Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: POTW for early July.

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Post of the Week > POTW for early July.   
Well itís currently my turn to select the ďPost of the WheneverĒ award for the first half of the month of July. In reviewing various posts that came in during that time, there were several that I really liked, but in narrowing my decision down today, the following post seemed to jump out at me.

A new member by the name of Areanel (who may not even see this) originally posted this on Wednesday, July 7th in the thread entitled "Topic, quotes & discussion". For the sake of reproducing the post here, I have done some minor editing just to make the post a bit easier to read. Anyway, on with the showÖ

Quote:
I know I'm new here, but the topic of hope in this forum really fascinates me, and I'm glad to have a chance to add something.

To be honest, the first time I read LOTR, I did it in spare time, and more for recreation. However I was drawn deeply into it and found myself moved to tears often by Tolkien's magnificent work. But the second time I read it, I had fallen very ill, and the passages of hope in utter darkness began to take on new meaning to me. Especially the quote...I wish it weren't so late, I'd find it and type it up properly...

However, I'm sure you know the part when Sam and Frodo are journeying through the blackened and barren lands of Mordor. At night, as Frodo sleeps, Sam sees the evil clouds part in the skies to reveal the star. Even if it is just for a short time, it is by far, perhaps the most wonderful, and hope instilling thing he could have seen at that moment.

I still find when I have a bad day, because I'm still sick, I like to turn to passages like that one and read it. Because it's true, "The shadow is only a passing thing."
I hope I've not rambled on too long...I just wanted to say that Thanks all.

What really touched me about Areanelís post was her personal connection with the theme of hope in Tolkienís LOTR due to her personal situation, and how in reading the book for a second time, all of the passages pertaining to hope took on new meaning for her.

Once again, I think we can all directly see from her post just how much Tolkienís works have such a positive effect on so many of our lives, and itís wonderful to see someone finding strength, truth, and the desire to persevere through personal tragedy from Tolkienís words.

I also think that Areanelís post serves as a constant reminder to us all that no matter how bad things may be in our lives at any given moment with whatever is going on, that we can never give up hope, and that there is always the promise of a new day!

Wherever you are out there Areanel, I sincerely hope that youíre feeling better, and I wish you all the best! Congrats on your selection for POTW!
Happy Elf Smilie
Yep, an interesting post in an interesting thread. *grin*. Congratulations!
Congratulations Areanel. Smile Smilie
Your post caught my eye too as I am always touched when someone can apply Tolkien's work to their own life and surroundings. This is what he meant by "applicability" and I am sure he would have been touched as well by your words.
Take care and I hope your health is improving.
Congratulations on winning POW, Areanel. That was a touching post knowing you are ill yourself. It is nice to know, however, that Tolkien is managing to give you some hope and enjoyment at this time. I wish you a speedy recovery.