Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Hi I'm Ant & I'm The New Owner

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Introduce yourself! > Hi I'm Ant & I'm The New Owner   [1] [2] >>
Waving Hello Smilie Hi everyone, I'm Ant and i just bought planet tolkien, I'm 29, and work in the web industry... My mum first read me the Hobbit when I was five, and i read the lord of the rings later the same year I've been a fan ever since!

I really do want to reassure everyone i'm going to preserve planet tolkien's community - we won't make any changes without discussion with the council. I want to improve what's here not change it - feel free to ask me any questions that may occur to you!

You'll also be meeting Holly soon who will work closely with the council and the members on content based changes and updates

Please let me know any thoughts you have on the future of planet tolkien.

--- ah and why grep?

Well i work with computers and the definition of grep is:

Acronym for Global-Regular-Expression-Print, grep is a utility that allows you to search through files for specicifed paterns, including regular expressions and strings. fgrep (FAST-GREP) performs a similar function without expanding special characters from a string. See also Regular Expression.

It's kinda a bad unix joke!

/Ant

---------answers to questions ----------
"Wow Ant, you must one extremely smart cookie! You read the LOTR trilogy when you were only 5 years old!"

errm well I was a special needs kid and while i had a stupidly high reading age, loved the TV news, newspapers, and could read books like LOTR and the like i couldn't do any maths and had terrible trouble communicating with anyone under the age of 30 (dictionary definition of geek is what i'm trying to say here)

"and am just curious to know if you have any plans to make a profit from this site?"

well honestly yes, but this doesn't involve charging the members - i do want to introduce and online store using amazon afiliates and i would ask members to purchase books and DVD's through us whenever possible - i love the community and want to expand the site but this will cost money and the site does need to pay for itself - but please don't worry this is your site and all changes will be discussed with the council first. We won't be putting advertising in every corner but will be expanding the sites commercial activity (hopefully in a good and useful way).

1. A search option for Tolkien-related data is wanted very badly by most people here-we are sick of the Encyclopedia of Arda!(At least I am...)

i'll look into it - it's possible the google site search tool may work i'll have to do some research and testing - but congratulations it's on the list!

2. I have recently made very shallow, ludicrous attempts at getting the former owner to restore the Art Galleries...would it really take all that much? There are some very talented fan artists here that could assist, I am sure...Anyway, it is a wish of mine to be able to see them someday again.

I would very much like to see them back up but the reason they were taken down again because of problems from the tolkien estate which i will need to look into before doing anything.

so why haven't you joined before? (grin). You liked it so much you bought it instead!

Very good question! Mostly in the last five years i've lived in Australia, Belgium, New Zealand, England and the USA and in Aussie this (Route 69) has been my hobby with a friend of mine, Aussie isn't really a place for indoor pursuits!
Grep, Grep, Grep...welcome, welcome, welcome! I am a newer member here at Planet-Tolkien, but am happy to see you here as I'm sure most will be. We've been waiting with bated breath to see who the new owner would be. So...big question -- Are you a Tolkien fan?

As for improvements...a search function would be great, so we can see if someone has already written about something that we are blabbering about!

Glad to see you dropping in, and hope to see you around more.
Hey there - i've updated my post to add a bit more info - sorry the first one was so brief!

/Ant
Quote:
Hi everyone, I'm Ant and i just bought planet tolkien, I'm 29, a web designer and work in the web industry... My mum first read me the Hobbit when I was five, and i read the lord of the rings later the same year I've been a fan ever since!

Wow Ant, you must one extremely smart cookie! You read the LOTR trilogy when you were only 5 years old! I tried to read The Hobbit when i was 9 and i quit half way through, my attention span was too short. Any how mind if i ask you a personal question? If you feel like i've stepped over a boundry, just ignore my question...

The final bid for this site was, i think, 6 600 pounds ( i presume United Kingdom pound?) that is $15,376.91 Canadian dollars. (where i live) I find that to be an extremely large amount of money for an website, and am just curious to know if you have any plans to make a profit from this site?
Túrin -- Do you really mean to ask Grep if he plans on charging membership fees?

In any case, I would believe someone who spends that much on a site must want to profit from it in one way or another and not just purchase it out of his absolute love of Tolkien and all of Tolkien's fans. This may not mean he will charge membership fees, but could benefit from it through advertisements and even as a portfolio to show potential clients.

I know...I'm not even Grep, and I find your question a bit over the boundary, but I suppose I should wait for Grep to answer...

Oh and yes, I agree...if you read LOTR when you were 5, you must be one smart cookie! That's funny, I, too, attempted to read The Hobbit when I was 9 and ended up putting it down.
Hello, Grep!
Welcome to Planet Tolkien, a great community of respect and fellowship. The most unique aspect of this site is its international membership, a fantastic group of warm people.

Thank you for introducing yourself. I cannot speak for the rest of us, but we were a tad bit worried about the new owner...I think perhaps we can all rest at ease. It is like someone here(that I admire and respect very much)said recently-Why would you buy something that you would need to completely work over to bring it up to your standards? But you seem open and friendly, so nice to have you aboard! What a wonderful investment! Now, to mimic Turin's question, will you be instituting any new costs to the members for membership or the like? I hope not...the Tolkien Estate would likely come after you! Animated Wink Smilie Only giving you a tough time-call it New Boss hazing for initiation's sake if you'd like.

A couple of suggestions, if I may:
1. A search option for Tolkien-related data is wanted very badly by most people here-we are sick of the Encyclopedia of Arda!(At least I am...)
2. I have recently made very shallow, ludicrous attempts at getting the former owner to restore the Art Galleries...would it really take all that much? There are some very talented fan artists here that could assist, I am sure...Anyway, it is a wish of mine to be able to see them someday again.

Best of luck with your newly acquired online community...just remember...
WE ARE WATCHING!!! Big Laugh Smilie
Phew! I am so relieved you are a Tolkien fan. I mean, any decent, self-respecting Tolkien fan would recognise this site as a wonderful place. and would wish to preserve and improve without unnecessary destruction.. so why haven't you joined before? (grin). You liked it so much you bought it instead!

Lots of questions but they can wait. I look forward to hearing your plans. I've had great fun with PT both as a member and a Council Member and I hope I (and everyone else) can be of help to you. Just shout if you need anything. Tea? Earl Grey, Lady Grey, Redbush, Yorkshire, Darjeeling or Assam? Milk? Sugar?
Quote:

Well i work with computers and the definition of grep is:
Acronym for Global-Regular-Expression-Print, grep is a utility that allows you to search through files for specicif paterns, including regular expressions and strings. fgrep (FAST-GREP) performs a similar function without expanding special characters from a string. See also Regular Expression. (rezidew)

Is that from the man page? :P

You know what? The first thing that came to my mind after reading Grep was.......... grep! I find that thing very much likable and I'm sure I'll have the same feelings for you! (If I don't already Wink Smilie ) Smile Smilie
Welcome Grep!

Seems you have already two positive points:
1) Tolkien fan
2) Unix fan

I think it will be nice having you here!
Welcome Grep to the little family we have here at PT. Guess this now makes you head of the household and resident benevolent leader. Looking forward to getting to know you better by reading your posts. Thanks for taking the time to say hello and give a little info about yourself. Cheers and welcome again Grep! Waving Hello Smilie
Yes, it is very much of a relief that you posted an account and are an affirmed Tolkien fan. Welcome to Planet-Tolkien and hope to see you around on the boards!
welcome to PT Grep! welcome to our big family!!! share and enjoy!!! Pary Smilie
Hi Grep, where in Belgium did you live?

I'm Belgian myself.
I lived in ixelles
Welcome to Planet Tolkien, boss. I hope you are not too busy to enjoy yourself around here. I'm still trying to restrain myself from giving you a big list of editing tools us CM's would like
Quote:
i'll look into it - it's possible the google site search tool may work i'll have to do some research and testing - but congratulations it's on the list!

That would be nice! Well ency of Arda is a decent start for newbies, but who needs that if we have Val and Virumor Wink Smilie j/k

Well met Grep! Keep us posted on the updates!

Rhapsody
(who wonders at which age Grep read the Silmarillion Wink Smilie )
Quote:
I'm still trying to restrain myself from giving you a big list of editing tools us CM's would like
You and me both, Val. Wink Smilie
Welcome Grep, looking forward getting to know you Happy Elf Smilie
WElcome grep. I still think reading LOTR when you were five was cool. It's quite amazing, actually.

Guys, will Taz still post once in a while? And will we get our mithril messages from Grep now, not Taz?
I know we had the Simarilion in the house when i was 5 or Six and i remember making an effort to try and read it but to little avail and then didn't get around to it again until i was 26 - i got lost in the realms of the Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy
Quote:
i got lost in the realms of the Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy

Oooo...42! I sure hope the new movie will be good.
Hello grep I am Kurt I am new myself so should be sumthing new for the both of us hopefully get sometime to chat with you and the rest of the people. Hopefully you do a good thing with the website
Hello Grep, I'm Freda and I'm Kurt's Sister. We're both new here and I see that you are too. Well everybody seems very nice and it looks like we're gonna have a fun time here. Congratulations on being the new owner of this site, and although I do not know Taz i would like to wish him good luck.
Freda.
Hello Grep, I am Hans.
I did not know thiss ite has new owner. I am new so hello agian.

Freda!? Are you here? I didn't know you where a member too. Did Kurt told you of htis site as well?
Well this is happy news Smile Smilie
Welcome, welcome! A most warm welcome to Grep! You've taken on quite a responsibility, but I'm sure you'll enjoy it. PT's community is filled to the brim with amazing and wonderful people, who I have come to love as a family. I greatly look forward to seeing you around! Jumping Flame Smilie
OK - I've moved the HHGTTG discussion to a new thread in The Prancing Pony so that we can keep this thread for welcoming Ant and anyone else like Kurt and Kurt's sister and friend... I've deleted those posts I copied over from this thread. Nice and tidy.

Welcome Kurt and sister and friend!
Hi Grep! Congratulations on your purchase of PT, and a big warm welcome to you to our PT community! I’m very much looking forward to seeing how the site develops under your ownership from this point on, and I sincerely hope that ultimately things here work out for you as planned!
Orc With Thumbs Up Smilie

Also a warm welcome to new PT members Kurt, Freda, and Hans_vanger, hope you all enjoy your time spent here!
Happy Elf Smilie
Yeah!!! What thingy said!!!!!!!!!!

What country are you from, Grep? Just curious.
I'm from england
Hello Grep,

I am Mellie, annd have been an absentee Council Memeber. I am glad you are here, and I hope you feel like part of our family. Don't forget to check out the Party Tree and other parts of the site to let us know more about you.

Mellie
Yo Grep! How may you be? I'm great. I just serve the throne of PT no matter who sits on it, so no rebellion from my side, not that there is going to be one ever! Have fun with the site. I'm looking forward to the revamping you will be doing. Enjoy your rule!
Hey guys and Grep (bows politley)

i didnt actually now this site had a head honcha! so Hello and welcome grep, u say u are from england eh where abouts i live in wiltshire prime farming country oh ar! i cant read and i cant write but it doesnt really matter, because i come from the west country and i can drive a tractor! yee haw!...LMAO...i too am a fan of tolkiens works especially the Hobbit and i am currently studying for my A levels the silmarillion. who to see u on the message boards cya all later Very Mad Smilie from Yunti
ok i feel like a prat sorry i meant hello Ant! hehehe (looking ashamed and embarrassed)
Grep I have one Question, could you make another way to become a commnity member??? like a PO box to send to??? and i had an idea wha if anyone who had 10,000 mithril could exchange that for 1 free month?? Because it would let members see if they wanted to become a PT Community supporter and not many people have 10,000 considering that it would require 200,000 logins

Anyway Welcome to PT!!!!
Tiger_Eyes
Welcome Grep.

Long live Planet-Tolkien, in all it's forms.
I (btw: Hi 42! Nice seeing ya again!)

Hey Grep! And there I go feeling silly, having already messaged you to ask who you are and what you did to Taz... Animated Wink Smilie Sorry 'bout that, must have missed this thread at the time.

Anyways, big welcome, nice to hear you're a Tolkien-fan (well, you'd have to be), and have such great plans for the site. I for one am totally with you so far.
Wow, 42... Long time no see.... How are things going? Nice to see you are still around.
So how's the web redesigning going?

How come the avatars are back? Now everyone han have one! Yeaay! Im so glad about that. I love my Ner'Zhul avatar. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
It's a very slow process, diging through all sorts of dark corners, elderly bugs and the like. It's the internet explorer bugs that are the worst! GO GET FIREFOX NOW!

I've been trying to fix the avatar bug for ages, in the end it turned out to be the juxtaposition of one line of code to another! I'm happy to see them back, they look good with the new fourm format.

What do you think of the new look so far?

This is just an intermediate stage, for me - but now the site properly CSS based and not saddled with the dreamweavered to death code it previously was i can get things under way.
hi im ant im im a new member
Hello Grep and crew. Wow! Things have sure changed around here!

Can anybody fill me in on the goss?
Not much gossip nowadays. Though the threads that are active right now seem to be the ones about books and movies. So step in the book discussion and get blasted by either Val or Miruvor or our new fellow debater Lord of All.
u no that...uhhh...that cloveress. shes a....uhhhh....u right old gossiper......
And watch out for that Cloveress, she one right trickster!
I don't understand where I get all this "trickster" character from...
Time to cling her to a rock, and let a serpent drip poison on her brow.
You'll regret this, Mother Mir!

But allow me to inquire, what poison are you planning to use?
Honey, as it draws more flies and lengthens the time prior to expiration, subjecting the victum to everlasting torment.

Meanwhile, we should probably get back on topic, whatever this thread is about, for this isn't a chatroom.
Father Grondy sir, this thread is about the new owner Grep. And I must say I'm jolly glad he bought this site. From what I gather about here, there was another guy before him, right? Although I didn't know that other owner I must say I thank him most sincerely for making Planet Tolkien happen. And also from my gatherings, I figured that we were all very anxious when PT was to be sold. But everyone was relieved that Grep bought it. I can say so for myself too. I remember the first time I logged onto PT I saw the old Mithril message from Grep. And it gave me such a wonderful feeling. For a long time I looked for Grep in the discussions but I couldn't find him much. It was awfully disappointing, since I thought he would be very active. But after I found out his little role in this community I got used to his lurking presence here.

Anyways, I, like any other member of PT, am really glad that we have Grep/Ant as a leader (or one of them). Go Greppy!
hi,
i just wanted to say a wee hi... i'm new here...i was glad to find this site...i love all things tolkien----my favourite characters are faramir, eowyn, galadriel, n arwen(aragorn goes without saying).... on the lotr personality test, i am galadriel(sometmes arwen depending on my mood) my 2 neices(9 n 6) and 2 of my 3 nephews(7 n 5;the 3 yr old tries) like to do the quizes with me n get quite involved in the lord of the rings and narnia with me... i'm quite shy; but, rather friendly... once you get to know me i can go on n on...lol...

love to all in Christ,
bridget
  [1] [2] >>