Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: New member from Dorset, UK

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Introduce yourself! > New member from Dorset, UK   
Hi all,
I've been a member for a while, but it's about time I got off my backside and wrote this intro!
I'm originally from Hall Green, Birmingham (although I didn't know about Sarehole at the time - somewhat embarassing!).
I've always been interested in languages and foreign lands, and took to Tolkien's Hobbit and LOTR when I was 9. This interest has continued, and I now have a degree in European Studies and German from Aston Uni (yes, I returned to my native homeland in Bham for a while).
I now live in Wimborne, near Bournemouth in Dorset, UK.
Anyway, please get in touch (regardless of location - I now speak a little Greek and Bulgarian as well!) if you fancy a natter!
Ben
Welcome! You sound very smart!! I like smart people and english people!! English accents sound sooo intelligent and the way you guys dress with the scarves and stuff and like you just all seem so intelligent and neat! I saw a guy in Caribou Coffee and he had an english accent and I just stared at him hoping he would say hi so I could meet an English person in real life for the first time!! Then I could listen to his intelligent, english accent all the time and we could become best buddies. Although I am only 13 and he was like older (I have no idea what so ever how to guess peoples ages, it's so difficult for me, especially young kids, their the tricky ones). Well I bet by this time I have scared you off and I haven't even introduced myself, so immersed in english accents. I'm Megan and it's great here you'll like it!!
No, you haven't scared me off! I wouldn't go as far as saying English people sound intelligent - it depends totally on what they are saying, just like anyone else!
I've got a few cassettes of Tolkien reading his own work; sometimes it's difficult to make out what he's saying!
There are also some other wonderful accents out there - the Austrian accent has a beautiful 'rolling' sound to it. The Greek accent has some nice soft sounds in it. And I love the Jamaican accent - it's a very 'bouncy' accent, full of life, even when the person who's speaking isn't!
Do you have any favourite accents (apart from English)?
It also gets slightly annoying with the way the English treat languages. When people come to England, they are expected to speak English. Yet few English people make the effort to speak a foreign language (even when, for example, buying a beer at a bar in Spain) when they are abroad. With the exception of English, do you speak any other languages? Or even Quenya? I'd like to learn this, but haven't got round to it. Wouldn't it be cool to be able to have an online chat completely in Quenya? Then we'd have a language EVERYONE can learn - and invent new words where Tolkien didn't complete the language!
Anyway, cheers for replying!
Waving Hello Smilie

Hi Ben, welcome to our little society! I just wanted to say I love to hear British folk speak English, it sounds so terribly nice. I'm from Belgium myself, and speak Dutch as my mothertongue. I also speak English, Russian, a bit of French and a very small bit of German. It's always nice to know some languages, easier when you go on holiday... Tongue Smilie I would love to learn Italian one day too. *sigh*

Anyway, I hope you enjoy your hopefully long stay here at PT! Cheers!
Hi Bdc, from a fellow UKer - originally from Essex but relocated to Berkshire. I have family (husband is a Brummie) in Great Barr!

I love English, I think it is the best language in the world for literature but then I am biased because I don't speak any other language well enough to converse. I have great respect for all those non-English-speaking-as-a-first-language members of PT who communicate so well both here and in the chat room. However, I have difficulty in understanding other English accents, especially the Brummie one! And they all think I am a Cockney even though I don't have anything like a Cockney accent.

Anyway, glad to have you aboard.
Hello and WELCOME Ben !!!! Smile Smilie Smile Smilie I hope you will have a great time on PT .
I simply love England , but also Irland.The language is Wonderful !! I worked in London before , but I am from Norway Elf Winking Smilie
welcome, welcome to PT Bdc!!! share and enjoy!! Orc With Thumbs Up Smilie Juggling Smilie
Well, compared to the American accent (we actually don't really have an accent, at least I dont think so) the English accents sounds sooo brilliant and intelligent. I mean come on when you listen to an american person say a sentence and then an english person says the same sentence the english person sounds way more intelligent. At least I think so.
Tongue Smilie
Howdy Bdc, welcome to Planet-Tolkien. Happy Elf Smilie We Americans including our Canadian friends have many regional accents and hardly speak English at all, or the Queen's English anyway. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie Americanese is my only language, though if I put my mind to it I can understand Igpay Atinlay.
Ello Ben, Waving Hello Smilie

Nice to see another Brit, well impressed you can speak other languages, I can't. Hope you enjoy PT. I'm having a great time - everyone sooo friendly. Looking forward to your threads. Wiggle Smilie

Wonder how many people there are from each country on PT - does anyone know???