Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Greetings

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Introduce yourself! > Greetings   
Hello, I am Jael. I found this site last night and joined in order to post on an existing thread.

I'm here for the community, in search of intelligent discussion somewhere between the truly arcane Tolkien scholarship and the "OMG -- isnt Orli cute!" stuff. (Although, he IS one of the benefits of seeing this beloved book brought to the screen at last. )

I think I may be a little older than the rest of you, having first read the trilogy back during my 17th summer, in 1966. The Hobbit came a year later, with The Silmarillion and the Lost Tales when they were published. All I can say is, I waited a long time to see this, and I'm generally pleased with Jackson's version.
Quote:
in search of intelligent discussion somewhere between the truly arcane Tolkien scholarship and the "OMG -- isnt Orli cute!" stuff.

Its a little too sad but we've not been able to achieve that perfection yet. With you on board, I hope we'll have the light leverage. Please guide us.

Quote:
(Although, he IS one of the benefits of seeing this beloved book brought to the screen at last. )

You think so? He was the beggest mistake PJ ever made.

Quote:
I think I may be a little older than the rest of you, having first read the trilogy back during my 17th summer, in 1966.

And I thought you would have more sense than to appreciate Mr. Doom

Quote:
All I can say is, I waited a long time to see this, and I'm generally pleased with Jackson's version.

Finally, something we can agree upon.

And yes, before I leave, A very big welcome to you from all of us!
Hello and Welcome...
I've really enjoyed it here since I started, and I'm sure you will too...I've learned a lot, and come to appreciate Tolkien's work a lot.

Lord Aragorn....that was just a little harsh...considering Orli is rather worth watching... Jumping Flame Smilie But anyways....Welcome!
Hello Jael. Welcome to Planet-Tolkien. Happy Elf Smilie Well, you started reading Tolkien a year before I did, but I'm almost a decade older than you.

Yes it was a pain waiting for the follow-on books to be published and waiting to find this forum where we could finally find like-minded fellow Middle-earth travelers with whom to share our views.
Quote:
Its a little too sad but we've not been able to achieve that perfection yet. With you on board, I hope we'll have the light leverage. Please guide us.

Yowser! Was I just flamed? No matter, you can place me halfway between a Tolkien scholar and a lightweight. It matters not. Animated Wink Smilie

So, what's wrong with movie Legolas, other than the hair (they'e all got that, by the way) and the fact that he's got a bunch of screaming adolescents trailing him? I found the whole "Elvish assassin" schtick intriguing. Plus, i like cats. That must be it.. Big Smile Smilie
Quote:
I found the whole "Elvish assassin" schtick intriguing.

Don't you just love it when he melodramatically turns his head and goes "A red sun rises.... blood has been spilt this night".

That one never fails to crack me up. He tries a bit too hard to be a serious actor.
welcome to PT, Jael!!

Quote:
He tries a bit too hard to be a serious actor.

that's true... Ha Ha Ha Smilie but let's be fair, it was his first movie, and I guess that was a tough start. he did a fine job.
Quote:
Yowser! Was I just flamed?

Nope. Just grilled on a low flame.
Quote:
Don't you just love it when he melodramatically turns his head and goes "A red sun rises.... blood has been spilt this night".

That one never fails to crack me up. He tries a bit too hard to be a serious actor.

I actually feel sorry for the poor young schmuck. It was his first major movie, and he certainly didn't have the clout to tell the director, "I'm not saying THAT."

It more more the fault of Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens, who, if they had a fey and improbably line, put it in the mouth of the elf. My other favorite is "They run as if the very whips of their masters were behind them." In the Director's commentary of TT, Boyens gives Orlando credit for being able to get that out.

I hear it stood him in good stead in "Troy" where the dialogue was even worse. Big Laugh Smilie
To Lord Aragorn
Quote:
Nope. Just grilled on a low flame.

I was kidding. i've been flamed before. I even went down in flames on a news type forum. Why do you suppose I'm here in Elfland taking a vacation? Smile Smilie
Quote:
It more more the fault of Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens, who, if they had a fey and improbably line, put it in the mouth of the elf.

Well, Legolas does say the exact line in in the books.

But, nonetheless, it wasn't really brought very convincing by Mr Bloom.

Anyway, i'm sure that scene caused many female specimens, of no particular age, to faint.
Hmmm...I don't have a problem with that line, Mir. My biggest problem (besides the portrayal of Faramir) is with Aragorn's supposedly rousing speech in front of the gates of Mordor. What was that?! Is he William Wallace or something? Wink Smilie

Welcome, Jael! I hope to see you around. In general, we can all be a bit silly, but we can be quite serious at times too...especially when it comes to discussing Tolkien's literature. You will find quite a few people here who know a lot! (I'm definitely not one of them, but I try my best to apply literary theory to what I do know about Tolkien's works.)
To Miruvor
Quote:
Anyway, i'm sure that scene caused many female specimens, of no particular age, to faint.

It makes me groan. And please, don't ask me what I think of the skateboard scene at Helm's Deep. Bloom's acting was much better when he wasn't talking. And I mean that quite seriously. He got the physicality down very well. (Skateboards aside.) Very Big Grin Smilie
To Eruwen
Quote:
My biggest problem (besides the portrayal of Faramir) is with Aragorn's supposedly rousing speech in front of the gates of Mordor. What was that?! Is he William Wallace or something?

How about Theoden wasting time before the charge at Pelennor? I can just see the poor folks inside the walls of Minas Tirith thinking, "C'mon buddy, we're dying in here!"

I think everyone has to be William Wallace now, in every movie with a sword and a horse. It's a law. Very Big Grin Smilie

My apologies for posting twice, but I can't figure out how to get two quotes into a post. My message box goes all hinky on me when I try to edit and put in another one.

I can be the queen of silliness when it suits me. But as a writer of fanfic, I'm interested in doing some heavy duty research. I have many of the books, but I lack Morgoth's Ring, which is a big handicap. Paranoid Smilie
Hi and a warm WELCOME to you Jumping Flame Smilie You seem to know a lot about Tolkien , hope you will share some of it with us in different threads, enjoy Elf Winking Smilie
Quote:
And please, don't ask me what I think of the skateboard scene at Helm's Deep.

So what do you think of the scene in which Legolas apparantly surfs down the trunk of the Mumakil?
Of course most of the posts in this thread would have been better written under the movie threads or one of Lego-lass's Character threads rather than this Introduction thread; so I suggest it continues in one or more of them. Please. Happy Elf Smilie
welcome to Pt Jael!!!! glad to have you here!! Juggling Smilie Pary Smilie