Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Good Morning

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Introduce yourself! > Good Morning   
S'pose it's about time I got 'round to this, especially since I seem to be feeling particularly verbose today, even for me; greetings, all. For the record, others may force me to call myself an "Elf" but I prefer the more accurate designation of "Noldorin." I'll try (really hard) not to get preachy on ya'll, but my posts to date should give a pretty accurate view of my position. Let's just say I plan to be around after the Great Wrack, and given Tolkiens background, this sometimes unavoidably creeps into my discussion of his work. I know my sig says I'm in Lothlorien, but that's more of an origin, really; I'm actually in Texas for the moment, and if I sometimes feel the last of my kind in the area, it has less to do with my race than my politics and religion (two subjects my grandfather always said were gauranteed to start a fight, so I'll leave it there.)

Now to a brief rant: while a Noldor, I'm not descended from the High King, and, as such, have no Vanyar blood (of which I know) in my veins, so my hair is NOT blonde, or golden, or anything similar; it's a dark brown, almost black. I'm not sure how a certain mortal movie director got the idea that most of the Eldar are blonde, when Tolkien clearly states that this was exceptionally uncommon in our race, and confined to the House of Finarfin, owing to his mother. I don't recall seeing as many blondes in Lothlorien as were represented in the movies, as our Queen is no more prolific than others of our race. I can only chalk this up to the same type of creative license that had Arwen flooking the Ford of Bruinen with some kind of Eldarin "magic" unique to her, rather than her father doing it with the Ring of Power well suited to such an act. The presence in Tolkiens more accurate version of Glorfindel changes nothing; there were only two places in Middle Earth anyone of the House of Finarfin was likely to be at the time, just as in the case of the other Glorfindel at the sorrow and glory filled Fall of Gondolin. Given the hostile view Thingol took of his sisterskins association with the (other) Noldorin leaders it seems unlikely (to say the least) that any of the House of Finarfin would have married into the royal line and thus give Legolas blonde hair; I really don't know what Jackson was thinking there. Oh, well....

Is there anyway to add/use a search function on this board or am I missing something? Being new here it would certainly help me navigate favorite topics, but since I'm not in a position to pony up some cash to implement such a thing I can't complain too much. Just wondering. Now back to the (other) fun.
Quote:
Given the hostile view Thingol took of his sisterskins association with the (other) Noldorin leaders it seems unlikely (to say the least) that any of the House of Finarfin would have married into the royal line and thus give Legolas blonde hair; I really don't know what Jackson was thinking there. Oh, well....

It is mentioned in the Silmarillion that Vanyar have golden hair, and Noldor have dark hair, but later due to Finw's marriage to Indis of the Vanyar, blond hair entered the House of the Noldor.

But it is not mentioned what hair colour was most abundant amongst the highest group of Quendi, being the Teleri, the group Legolas belongs to. So it's possible both dark and blond hair were equally divided amongst the Teleri, which leads to the conclusion that Legolas could have had blond hair.

It is true though, that showing almost every Elf on screen as blond, as in the movies, is not very 'realistic'.

Anyway, i am glad that someone takes this matter to heart - i for me am annoyed by the fact that movie Faramir has brown hair, when JRRT clearly mentions Faramir to have dark hair :
Quote:
And so they stood on the walls of the City of Gondor, and a great wind rose and blew, and their hair, raven and golden, streamed out mingling in the air.

Sincerely,

miruvor
Hello !! Welcome to PT !!! Share and enjoy Elf Winking Smilie
Hello Morambar and welcome. I have read a few of your posts and enjoyed them and I will do my best to join the discusions when a) I have time b) I have energy and c) the Cable Guy has fixed my broken cable modem (it is not nice when one's connection drops every few seconds).

And Vir (sorry, Miruvor) don't get me started on what 'they' did to Faramir in the movies...

P.S. To all newbies - I've posted the FAQ again. Any questions? And by the way, politics and religion are not topics for discussion on PT although sensible discussion within the context of Tolkien and his work is permitted. Morambar is quite right - those subjects can cause serious conflict.
Hi Morambar, the color of your hair, or whether you have any at all matters not a whiff around here, everyone is welcome as long as they have an interest in Tolkien and his writings. You especially so as you seem able to string words together such that we the illiterati can understand them. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie See you around the forums. Happy Elf Smilie
Quote:
And Vir (sorry, Miruvor) don't get me started on what 'they' did to Faramir in the movies...

Well, pity PJ messed up Far's hair. Apart from that, he's almost exactly like in the books...

Elf Sticking Tounge Out Smilie
*splutter* but... but... what about Faramir and his dad, Faramir and his brother, Faramir and Frodo, Sam, Gollum.... Oh hang on! This is a wind up isn't it. You naughty person, you.
Pft, who cares, it's just the best PJ could do. Obviously he didn't have the will and talent to give us anything better.

The One director, the maestro Mr Spielberg should've done it.

Anyway, Faramir's character is explained in the movies, isn't it ? He wants to take the Ring to daddy so that daddy would love him as much as big bro. And later on he tries to make daddy love him by riding fiercely into the battle.

Yup, makes perfect sense to me. PJ really changed the story for the better !
But that's just it: in the book, Faramirs desire to please his father is strong, but his sense of a Higher Duty compels him to leave Frodo to his task (hence the conflict Denethor always falsely perceived as a preference for Gandalf over him.) In the film, he falls prey to the same failing as Boromir and circumstance merely robs him of the chance to pursue it to the same destruction.

And lest I forget, thanks all, seems a friendly site, and Grondmaster, I'm touched; it's been a long time since someone actually APPRECIATED the way I write (I do run on, and some folks call me on it on other sites,) and after I Broke The Rule, too.
Quote:
But that's just it: in the book, Faramirs desire to please his father is strong, but his sense of a Higher Duty compels him to leave Frodo to his task (hence the conflict Denethor always falsely perceived as a preference for Gandalf over him.) In the film, he falls prey to the same failing as Boromir and circumstance merely robs him of the chance to pursue it to the same destruction.

I know what's in the books. The point is : it does not matter what is in the books. The movie is just an adaptation, nothing more. Whether we agree or disagree with PJ's adaptation, is another thing.

In PJ's adaptation, the emphasis is clearly set on action and battle; another director might have put more emphasis on the underlying themes of friendship, endurance, hope, etc. and given us less f/x and pixels, who knows. PJ just wanted to satisfy the masses and make a lot of money by giving the public what they all want nowadays : brainless action cheese mixed with wisecracks that's supposed to make up for no story.

That was his choice. A director like Mr Spielberg who has nothing anymore to prove, might have given us something else.
Mabye that's the prob. If Jackson wanted to please the masses (by appealing to the LCD) he should've made an "Independence Day" knock off rather than tackling something with an existing dedicated and passionate fan base. Long had I waited for a QUALITY LotR movie(s) fearing the challenges of recreating the atmosphere and the sfx difficulties of the demi-humans would be too great, but no, he gets the hard parts right and muffs the storyline. I felt an obligation to see the films the first time, and in the theatre, too, but watching them more than once would just p--s me off (more.)

BTW, as I write this, I'm noticing an ad for an "entirely dedicated to Pagans" site above. What's up with that? I thought religion, at least out of the Tolkien context, was strictly verboten?
The non-family friendly ads are supposed to be filtered out, but as we have no direct control over them and Ant.Grep needs the money to improve the site, we will just have to 'grim and bare it'. Orc Grinning Smilie
Well, I think I'll just grin and bear it for now (what is it about the net that does that with homophones?) no one wants to see that. I guess since I'm not really in a position to pony up support cash I can't complain too much.

Or perhaps you had in mind "Till shade is gone, till water is gone,into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinders eye on the last day." (A google of the above phrase turned up a sig "demanding" the return of Hurin, but I think his kid would fit in better.)
I've finally recovered my Silmarillin (yea!) and so also the passage I had in mind and can now quote (I dislike asserting things from memory, but will, occasionally do itSmile Smilie

"Finarfin The third son of Finw, they younger of Fanor's half-brothers; remained in A,man after the Exile of the Noldor and ruled the remnant of his people in Tirion. Alone among the Noldorin princes he and his descendants had golden hair, derived from his mother Indis, who was a Vanyarin Elf (see Vanyar)." (Index to The Silmarillion, page 330 in the '77 hardback edition.)

"Alone" seems pretty clear; at least among the Noldor, blonde hair was non-existent among any others of noble blood, and likely rare (at least) among others, since the gene was absent from the Noldor until mingling with the Vanyar. Thus, Legolas COULD be blonde (it's implied, but not explicitly stated, that blonde hair was a uniquely Vanyar trait; the gene is recessive) since he wasn't Noldorin, but for any others it's unlikely (following the above reasoning, Celeborn and some of the other Lorien Eldar, as Sindar, COULD have been blonde, but not all of them.) This was actually one of the first Tolkien discussions in which I was involved way back when, so I kinda imprinted on it a bit.