Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: It's Good To Be King

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Introduce yourself! > It's Good To Be King   
Hi everyone. I'm new here but looking forward to discussing many things with new friends. I love everything Lord of the Rings and Hobbit. Favorite character in LOTR is Frodo. Favorite character in The Hobbit is Bilbo. But when I saw Lee Pace as Thranduil in the movie version, well, I haven't been the same since. Even though it was a comparatively small role, I feel the actor really owned the character and delivered a performance that was very layered. Now I wish I knew more about Thranduil and wish more had been written. Great to be here!

Welcome man! Great to see ya coming on our website! Yes, bilbo is cool!

Has anyone read any good Thanduil fanfiction that wasn't awful?  I tried the main website but most of it is Mary Sue crap.  I'm looking for intelligent and well-written stuff.

@Iluvthranduil Could you please explain what you mean by "Mary Sue Crap?"

I was disappointed when I found out that there isn't a huge deal to learn about Thranduil. He was a Sindar, which is pretty standard in Percy Jacksons Middle Earth (apart from Galadriel). But my advice is to read the Silmarillion anyway. It is a truly epic book and you may not learn anything about Thranduil, you will learn so much about elven lore. Everything will make more sense after that book 

Cheers, 

Gror Falkbeard

The "Mary Sue" crap I refer to is standard "put yourself in the story" technique that many young fan fiction writers use so that they can live out their fantasy of meeting the character/having adventures with the character/having the character fall in love with them, etc.  So it's like, once upon a time there was a young beautiful human girl who got hit on the head and woke up Middle Earth in the middle of Mirkwood Forest.  Of course the elves capture her and take her to the king.  He immediately falls in love with her because she is the best thing he has seen in 3,000 years.  You get the picture.

I hate that kind of fan fiction.  I much prefer using one's imagination and "filling the in the blanks" of a character's storyline either from the books or movies.  Thranduil has lived a long, long time and has had many joys and sorrows.  I would enjoy reading about them.  Or there are many things left unsaid/undone in the Hobbit movies - come up with some scenes that we can imagine should be there.  Or how does the future unfold after Battle of Five Armies.  What are Thranduil's thoughts and feelings and how does that experience influence the decisions he makes going forward...especially his relationships with Tauriel and Legolas when he returns.

As for the Simarillion, I think I need an Idiot's Guide to it.  I tried to read it and got bogged down with all the names.  I know it's awesome and my sister-in-law keeps telling me to read it, so maybe I'll have her guide me through it.  Thanks for answering!

I'm sad to hear you so openly spew "hate" on an artistic endeavor that is so openly enjoyed and participated in by so many people. Frankly there can be an argument that its takes more creative power to actually write "Mary Sue" stories because they require taking something completely foreign into a placing it into a fairly ridged world and still make it both believable and acceptable within the Tolkien world.

I actually find your whole post insensitive and bordering trollish,. And quite honestly boorish.

I, in fact, write for a living and I adore reading "Mary Sue" types of stories because they allow people who love Tolkien to immerse part of themselves into the Tolkien world. It all harkens back to our younger days when we were allowed to "pretend play".

As far as the quality of writing of these type of stories, it completely depends on the talent of the person writing them. A good writer can make any type of story compelling and/or interesting.

I agree that it can be very enjoyable to read stories that perhaps cover areas in the Tolkien world that have not been covered in official works. It can really excite our imagination as well. But as ALL of it is fantasy your  fallacious comparison of the two types of stories is likened to, "My pink unicorn is better than your purple leprechaun".

~N

Gror, had to point this out...."I was disappointed when I found out that there isn't a huge deal to learn about Thranduil. He was a Sindar, which is pretty standard in Percy Jacksons Middle Earth (apart from Galadriel)."

Percy Jackson's Middle Earth?!?! I know it was a typo but I almost feel offended! Just kidding. But really? Lol

Ahh yes, Thranduil, one of the great elves. As stated there isn't particularly a lot about him outside of his role in The Hobbit, even outside of the three main books. Maybe if Galin reads this he'll know some obscure passages that offers a deeper insight. Thranduil's more alluded to within great events instead of getting actual descriptions of him in those events. As for fan-fiction I don't read much because of what you said, most of it's kinda cheesy and doesn't really add much to the actual story line. I'm not saying the writing is bad, but the plots tend to run a little thin.

I admit I loved PJ's antler crown for Thranduil, I thought that was a nice touch. And his mount too. A lot of people thought it was cheesy, I thought it was epic!

With the Sil...it's like that for everyone trust me. The first read is the hardest. I ended up putting sticky notes at "strategic" points in the glossary, like A-D, E-H etc so whenever I forgot a name or place (since everything has at least 3 names), I just quickly flipped back and looked it up. It took me longer to read, but it was soooo worth it. If you love Tolkien, it's a must read. I know this seems obvious, but try to focus on the story more than the names. If you mix people up oh well, it'll probably be clarified later on. I pronounced pretty much 97% of things wrong until I listened to the audiobook.

Sidenote: If a word starts with a C, it's pronounced like a K. Instead of "Kel-eborn" I said "Sel-aborn" for years because of my native English language habits. It's also how you enunciate syllables. So instead of "Fin-golfin," it's "Fin-Gol-Fin." I always thought the former sounded kind of silly, but when pronounced properly I thought it much more appealing.

Sorry there isn't more on Thranduil, but you have to remember, that's what makes it great. Galadriel and Ungoliant are my two favorite Tolkien creatures, and there's almost nothing known about either. So while we know all about Frodo and Elrond, we know hardly anything of other characters because the world is so big. That's the beauty behind it!

I'm fine with people having other points of view re: fan fiction.  I have read a ton of it in other fan genres and am sometimes amazed and in awe of how well some is written.  Sometimes it is even better than what the screenwriters come up with.  Room for everyone and their tastes.

I've actually found several Thranduil stories on FanFiction.net that were very enjoyable and seemed realistic.  I think it's just wading through all the others that is tedious.

I just went back and read the parts of The Hobbit that dealt with The Elvenking at the Battle of Five Armies and hope that when the extended version comes out we get to see Thranduil place Orcrist on Thorin's tomb and also accept the gift of the necklace of white gems from Bilbo.  Those would be really nice touches from the book that would give some closure to the character that wasn't seen in the theatrical version.

Gonna check out The Simarillion on amazon.

Sorry don't get me wrong, I'm not hating on fan fiction. There's some good stuff out there. But like you said, you have to wade through a lot of the...other stuff, and I just don't have that kind of time anymore! If you come across those other ones you read feel free to post the link here, I wouldn't mind taking a look!

Those are great ideas for extended scenes too!

Oh dear... I offend myself!!

Peter*

Though I am sure Percy is a good bloke 

Thanks Balrogs

Slightly off-topic... but I'd like to throw in a "help" for reading the Silmarillion. Try listening to the "Silmarillion Seminar" podcasts at the same time as you read along with the book: 

http://tolkienprofessor.com/wp/lectures/courses/silmarillion-seminar/