Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Re-Introduce yourself.

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Introduce yourself! > Re-Introduce yourself.   

A quick plea, it must be strange to see us here and it's strange for us to be in a new environment.

Once upon a time we all joined a forum somewhere and said hi. We all shared a little about ourselves so others might get a sense of who we are, As we try to merge our communities it might be nice to share again.

I know I did a bit in the THM saying Hi thread, but I'll recap here too! Tolkien fan since the age of 10 I regularly reread the books, which have spolit me for fantasy. Love Narnia, HP and Pratchett too!

Other authors i frequently return to are Aldiss, Peter F Hamilton, Bernard Cornwell and Jane Austen

I enjoyed the LOTR films and still do, although in discussion with others I am increasingly 'Purist' in my opinions.

So how about you?

I'm a college student, I live in Maryland in the U.S.  I read Tolkien for the when I was about nine around though I didn't see the films until several years after they came out.  I'm a purist but I'm not one of the people who thinks every little thing should have been included (on most forums I've been to very few if any people say that) or who hate the films - I love them, I just think they have some significant flaws.

Along with Tolkien my childhood classics were Harry Potter and Star Wars.  More recently I've gotten into other fantasy works in different genres, including A Song of Ice and Fire and Avatar: The Last Airbender.  I also watch anime, some of which (most notably Fullmetal Alchemist) can be classified as fantasy. Big Smile Smilie

It's nice to meet all of you, and I'd like to give a big thank you to everyone I've talked to in different threads and through the chat - you've all been very friendly and welcoming. Smile Smilie

Hi, again, Kafria and Eldoiran.

I live in eastern Canada (where we have wayyyyyyy too much snow, atm!!!) and work in a public library.

I love Tolkien and have a sizable collection of books by the professor and Tolkien books by various authors. Besides the works by Tolkien, I love the Tolkien inspired art books the most.

I love the movies for what they are and I love the books for what they are.  Afterall, it is all about perspective. As we have seen in forum discussions; we often have a different opinion on how Tolkien's characters related to Middle Earth and the plot of the epic tale. It only stands to reason that the screen writers and director would create a visual version of the books as they interpret them.

I would like to welcome our new friends from THM and I know that we will be old friends in no time. Smile Smilie

A very deep and heartfelt welcome. Eldorian and Tinuviel made me feel much less overwhelmed and I thank you Kafria for this thread.

I am of Celtic Jewish extraction and our home, even before I knew the beloved professor Tolkien looked like Rivendell so that was rather strange and shocking to me to see part of our life as it were on the big screen.

I am one of those purists who believes if you are going to call something the same as the author you had better keep things pure and the way it is written , or call it something else and then the sky is the limit.

I did love the movies overall, there were a lot of things I would have loved to see different, but each creative person's mind is unique and one must appreciate what we have in some respects.I do like very much Jack's body of work(C.S.Lewis) I am and always will be a child at heart and so much appreciate what Tolkien and Lewis did to contribute to that ageless , timeless gift of great imagination.

I recommend to our new members getting to know any on the council, they are the coolest and intelligent and I have learned so very much from them.

I am looking forward to getting to know you all, as many as possible at least much better. It is an honor to have you come to us.

I live in the State of Georgia in the southeastern U.S. I am  a college student for tax and insurance purposes. I have been a member of Planet-Tolkien since I was in the seventh grade. I have used the pronoun "I" to begin every sentence in this short paragraph.

I think that the movies were well-done, but they lacked the "feel" of the books in several ways. I am usually annoyed whenever a movie is made based on a book that I like. I am usually curious to see how it looks on screen, but I usually just see it as an attempt by other people to make money off of the author's originality.

It has been several years since I have read The Lord of the Rings. The first time was in the sixth grade, and I read it at least two more times before high school. Actually, maybe I only read it twice; my memory isn't the best. I am also a Star Wars fan, and one who happens to think that the "Expanded Universe" is getting out of hand.

I enjoy playing guitar and drums (rest assured I have very little talent), cooking, and going well out of my way to play jokes on other people. In case it has not been made apparently obvious, I can be extremely opinionated. In all likelihood, I will drift in and out of Planet-Tolkien with periods of absence and activity that may last for several months. People, including my mother and my girlfriend, have stated that is very difficult to tell when I am and am not joking; I thought that it would be a good idea to mention this.

Welcome guys, I'm Rho (short for Rhodry,  the main character of my favorite fantasy series) I live in New Zealand and am a dairy farmer, though myself and my wife Siran (Saille) are working towards starting up a pet shop here in Kerikeri where we live one day soon we hope.

i first read Tolkien when I was 13 and that started a life long passion for all things fantasy, but alas i must admit that I'm not a particularly big fan of his, I struggle to enjoy his style, but i think that's says more about me than him, after all I think only the bible has sold more copies than the LOTRs, and I myself struggle to write a shopping list. I think the story and plot are superb however and enjoy the movies immensely, and have no problems with the changes PJ made, but then after all I'm a tad biased Smile Smilie

Why do I belong to a Tolkien fan forum then you ask?, well I stumbled Upon this site almost 10 years ago and the intelligence, depth and politeness of the people here struck a cord with me and I decided to stay, I don't contribute much to the Tolkien discussion but am a constant lurker.

TTFN

Hallow everyone!

My first experience on Tolkien was a comic adaptation for kids in a magazine. Then I read the Hobbit and it just grabbed me. I learned English on my own to be able to read Unfinished Tales.

I live in Bulgaria and in RL I am a financial auditor. I love nature, long walks outside civilized parts into more beautiful and much purer places.

I've joined this site some two years ago and it was my first community sharing of Tolkien Passion, and I am very happy and satisfied with my participation around here. I feel still newbie in Tolkine's world, but sharing opinions and reading others ideas is by my opinion the right way towards the true.

My opinion on the movies I have expressed many times and I will not put it here, since not many good things I can share about.

I wish to wish you more and more health, joy and love!

Hello and welcomeSmile Smilie

I'm from an Eastern state in India and I read my first Tolkien after the movies released.Before that I had no clue he existed.I began with the trilogy then went on to read most of his other works.My favorite is The Hobbit.

Apart from Tolkien I was struck by the Harry Potter boom and remain an avid fan but I'm not much into the movies.Since I saw the Trilogy on screen before I read them,I really don't have any problems with the movies.

I joined PT around May(?) last year and I really like it here,although I'm not able to give proper Tolkieny back-up to discussions all the time partly because I don't own any of the books(except LotR)and references are hard to fall back on and partly because I have a very busy academic life(lots of exams) but I do enjoy reading the wisdom and charisma of our members and now yours as you are now one of us or we are one of you..whateverSmile Smilie

Anyways well met.."Let us rebuild this world that we may share together in times of peace(?)"

I think I messed that Aragorn-dialogue up.

Greetings to all of you, and welcome.

I'm Oerath, and I live in Southern Finland. I've many kind of interests and beliefs, but well, about my interests first. Writing, reading and music have always scored the best out of me, and back then when I was a kid, about 6 or 7 years old (Now I'm 20), I found a great book, which appeared to be LOTR, and well, it was a very rainy day, and I had nothing else to do, so I decided to try and grip it from it's shelf, which proved to be a difficult task to complete. I finally got the book, but I fell on my back and that book also fell with me and opened on the floor from the map sections, and I spent many hours looking at all of those maps, but I didn't understand anything of it. I did also read some of the text, but back then it was pretty tough to understand all of those words and sentences. And so my interest grew and grew, and as years passed, I read more of Tolkien's books, and eventually became a great fan of him. And to this day, I've read and re-read most of his books, and I still love them very much. He was a great writer, and has been like a idol for me in writing for the past 7 years, since I was at age of 13, when I began to find some peace through writing lyrics etc.

That's a bit about it. So, as I already said. I'm a writer and a musician, I play drums and sing, and as I get to it, I'll start to play keyboards and piano too.

When it comes to beliefs, It's a very tough question, but well, basicly I'm a pagan, and I'm also interested in myths, legends and common folklore, and things like occultism, mysticism and magic interests me a lot too.

Also something about this wonderful site: I found PT many years ago, but bit over 7-8 months, I returned here, and finally found something I've been looking for a very long time. A hall full of good folk. And so I began to share some of my writings/works, and as people seemed to like of them, I began to share even more, and now I write as regularly as I can, or depending on my inspiration and moods, and share a lot with the people of this site. And despite the fact that I've known many of you here in PT for only the time being, you're all very nice persons to talk with, and if anyone wants to pass by and have a chat, I'll gladly accept the chance.

- Oerath Windsoul.

Thank you all for your responses to this, it helps to get a feel for who is here and what you are like.A nice diverse group of people is always good for discussions. Hopefully over time we will see a few more of the old Hobbit Movie Forumers here too! I have to say those who have spotted me lurking have been very friendly and it has been nice to have a quick chat with you. I will start posting a bit more as I find my feet. As I mentioned I had not really analyzed the films or in truth really thought about my interpretation of the books till I started posting, so this is a whole new adventure in Tolkien for me.

No doubt I'll post along with some of you soon!

I started reading Tolkien just before the movies came out. I read The Hobbit for a book report in 5th grade, then the movies came out shortly after. I didn't actually read all of LotR (had trouble with weird circumstances, like The Two Towers disappeared while i was reading it...) until last summer when I sat down with one of those 'all in one books'. I have also read bits of Unfinished Tales and such.

Because I saw the movies before I read the books I thoroughly enjoy them, and I understand from certain standpoints why changes in the movie were made and for the most part agree with Jackson.

Currently I am a college student in Oklahoma, US, but I am from Texas. I joined PT almost 5 years ago (already!), and just enjoyed the overall feel of the site, so I just come and go sometimes (mostly in the game-type threads; come visit me in the Wheel of Tolkien, it's one of my favorite threads). But even if I'm not 'around'  for a while doesn't mean I don't check up on the site.

Re-Welcome old members!

I am Loss, and I've been a member for six years.  Back when the site was green, Lord of All was a wannabe Virumor, and Virumor reeked havoc upon our Planet with Miruvor Happy Elf Smilie.  I live in England, Southern Midlands and read The Hobbit, and got hooked!  I have been away for a few months, but re-introducing myself to old and new members is quite fitting.

I just wonder where Clover has gotten to..

Loss is Boss, he's just a dear. I honestly don't remember if I have been here two or three years. So much was happening in my other life outside Middle-Earth. But I really miss Lord, if anyone could stir the pot and upset elves, dwarves and men it was him! And Vir was Mir and I was too naive to realize and it was great fun.

Our little Cloveress came of age here, she was the one that gave out awards and such and it was very exciting when we would see the awards thread up, fun to see how she viewed each of us. But she is gone to school, further schooling and is probably overwhelmed with the work load. I think she still drops in from time to time and she is sorely missed.

Awwwh shucks Leelee, you make the lovable rogue blush.  Good to be back though Happy Elf Smilie.

I remember seeing Clover about the rafters some time back or another, ready to flick her wings with some faery-like prank on Vir...  I do miss the Awards, and I would suggest someone else do it, but it just would not be the same...  Let's hope she learns quickly to free up some award times sooooon

Hi everyone, I'm 42, I'm a Capricorn from New Zealand and I like long slow walks on the beach.

I am Arath from the land of Ice and Snow and the thousand lakes. Finland that is Smile Smilie (you don't know nothing 'bout snow red Wink Smilie )

I'm a forklift driver and I like cats. I am recuperating from surgery comfortably at home Smile Smilie (everything went well Smile Smilie )

I am also a freelance all-round computer geek mainly focusing on video games and offensive security.

l like to play a little Blues guitar now and then too Wink Smilie

Completely in love with Tolkien's work to the point of tattooing elven vines on my back ^^

Hearty hello to all my new friends Smile Smilie

I am Gandalf, and Gandalf means me.  To think that I should be good-morninged by ... well, you understand.  I might be the oldest member since poor Grondy has gone on to the Havens, and have been here at PT for about 5 years.  In RL, I am a high school English teacher in central USA.

My English teacher in 9th grade (1970) introduced me to The Hobbit. He started reading the different characters with very different voices--a dramatic reading. After that I was convinced there was no modern writer who could touch Tolkien.

I read The Hobbit--that Ballantine edition with the picture that Tolkien couldn't stand--to my brothers (my first audience), and developed a voice for each character, and they loved it! We pooled our money and sent away to Ballantine to buy LOTR. At the time, it cost all of 95 cents per volume! Then I read that--right through a period when I was laid up with strep and a temp of 104. My brothers were anxious to hear LOTR, and I have been reading it to various audiences ever since.

Over the years, I have accumulated lots of books on Tolkien, and memorabilia connected with the movies, etc.  My favorites were given me by my class a few years ago: The grey hat modeled on the one in the movies, a beard, and a staff made from a tree root.  I have written a few papers on Tolkien's writing, and have been told by a Ph.D. that I am qualified to teach a course just on Tolkien.

Gandalf

I am so glad you are alright Arath and I must say it is wonderful when you are here. Your country is one I have always felt was magical and wanted to go there.

Wow Gandalf, but really I am not surprised, you certainly are wise in the things of Tolkien. And with Grondy dear gone across the water I am indeed grateful you are here to lead and comfort us.

If you ever decide to visit Finland time your arrival just before the first snow falls, then you will see the real beauty of this land Smile Smilie The forests look like they are on fire and small ponds and lakes glimmer everywhere Smile Smilie In winter and summer they remain hidden Smile Smilie

Few more weeks and I'll be up and about again ^^

Okay... I've never posted anything yet and I'm not really sure how this works. I also figured that this would be a good thread to start with. 

I am a proud Canadian from the West. Much snow and ice and cold. Smile Smilie 

Truth be told, I'm not like those of you who read the books long before the movies. The movies got me into the books. I personally think that the story is riveting. I am a little bit of a Lord of the Rings fanatic and have yet to read the other areas of Tolkien's work. 

One other thing about me it I am a competitive show jumper.  Meaning I jump horses. That was a useless bit of information but a huge part of my life. 

I would love to talk to some people on here so... reply? Talk to you later!

I live in western Canada, and I alike, Justus of Rundra, got into Tolkien after watching the movies. They caught my attention and have had me hooked ever since. I love the style of Tolkien and the imagination and creativity of all his works more than anything. I have read, and are reading many of his other works which have captivated me. I love to write stories and poetry as well as try to capture my thoughts in drawing. (which never works too well in my opinion.)

I am very new to Planet Tolkien but try to come and read as much as I can. I admire the works of poetry and such of other members and the depth that you reach in Tolkiens works.  I love hearing about the devotion and heart that other members besides myself have in these amazing works of art. This site shows true honour and respect for Tolkien and I admire it for that. I hope to get to know some of you and share your passion, not just for Tolkiens works but the body of works that have been inspired through him.

Fahvier,

Welcome, Justus.  Welcome, Fahvier.  May you both make many friends and learn to love more and more the works of Tolkien here on PT. 

Gandalf

I will echo everything Gandalf has said. Welcome to PT!

Welcome to our humble home, Fahvier!

I, too, live in Canada but on the eastern coast.

I look forward to reading your poems. I assume that you have found the writer's guild and will soon meet Leelee, the moderator of that section.

Have fun and enjoy exploring the website. Smile Smilie

Thank you all for your hearty welcome! I have seen a little of the works of poetry on the site, but am excited to read more of them. I will be sure to post some of my poetry there!

Leelee and Loss! It  is so strange to come back to a PT that has changed so much and then to find those few familiar names calling out my name still. 

Ah, I am afraid the old Awards thread has fallen into disuse, and I am powerless to revive it, being so far removed from the day to day happenings on the Planet. 

I suppose I ought to reintroduce myself on this thread. I am Cloveress, or Clover, as my darling friends here call me (and yes, that was what Grondy called me sometimes too). I am now a senior in college and indeed it has been a busy ride for the past three years. The workloads are insane, but senior year might be a bit better as I have gotten most of the annoying work-intensive courses out of the way. 

I am known on this Planet as a faery. A mischievous sprite. A pixie who leaves a magical glittering dust trail behind her, and who has a very real way of annoying Virumor (whatever happened to him? I don't think I see much of his posts recently. I hope he's happy, wherever he is). 

I have missed you all, and spent a bit of time poking my head around the old threads where such lively intellects dueled each other in masterful interpretations of Tolkien's work. It is good to be back, but my homecoming is ridden with sadness, as I will no longer see Grondy. This is a family here, you know?

Welcome back, Cloveress. I do not recall chatting or talking to you in the past, but I'm looking forward to it. Smile Smilie

I agree that PT is like a big family, full of different people from different countries.

And just like everyone else here, I'm proud to be a part of this family!

Oh, I'm not sure do you remember me from times past, but I originally registered in 2006, then I got lost for a long time, and finally found my way back to this site like 3 years ago, or a bit less.

Anyway, I'm Oerath Windsoul. Pleased to meet ya! Smile Smilie

Kafria, what a wonderful thread, thank you.

I have grown to respect deeply and admire Kafria whom I met on our kin site, and have learned a great deal from her.

Clover, I feel as if I was in a dream to hear your beautiful voice once more, if only for a tiny moment in time.

I went through a very very hard two years following John's death. I felt so lost and broken hearted, it was a dark time for me. But in my heart I knew that I must go on to honor him and do all he would have wanted each of us to do now that he has taken a ship to the West. I was shocked to become a council member but with the help of the others I try to do my best here in this glorious place.

The very best darling Clover and i love to go into the old threads and laugh at your antics , your cheek and sass. You could always stand up to the best of them. hugs, hugs, hugs.

I am Mellon form Norway .I joined PT about 9 years ago and still love it Smile Smilie

For those of you I do not know, I am Laurelindhe Ilmarin and I have been a member of PT since before the "big change" years and years ago, when every post was dated January 1 1970 and our great Grondmaster was still among us (may he rest peacefully-miss you Grondy!). I have not been active here for several years, but as a lot of you already know, the love of all things Tolkien never dies, it only sleeps awhile. In life I am a mother of four, a full-time student in European History working toward an eventual career in higher learning of some sort with a good measure of authorship mixed in somewhere. I currently reside in beautiful Portland, Oregon in the US, a tree-filled wonderland that holds a deep beauty. As a busy, busy lady, I hope to find time to reconnect with all of you PT folks that I love and intend to do a lot of digging into old threads to resurrect some oldies but goodies! Take care and may the road lead ever onward!

Laurelindhe ilmarin 

Heya .it's so nice that you've joined us once again .I also miss  Grondy ..it feels strange when he is not around .I don't spend so mch time here as I used to be I will never leave for long