Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Greetings!

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Introduce yourself! > Greetings!   
Hello Planet-Tolkien!

I am Elendae and have been a fan of Tolkien since my father shoved a much-worn copy of The Hobbit into my hands back in 1978 and said, "Read this, you'll like it." As it turned out, he was right. Later that same year, he took me to the theater to see Ralph Bakshi's version of LOTR (I hadn't read it yet). After the film, I demanded of him to turn over his copy of the book (the 1968 Ballentine paperbacks whose covers make one picture if you lay the books side to side). This he obliged to and I devoured them. I still have in my possession those paperbacks (though I rarely touch them having upgraded to the 1987 Collector's Edition printing) and my father always asks to see them when he comes out for one of his bi-annual visits (we live about a four-hour drive apart).

Over the years, I moved on to The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, The History of Middle-Earth and whatever else I could get my hands on. I found myself drawn to Tolkien's creative process as an author and have spent many hours (days - years) trying to get a greater understanding of what he had done.

I must give a heartfelt thanks to Grep and Grondmaster for their patience in helping me setup my account here.

I look forward to many enjoyable conversations.

Elendae
Welcome, Elendae!!
I am so glad that Grep and Grondy finally were able to sort out the login problem.
I look forward to reading your insight into our dear professor's works and your adventures in Middle Earth.
Welcome!!I hope you enjoy PT as much as we do,I'm sure you are!!I am looking forward to learning from you!!See you in the treads Ninerl
Welcome! I hope you will find that it was worth the wait. Smile Smilie
Hello and WELCOME to PT ElendaeSmile Smilie Share and enjoyHappy Elf Smilie
Welcome to our happy family Elendae. Happy Elf Smilie Sorry it took so long for us to let you through the doors. Sort of like we got mixed up with the difference between 'say the password and enter' and 'say friend and enter': you kept expecting a password and we kept saying 'mellon'. Anyway, I'm glad we finally got it straightened away. Cool Elf Smilie

Those Ballentine paperbacks with the scary crebain, were also my first contact and I wore them out along with the 1983 edition. My working copies, with the movie covers, are on their last legs; but I have another new boxed set waiting in the wings, and can always fall back on my Easton Press leather bound collectors' editions. I have a first American edition of The Silmarillion and its dust jacket which I had preordered, but there again I use the Ballentine paperbacks to take the wear and tear as my working copies.

Anyway Elendae, I hope you have fun here. Orc Grinning Smilie Share and enjoy.
Hello and Welcome Elendae, hope you enjoy your stay here, we do enjoy to see new members, share your knowledge and hopefully youll learn something new, as we do nearly every week or day.

See you around the threads Big Smile Smilie
you knw, it was just a while ago i relized that "share and enjoy" is what either the doors or (this is the right one) the "drink-o-matic or wotever said whenever it made a cup of the same liquid.
yep
so share and enjoy

Yes Elrose, I lifted those words from Douglas Adams's The Restaurant at the End of the Universe, where he attributed them to the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation's Nutri-Matic Drinks Synthesizer, which made that statement as it 'produced a plastic cup filled with a liquid which was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea.' I thought they also had a non-sarcastic applicability here on the forum as a summation of our welcoming statements. I also use them as my signature on a couple game forums that I frequent when I get stuck due to my own ineptitude or the computer game's built-in bugs. Orc Grinning Smilie

Share ans enjoy!
Welcome to PT. I hope you enjoy your time here.

I'll see you on the threads.

Earwen

(P.S. I think share and enjoy is very appropriate, I use it all the time. Much to my friends dissapproval!)