Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Greetings from Hn-O-Elessar!

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Introduce yourself! > Greetings from Hn-O-Elessar!   
Well met! I'm a young woman from Denmark with a year long interest in Tolkien and especially The Lord of the Rings. I won't call myself an expert though, because noone can obviously know everything about this magnificent story. Smile Smilie I've always refered to The Lord of the Rings when asked about my relegion, and I have a very strong emotional relationship with especially the story of Aragorn and Arwen and the story of the elves. Therefore I'm of course studying the elvish language and writing as much as possible, and know all of the phrases and songs from the films, and some of the elvish poems from the books, by heart. Wink Smilie I am also the proud owner of the Evenstar pendant of Arwen, Frodo's sword Sting and of course Aragorns sword Anduril. More pieces are to come. Hopefully! Smile Smilie I very much like to believe that The Lord of the Rings and everything about it really took place, because this gives me an imaginary world to seek refuge and strength in, when things in this world gets a little rough. My name by the way means 'Child-Of-Elessar' in Sindarin. Wink Smilie

Hello and welcome.

I hope you don't mind, but chances to chat Sindarin are not that frequent, especially considering chances within the context of what I think I can comment on with 'some' confidence!

While it's certainly not 'wrong' to use Quenya Elessar, if you wanted a more fully Sindarin version Edhelharn 'Elfstone' is attested by JRRT in the King's Letter --  of course at the time this was 'Noldorin' but I see no problems with it in a Sindarin context (we have -harn from sarn here I would guess).

As for o it's pretty well attested as meaning 'from' -- thus it sort of means 'of' in this sense. Tolkien notes (in Words, Phrases and Passages) that in older Sindarin it had the form od before a vowel. Or from War of the Jewels...

'The preposition o [is] the usual word for 'from, of'... As the mutations following the preposition o show, it must prehistorically have ended in -t or -d. Possibly, therefore, it comes from *aud... [The preposition o] is normally o in all positions, though od appears occasionally before vowels, especially before [words beginning in] o-."

I don't know if there's anything else on it (didn't check all sources) but in conjunction with names, the genitive expression 'of' is attested without any article in a Tolkien-published context: Ennyn Durin Aran Moria 'Doors (of) Durin Lord (of) Moria'.

With your name we have a 'parental' relationship (or possibly so), yet still with Narn i·Chîn Hurin  we have no article for Children (of) Hurin.

So my guess would be *Hên   Edhelharn 'Child of Elfstone'

For 'Child':

'S. has hê n, pl hîn  mostly used as a prefix in patronymics or metronymics: as Hî n Hú rinririn 'The Children of Hú rin' (JRRT, War of the Jewels. Narn i·Chîn Hú rin  is due to mutation occurring in this example).

Not much of a greeting I know! but again I hope you don't mind me being annoying about your name. Also I could be wrong of course... I'm certainly no expert in Sindarin, but when it comes to names I think I'm doing alright.

Anway welcome... and apologies for my pedantry

Welcome Hin-O-Elessar.Join the threads and have funSmile Smilie

Galin: I always appreciate getting help with my elvish, even though I've been studying it for many years, I am very much aware that I'm not perfect, neither good at it! Smile Smilie

I am also aware that Elessar is Quenya, but in this context I used it more as a name than as a word. And  I know that the words may be, may not be correct, thinking of the parental part of it, but as in a lot of the other elvish words, it seems that there no complete answer to be found. Therefore I choose to use the simplest form of the phrase I could, resulting in Hïn O Elessar. Smile Smilie

I comfort myself with the thought that even though it may not be 100% correct, an elf would probably still understand what I was trying to say. Big Smile Smilie

Odette: Thank you! Smile Smilie

Well welcome however you write your name. And ............wow. I know almost zero about these awesome languages. I did try to find some time around last year, but had to get down to business with Hebrew, French and Irish Gaelic which I promptly forgot as soon as two weeks had passed without my using it.

Please feel absolutely free to teach us anything you know and I can tell you that you will absolutely love this place. I came about 2008 and thought I would stay a month or so. Then I fell in love with Grondy, Loss, ,Vir, Amarie Cloveress and so many many others and my heart refused to let me leave since then.

Thank you very much LeeLee.

I expect to stay for a long time as well. Wink Smilie

Welcome and hello!  to our small planet with a big heart.

It's nice to see one so enthusiastic about the languages.  I do like the plain forms of the languages, so you can leave the small fiddle-y parts to your own opinion and whatever you're happy with you stick with.  But it is good to see Galin put in his know-how on the subjects.  We learn and learn more with him, even though some may not keep up!

Leelee, I think that even if you told us that you were planning on staying for a month or so, we would have chained you to the Khazad-dumish Inn, you would have warmed to us eventually .

So, have a look around Hin o Elessar and if you like us, you may not be chained to the Inn after all!

You know, I used to be Elessar Lossehelin and all called me Elessar, that is, until Loss caught on, of which, and don't quote me Galin, was meaning:  elfstone within an icy pool, but one thing is for sure, Loss means snow/ice 

Glad you don't mind. The last thing I would want to do is annoy someone away from chatting Tolkien! 

Hi Loss

Thanks for the appreciation of my (and Galin's) interest in the languages. It's nice to finally get some credit for what other people just find really odd and a waste of time. :P

I've also been called Elessar a few times already, so maybe I'll end up with some completely other name as well! Haha..

Oh, and actually, I find The Khazad-dumish Inn rather nice, I can definitely think of worse places to be chained up! Big Smile Smilie

See you around. Wink Smilie

That's alright, I find it interesting reading the definitions of what words could mean and how one got there from letters and indexes.  It's all part of learning and knowing Smile Smilie

You may be right there, I changed my name after two years or so, maybe less.  As suddenly we had a rush of 'Elessar's come in and when someone was referring to me, the rest would follow and it all became very confusing, so I requested a couple start calling me Loss and it caught on.  I have a feeling it was Clover who started it.  But I think the next surge of members coming in will all be Will Baggins of Underhill and Primula Sackville of Overhill, as the up coming films will attract alot of inactive Hobbits and some new ones Smile Smilie

Haha, that's why you would be chained to the Inn, it's so nice you would never want to leave and the chains are then removed

So where in Denmark are you from?  Tell us a bit about yourself 

Yes, it's going to be interesting to see how many new member The Hobbit will bring. Big Smile Smilie

Well, I was born on Sealand (the eastern island in Denmark), close to Copenhagen. When I was 9 we moved to Fyn (the island in the middle Big Smile Smilie) where I had my only 'real' teenage years, until I moved 200 km. away from home when I was 16, to study as a zoo keeper in Silkeborg (a city in Jutland, which is the part of Denmark attached to Germany). Wink Smilie

So now I'm 19 and haven't really had time to be a teenager for the last three years, studying hard and going to work at ''my'' zoo. Smile Smilie My work is to feed the animals, clean their exhibits and sleeping boxes and stables, activate, train and enrich them and of course do feedings for the public with my headset on, telling them about the animals while feeding or training the animals. 

Generally my work is to make sure the animals are healthy and having a as natural life as possible, while telling the public about them, to make them take care of the wild animals and nature of the world. Smile Smilie 

I'm (hopefully) graduating next Thursday where I'll attend my final exam. Smile Smilie

That sounds like a great work to be involved with Smile Smilie.  You know, all I ever wanted to be was a zookeeper up until the age of 9 I think and kept that line open as I went through life, it could still come around!    It must feel quite fulfilling to care for something you love and you're making sure they are protected.  Which kinds of animals do you look after?  I'd imagine you are assigned a certain type for a while.  I'll hazard a guess and say, the aviary?

I haven't been learning for long, but I have been learning your amazing language for the past two months and no-one I know, knows anyone else, who may know anyone else who speaks danish, or is danish for me to speak to.  (My vocabulary is limited too Big Smile Smilie)  det er ikke et stor land!  Big Smile Smilie  og det er flot at se du!

Wow, you're learning Danish? That's awesome! Wink Smilie

Nej, vi er ikke så stort et land. Det er også godt at se dig! (No, we're not that big a country. It's nice to see you too!).

Hvor er du fra? - Try figuring out what that means. Wink Smilie

Yes, it's very fulfilling indeed to live my dream. I, like you, was dead certain that I was going to be a zoo keeper growing up, but my parents always told me that everybody wanted that as a child (which is almost true Big Smile Smilie), and that some of us (me apparently) had to choose some other profession.

Though, I never felt like doing anything else, so as I finished what we call ground school, I started studying as a zoo keeper. This takes about three years and eight months, and you have to have an apprenticeship in a zoo, which is VERY hard to find (due to popularity of the profession). But even though there are literally TEN TIMES as many zoo keeper students as there are apprenticeships, I managed to get one. I was the only one from my school, out of almost two hundred students, to get an apprenticeship in a zoo! And here I am. Wink Smilie  

I'm looking after all sorts of animals, but you're not totally wrong guessing that I'm looking after the birds, as we have a lot of different storks, ducks, geese and some swans. But I also care for a lot of fish and of European otters, European beavers, nutrias (my favorites Big Smile Smilie), mink, raccoons, sheep, goats, chipmunks, brown rats, raccoon dogs and of course reptiles and amphibians.

My zoo is actually kind of a Danish national zoo, specialized in animals living in, and around the Danish freshwater rivers and lakes. This might sound really boring, but I think it's a great, and very important topic to cover. A a lot of people give their attention to fx. the endangered primates and big cats in other areas of the world, forgetting about our native and invasive species.

Another benefit I get from working with smaller animals instead of large rhinos and lions is that I get to go very close to the animals and interact with them, because they're not as dangerous, and I get to do a lot more exiting as a student, than I would in a larger zoo. And of course, large animals needs more cleaning than the small ones! Wink Smilie 

Sorry, my reply got a bit long! Big Smile Smilie But once I start talking about my job, I'm hard to stop. I guess that's one of the things I've been taught to do for the last four years, so who can blame me, really? Haha.. Wink Smilie

Welcome,Hîn-O-Elessar!!!

I have enjoyed reading about you career and admire your passion for your work. Obviously, you are very good at what you do or you would not have been selected for the apprenticeship. Good luck on your exams!

I look forward to reading more about your adventures. Smile Smilie

You certainly seem to be liking your chosen profession.  And I'm sure that only good things will come to you, you got the position because you deserve it out of two hundred other people!  I would have said reptiles, but thought that the aviary would have to have more care given them than the odd lizard.  And they're probably more loud!  Most children do think of becoming one at one time or another I suppose, but that's why we need people like you, who can give the children these ideas because it is such a great job to have Smile Smilie  generations inspire other generations Big Smile Smilie

Jeg er fra England og I know more than I seem to! Wink Smilie

velkommen mellon, though we do have another mellon here.  Are you one in the same person?  Or are you a new member also?  If it is the latter, then velkommen yourself!

Rednell: Thank you! Smile Smilie

Loss: Yes, but there's almost no need for me inspiring, it seems that everyone wants to become a zoo keeper these days! :P But now I AM, I graduated! Big Smile Smilie

Well, Danish is a hard language to learn, but it seems you well on your way! Big Smile Smilie

Mellon: Tak! I lige måde! Wink Smilie 

Well done on graduating!!  We have a zoo keeper in our midst Big Smile Smilie

Wink Smilie

Haha, yearh..!! Big Smile Smilie And thanks.. Smile Smilie

Welcome, how enchanting, a zoo keeper. Funny how many of us don't even think about such things when dwelling on our futures, but what an awesome thing to aspire to. I do so love all creatures. Deeply, even my little one's snake Issie. Not that I would invite her to tea, no I could not, too nervous. But she is lovely, well for a lady snake you know.