Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Mae Govannen

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Introduce yourself! > Mae Govannen   
Mae Govannen. I am called Luthien Calafalas, or in the common tongue my name would be Andrea. I am 36 years old, married for 13 years, with 2 teenage daughters and a 5 month old boxer puppy called Hephaestian.

I live in a converted school house (think Little House on the Prairie, only bigger) in Tennessee, and work as credit manager for a jewelry store. I love to read anything I can get my hands on, listen to all genres of music, and be with my family.

My husband is a volunteer fire fighter, and my 17 year old just got her first job and driver's permit. I like to host Party Lite candle and Pampered Chef parties, and collect many different things. As you can probably tell, my life is rather busy!

That's about it about me I guess. Nice to meet ya'll.

Hi and welcome to PT, Luthiencalafalas. I loved reading the Little House on the Prairie(etc) books when I was a kid. I always wanted to live in a house like On The Banks of Plum Creek.

Hope to see you around in various discussions.
hi an welcom to PT, i hope you have a good a time as i have been having Big Smile Smilie

as a small aside you said

"Luthien Calafalas, or in the common tongue my name would be Andrea"
well i dont think luthian can really be translated as andrea,

Andrea comes from the Greek name Andreas which in turn came from the word Andros "man", and is ment to convey the meaning "manly" (sorry, im sur your not really manly!) in quenya this would be something like Veon, for sindarin i would probally save face and go for "man-maiden" to clear up any confusion a name like "manly" could cause, so possibly Adanwen,(although i persoanlly would prefere the slightly more archaic drwen (dr "Arch. man, referring to an adult male (elf, mortal, or of any other speaking race) + wen "maiden", luthien i would imagine contains the word lutha- "to enchant" and so i dont think is even anywhere near themeaning of your name,

i digress tho, welcome !! Big Smile Smilie
as an additional to the above message, Luthien i think would maybe be rendered in real world languages as,
ZORAIDA, a feminine name, used in spain, it comes from Arabic meaning "enchanting woman" (fits MY entymology of the name luthien given above, an definatly fits the 'real' luthien)

Big Smile Smilie

(i know you didnt quite mean that comment in the way i have taken, but hey, ya learn something new every day ehh?)
Quote:
Andrea comes from the Greek name Andreas which in turn came from the word Andros "man", and is ment to convey the meaning "manly" (sorry, im sur your not really manly!)

Yes, and that is why Andrea is used as a man's name in Italy.

Quote:
in quenya this would be something like Veon, for sindarin i would probally save face and go for "man-maiden" to clear up any confusion a name like "manly" could cause, so possibly Adanwen

What about Nerwen, Galadriel's mother-name?

Welcome to the forums, Lthien.
Quote:
well i dont think luthian can really be translated as andrea

I don't think she ment it like that, I'm pretty sure she was just trying to say that her real name was Andrea. Wink Smilie
Which is a female name i Norway too btw. Welcome welcome! Waving Hello Smilie
Welcome Luthien, enjoy your stay here, hopefully you will stay here for a while, for we are a friendly lot, so please feel free to PM any member for any queries you may have Orc Smiling Smilie

Orc With Thumbs Up Smilie Share what you know and learn what you seek Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
Virumor, i belive that nerwen is half quenya and half sindarin, Ner being the quenya word for "man" (in the NON-biblical sense) + -wen (sindarin "maiden") Big Smile Smilie

and i know what she ment, hence my commment in my second post Big Smile Smilie
Welcome to Planet-Tolkien Luthiencalafalas. Happy Elf Smilie

I think both your names are beautiful and a rose by any other name will still look, smell, and taste as sweet, no matter what our local loquacious linguists have to say. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie

Share and enjoy.
Welcome, Andrea. I live in the mountains of North Carolina. Beautiful part of world to live in. Make yourself at home. You'll enjoy the lengthy digressions and friendly banter in the inns. This is a great place to hangout.
"Mai omentaina" equ Noss Arcastardo (the people of Planet-Tolkien say "Well met")!

Quote:
no matter what our local loquacious linguists have to say

Well, I was going to say that it would be monotonous if we all used Elvish names that directly corresponded to the meaning of our real-life names; having two hundred "Anneru"s or "Manveru"s running around one site would get confusing. I'd just go with what sounds nice (I certainly don't use the translation of my real-life name); the Eldar chose names for themselves according to their own lmatyv (sound-taste, i.e. taste in language) when they came of age. They first received names similar to those of their parent of the same sex, and then an insightful name by the mother about their personality or characteristics, but eventually after maturing and developing a taste for certain sounds chose their own name, which was 'private' and only used among intimates, i.e. friends, family. Andrea's use of Luthien Calafalas just continues the tradition of a young elf choosing his or her name according to their own taste in phonology. Thumbs Up Smilie Waving Hello Smilie
and i dissagree not, i was just mearly pointing somestuff out is al Big Smile Smilie

im a linguist by mind and heart, my mouth on the other hand, sometimes runs away with me Big Smile Smilie

sorry if ive caused offence, was mearly tryin to educate Big Smile Smilie
Hi and a warm welcome to you LuthiencalafalasWaving Hello Smilie I'm glad you found your way around to join us Smile Smilie SHARE and ENJOYSmile Smilie