Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Greetings...

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Introduce yourself! > Greetings...   
Hello dear friends and co-travellers...
I have just arrived and I 'm honoured to be here amongst such admirable companions.Let us enjoy the nightfall in Middle-Earth together...
Quote:
I 'm honoured to be here amongst such admirable companions

Admirable....pffffffft Elf With a Big Grin SmilieElf With a Big Grin SmilieElf With a Big Grin Smilie

I offer the most sincerest welcome to you Tear-Maiden, enjoy your stay here, we're a happy bunch of coconuts. (Oh and in case nobody remembers, I used I'm honoured to be here in my intro thread and I was thrown the same sarcasm Orc Smiling Smilie )

Welcome again, friend.......
Quote:
(Oh and in case nobody remembers, I used I'm honoured to be here in my intro thread and I was thrown the same sarcasm )

Perhaps I should pass it on then! Make some sort of tradition... Thanks for your kind welcome Elessar...
Heya Nienor Waving Hello Smilie A WARM WELCOME TO YOU. I'm glad you found your way to PT Smile Smilie Feel free to ask anything Smile Smilie See you around in the threads .SHARE AND ENJOY
I really love your avatar ..it's beautiful
OH NO! How did you find me?! I think I'll disappear now.

(quietly sneaks out the side door)
Thank you so much Mellon.I hope I 'll be seeing you around too !
And Turin... whatever has happened between us is history now.So don't run away... lol
Quote:
I offer the most sincerest welcome to you Tear-Maiden, enjoy your stay here, we're a happy bunch of coconuts.

Níniel means Tear-maiden, not Nienor.
Quote:

Quote:
I offer the most sincerest welcome to you Tear-Maiden, enjoy your stay here, we're a happy bunch of coconuts.

Níniel means Tear-maiden, not Nienor.

I think this is true.Nienor is Sindarin for sorrow (anybody correct me if I'm wrong...)
Quote:
Níniel means Tear-maiden, not Nienor

Of course I knew that, but as the original Nienor Níniel has Tear-Maiden is incorporated/in that, I went for Tear-Maiden, seemed more simple rather than to make a really sloppy translation of Nienor, which I have found there isn't. (Where did you find that translation of sorrow as there is no word for sorrow in Sindarin) Elf Confused Smilie so I'll stick with Tear-Maiden Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
Sorrow is tied with tears most of the time, anyways... And Nienor certainly had causes to weep for...

Anyways, I welcome GRANDLY and graciously to Planet Tolkien, where all live in harmony (but a few riotous individuals) and enjoy the peace of an undisturbed world in Cyberspace.

I am the Cloveress of Planet Tolkien. And I believe this is the second time I've said that obnoxious line to a newbie. But you see, I am THE Cloveress because nobody else is a Cloveress here, which makes me THE Cloveress!

And oh yes... Nienor, you'll be meeting a lot of Turins around here. But thankfully, all of our dragons are dormant. So don't worry!

Hope to see you around more...

Cloveress

Nienor says 'Mourning you named me' in The Narn (where it is also said, for example 'and she named her Nienor, which is Mourning')

Anyway, Greetings! Happy Elf Smilie
Very nice to meet you both Cloveress and Balin!!!
Just stoping by to extend my greetings as well. Welcome to PT!!! Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
Quote:
Nienor says 'Mourning you named me' in The Narn

No, she was named IN the morning, they stayed up the previous night thinking of names, then came to a conclusion the following day Elf With a Big Grin Smilie

edit: After researching etc, I found that Nienor (in the split translation), would mean Running Tears, so Mourning would be very much appropriate along with Tear-Maiden, still quite sad even to have one name with sadness implied, let alone two........
Sneaking in to wish you a heartily welcome Nienor, you'll be seen and welcomed around in threads!!
Angel Smilie
Quote:
edit: After researching etc, I found that Nienor (in the split translation), would mean Running Tears...

At the time of Etymologies (at least) -nor in 'Nuinor' looks like 'sad, lamentable' rather than 'running'.

Quote:
NAY- lament. naeth (nakt-) 'biting' is associated in N with this stem, and gets senses of gnashing teeth in grief: (...) Q naire lament, naina- lament. N noer adj. sad, lamentable; nae alas, Q nai. Q, ON noi, nui, lament (*naye); Nuinoer, Nuinor, name of Túrin's sister.' Etymologies

Obviously we are in early waters there, but I'm guessing the idea that 'running' is involved is your interpretation (and thus you said 'would mean' not 'means') as opposed to finding Tolkien's etymology somewhere.
Quote:
Obviously we are in early waters there, but I'm guessing the idea that 'running' is involved is your interpretation (and thus you said 'would mean' not 'means') as opposed to finding Tolkien's etymology somewhere.

Yes, I didn't mean it literally that it IS the proper translation, but it was appropriate for the sadness etc, but I'm sure there is some way of finding the etymology.... woe is the world when one knows and the rest does not....
Salut!
How glad I am that you have come to be with this happy lot. I felt very nervous and lost when I first came but in no time that melted away and now it is a home away from home.
I look forward to reading many thoughts and opinions from you.
Im fairly new myself but since im here: WELCOME! Waving Hello Smilie
Yes and a heart felt welcome to you as well. May your stay here be long and happy. Smile Smilie