Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Actors

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Hobbit (Movie) > Actors   [1] [2] >>
Okay, as we don't know who the actors are yet;

Who do you think should play each character??? To keep myself and others happy, Sir Ian should play as Gandalf again. As well as Bilbo played by Ian holm and Elrond as Good Ole Agent Smith just to keep the fantasy ongoing as the same. I was thinking of someone less really famous to play as the other characters, as Viggo, who wasn't a very well known actor in my oppinion, but played the role of Aragorn well, considering it was a difficult role in the first place Orc Smiling Smilie

It would be a little thing, but, if they could slyly add some of the LOTR actors in the backgrounds, like Arwen walking about Rivendell, then that would get the viewers more interested.

I think that Rowan Atkinson would do great as Bombur, just for the laughs everytime you look at him in a big beard and with a Scottish accent (as that is usually the case with PJ's Dwarves)
Quote:
I was thinking of someone less really famous to play as the other characters, as Viggo, who wasn't a very well known actor in my oppinion, but played the role of Aragorn well, considering it was a difficult role in the first place

Just FYI : Aragorn was 10 years old during "There and back again" (2941 T.A.) hence no romance shtick with Arwen (only perhaps some babysitting, although Arwen would most likely be in the land of her mother at this point - strangely enough I had written a fanfic about this as Miruvor).

Ah yes, actors... Ian Holm as Bilbo and Sir Ian McKellen as Gandalf, obviously. The dwarves do not matter that much... just some random little people (Danny DeVito as Bombur, Roy Scheider as Dwalin, Leonardo DiCaprio as Ori, etc)... as long as it's fun.
I say they switch it up and try Ian Holms as Gandalf and Sir Ian Mckellen as Biblo ....couldn't get any worse! Big Smile Smilie

while they're at is have Elrond played by Steve Tyler, that way the resemblance would be closer from father to daughter.
Quote:
I was thinking of someone less really famous to play as the other characters, as Viggo, who wasn't a very well known actor in my oppinion, but played the role of Aragorn well, considering it was a difficult role in the first place

Just FYI : Aragorn was 10 years old during "There and back again" (2941 T.A.) hence no romance shtick with Arwen (only perhaps some babysitting, although Arwen would most likely be in the land of her mother at this point

FYI: I did not say anything about Viggo/Aragorn appearing in the movie and I also didn't mention that I hoped he would appear in it. I purely said, "Viggo wasn't a very well known actor and he played the role of Aragorn very well in LOTR, so I think it would be good to see another not very well known actor play the others" as it wouldn't seem so strange to see George Clooney or Brad Pitt as an elf. Someone who isn't a super star would probably suit the parts better
I know that this is way out there and probably not very practical, but some of the best if rather unknown films I have ever viewed had actors I have never heard of in all of my life but they were absolutely fabulous.
If all unknowns were chosen, it would be the STORY itself that would be riveting. Just because we are used to someone and love him or her doesn't mean there are not others out there who are just taylor made to play those parts.
I think that it would be very very interesting to try at any rate. Smile Smilie
can someone please tell me IS THERE REALLY GONNA BE A THE HOBBIT MOVIE because im seeing everywhere in the forums that there will be but then i see that PJ is not directing it so it occured to me that there isnt gonna be a movie........SO PLEASE TELL ME
Let's hope not.
I disagree . I DO hope so .Maybe even more will start reading Tolkiens work after seeing that movie as well .And I sincerely hope PJ does it this time around too
I hope there is a movie also, Mellon. I too hope for unknowns to play most of the parts and NO MESSING about with the story line!
Quote:
I too hope for unknowns to play most of the parts and NO MESSING about with the story line!

Knock some wood, please!
I absolutely agree Halbard, no wrecking the story line.Either find a way to do it correctly or forever let it alone. It is depressing and in my opinion totally rude and discourteous to the creator of a great work to have it messed about with and treated like a saturday morning cartoon for sugar strung out children running and screaming about the living room.
Quote:
It is depressing and in my opinion totally rude and discourteous to the creator of a great work to have it messed about with and treated like a Saturday morning cartoon for sugar strung out children running and screaming about the living room.

What do you mean Leelee? My opinion is that PJ also do this movie with the acthors he used in LOTR if they are needed in The Hobbit ...meaning Sir Ian McKellen etc.
Hold on there... I thought PJ got the boot because he was too greedy?
Quote:
Hold on there... I thought PJ got the boot because he was too greedy?

Greedy or not ,Who knows really ...Don't let the gossip get you lost..We know what we saw in the movies (my opinion )I still think he is the one fit to do so because he done such a great job with LOTR.(The extended version that is)
I agree with Mellon's above sentiments, but remember the 'Golden Rule': He who hath the gold maketh the rules. PJ can only make the film if New Line wishes him to do so.
horrifying thought that ANYONE but PJ makes The Hobbit. it just seems wrong. And I think the movie would have a different feel to it...and I don't think I would like it. =[
Diamond of Long Cleeve posted Wednesday 27th August 2008 (09:49am) Under whom should play whom?
Quote:
In regards to the 2011 post-production film of The Hobbit (which I am soooo looking forward to, by the way), I have been wondering... whom will play whom?
Obviously, there's been great rumour about who shall play Bilbo, and Andy Serkis and Ian McKellen being on-board for it, but I am deeply interested in who shall play Bard, of the men of the lake.
Now, I am an avid Hugh Jackman fan, and believe that he'd be great as Bard. However, I also believe that perhaps a lesser-known actor would be excellent. Altogether, I am undecided on the matter.
I am quite aware that what I think won't make a huge impact on the up-and-coming film, but it's a good discussion topic. What do you, my fellow Tolkien-loving friends, think? Who do you think should play the hero Bard?

Virumor posted Wednesday 27th August 2008 (10:02am)
Quote:
Steven Seagal wouldn't be that bad a choice... he's got the looks and the moves for it.

Diamond of Long Cleeve posted Wednesday 27th August 2008 (10:57am)
Quote:
Yeah, that's possible. However, I do not find him to be good-looking at all. Now, I am but 14, so my taste in looks may be slightly differing from older people's, but to me, Steven Seagal is not attractive. Being from the 'action-hero generation', I can see how he would make a good Bard, but maybe a younger, better looking choice would be nice...
Somehow I find myself thinking something like David Wenham... obviously, he can't play Bard, due to him previously playing Faramir (that would be too confusing and not very logical whatsoever), but someone young, a fresh new face, or, as I stated earlier, Hugh Jackman, would be fantastic. Right now I am leaning away from Jackman, simply because new actors need opportunities.

P.S - Sorry, this is actually about the book, and I didn't realise there was a forum about the actual movie. Put up with a beginner's mistake?

Arath posted Wednesday 27th August 2008 (04:48pm)
Quote:
Quote:
Steven Seagal wouldn't be that bad a choice... he's got the looks and the moves for it.

"I can't die in a movie! What would my fans say?!" Steven seagal.
What fans?

He is always a bad choice
Besides, I don't think Seven Segal with a bow would look normal; and I'd hate to see him putting his moves on Smaug: "Oops there goes another martial arts man." - Sing it Frank!
I think he might be actually dangerous to the people on the set whit a bow :O
I mean... His eyes aren't even open :O
I got thinking the other day that the lead actor in an old British TV spy series that I remembered from the late 1980s would make a good Bilbo Baggins. So I went to Google and did a search and found the following: The TV series was Game, Set, and Match and the episodes were aired in 1988. The story was based on Len Deighton's first Bernard Samson trilogy comprised of the books Berlin Game, Mexico Set, and London Match.

And the actor who played Mister Samson would have made a wonderful Bilbo Baggins in the new Hobbit movies, except of course it turns out he is too old and now has the name Sir Ian Holm, CBE.

Well, I had the right idea, but Peter Jackson happened to get there before me. Orc Grinning Smilie

There is a current rumor that David Tennant, of Dr. Who? fame has been picked to play the part, but it has been denied and PJ says until the script is complete they can't show it to any actors for their acceptance or rejection of any job offers. But Tennant's Dr. Who? job will undoubtedly, just happen to be ended when he is killed off by the Master in December, so says another rumor. So Who? knows......only The Shadow knows.
If they switch Hugo with some other guy, I will be *very* angry at Peter ( Exploding Head Smilie ) , and ship myself off to New Zealand in a box, just so I can yell at him.
I don't know how in the heck they're going to find an actor as good as Viggo for Aragorn... But if they do find one just like him, I'm a Dwarf!!!!! Orc Grinning Smilie
As of today the script has yet to be finished; and then it will go to the potential actors towards finding who fits the part(s) best. They haven't announced who those potential actors might be.
Why would they need Viggo?, far as I remember Strider's not in the hobbit is he?

just checked, he'd be a wee lad around then....
I just lost this next bit due to P-Ts flaky server and had to type it over from my head:

Aragorn was 10 years old when Thorin's Company left the Shire towards Mt. Erebor and was 78 when he and Gandalf renewed their hunt for Gollum, which I assume will undoubtedly be in the second Hobbit movie. I don't remember where I heard the split will occur between the two Hobbit movies, but i assume it will be when Gandalf leaves them on the eves of Mirkwood.
Was just surfing around and spotted a wee article about the Hobbit movie regarding potential leads.

Toby maguire!!????.....*shudders* yea gads nooooooo...

Daniel Radcliff??....well, got some potential, but then again I'm biased, I think he's a fantastic young man....but not old enough and doesn't look much like Ian Holm.

David Tenant!!!!.......Now we're talking. Bilbo was 50ish and David's late 30s, so closer in the age stakes, he looks a lot like Ian holm(If you close one eye and squint a bit), he's Scottish so he won't have to try very hard for an authentic English accent, he's a great actor, and he's wee. Ticks all the boxes for me.
Waddaya reckon?
Well, according to the home page of PT, Toby Maguire has agreed to play Bilbo. Whether or not it will actually happen is unknown to me, but I honestly think it is a horrible choice. I can't see anything in Maguire that looks like a hobbit, let alone Bilbo... Shocked Smilie
He will play Bilbo. (I read it has been confirmed)

That Maguire Guy is a terrible actor. He played spiderman, and was extremelly terrible. (and I hate his face, and that scene with the parade where he pretended to play the drums for no reason. *shudder*)

R.I.P. Biblo 'Spiderman' Baggins

(Coz Spidey ruined it)

Also, about casting unknown people, this was what made Orlando Bloom (Legolas) Famous.
My two cents is to agree. I can't see Toby MacGuire as Bilbo, even a YOUNG Bilbo, at all.. My hope of this being a good presentation is fading fast.
Well, we can only hope that all are assumptions about the movies will be wrong.....
It's confirmed Orc Sad Smilie

Any one heard Jedward COULD be the 2 youngest dwarves Orc Sad Smilie
has anyone else checked out theonering.net ?

just because, according to them tobey maguire is definetly not playing Bilbo this and they got this from del toro

heres the link http://www.theonering.net/torwp/
Yeh, He's denied it now.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a191673/maguire-hobbit-reports-not-accurate.html

Heres the article about Jedward (Fili and Kili)

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/xfactor/news/a190578/john--edward-to-audition-for-hobbit.html

and Return of Gollum

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a191431/del-toro-wants-serkis-for-hobbit.html
Yeah lots of contradictions, which seems fairly typical of the internet, anyone can claim anything and make it seem official.

Just thought of another possible Bilbo, James McAvoy who plays Mr Tumnus in Narnia, prolly not the best choice but I'd prefer him over Toby What'shisname?

I like the idea of David Tenent, At the start of the book Bilbo is quite self confident and a little arrogant isn't he?, He's dismissive to Gandalf after the "good morning" episode and becomes snooty and lofty when Gandalf makes him feel uncomfortable. It's not untill the Dwarves all start showing up that he becomes all flustered and we see the vulnerable side of him. I feel David could really pull those different transitions off, where Toby Whatshisname? has a fairly limited range yeah?
He would be a Good Bilbo I think. (David Tennant and Mr Tumnus both Suit him I think. But The Doctor can't regenerate into a Hobbit Mad Smilie )

As Long as its Not Spider Man.

Or John/Edward *Shudder*
Yes, I shudder with you.
The only thing I know for sure, if they don't just get on with it , every one anybody wants will be too elderly to do it!
And I just have to respong to Vir saying it doesn't matter much about the dwarves. That is terrible, of COURSE it matters a great deal. Each one's personality is so fleshed out and awesome, and if Danny D. was to entered that hallowed ground and breath that rare air, I will take up archery with a swift passion and join my fellow in that box shipped off to New Zealand. (oh alright I could not bear to hurt anyone, but I could at least stand in a high place and wail..............
I agree, Leelee. I think the "powers" are taking entirely too long to get this movie off the ground. They should have had actors lined up long ago and should be shooting, if not actually cutting the movie, by now. This is ridiculous. No wonder Ian Holme couldn't hold on for the part...

On the other hand, I do not agree that Toby Maguire would have been such a bad choice. I am surprised at you, Rho. Didn't anyone here see Seabiscuit? That movie proved Maguire can really act and not just rely on special effects. And besides, I happen to like Maguire's job as Spiderman. Don't blame him for plot problems. But if you haven't seen Seabiscuit, I highly recommend you see that movie.

As for Bilbo, I like the idea of David Tennant. I think he could certainly do the part justice. But I didn't know he is short?! He looks very tall as the Doctor! Otherwise, I hope and pray the producers get as many of the actors back from LoTR as possible--especially Ian McKellen. We need some prequel continuity.

Gandalf
To Gandalf: I have seen Seabiscuit and it is a wonderful movie and great acting by Maguire. He is a good actor (yes, even as Spiderman) but I just can't see him as.... a hobbit of any sort let alone the main one.

Of course, it is not up to us who the 'powers at be' choose to play the parts in the movie, we can only hope that they choose wisely and correctly.
well just to throw in my two cents, ive always thought that James McAvoy would be good as Bilbo but i think David Tennant is a really good actor as well.

I think Richard Armitage, who played Guy of Gisbourne in bbc's Robin Hood, would be brilliant as Bard, i think he really has the right looks (according to my imagination Tongue Smilie ) and seems to be a good actor
and maybe Brian Blessed for Beorn ? just a random idea there
i thought that the guy (can't remember his name) who played bilbo was very fitting.
and what can't a little makeup do Big Smile Smilie
Ian holme is about 80 now......
I have actually seen ian Holme in some older TV shows. He is indeed very very good, but I do think that he may be a little too old for Bilbo in the Hobbit... Tobey Maguire seems like an acceptable choice. His wide eyes remind me of Elijah Woods, which is good. Nice to have some family resemblance. Smile Smilie
I personally think that James McAvoy would make an awesome Bilbo. Smile Smilie

Rob Zombie as one of the dwarves hahahah!

"rob zombie as a dwarf"

i agree with this 100%

but i want andy serkis to appear as gollum and maybe a dwarf, hes a brilliant actor, anyone who as seen the movie deathwatch ( although I'm probly the only one :P ) will agree

lol

yup, i saw that flic, and yup its great.

What about Elijah Wood as Bilbo?  He certainly would look related to Frodo!  They might streak his hair grey, and add a few wrinkles, but otherwise I think he would be great.  And he certainly knows Middle Earth by now!

Gandalf

I would not like Elijah Wood to look all wrinkled up with grey hair...sorry.

James Mc avoy is not a bad idea

Hmm, these days it's kind of hard to compare actors, at least for me it is. There are so many good and qualified actors out there, but in my opinion Bruce Campbell takes the whole pot, his acting is so marvellous, especially in movies like: Evil Dead's, Bubba Ho-Tep, My name is Bruce and for serie acting, role of the king of thieves in Hercules: The Legendary Journeys was one of my favourites. Smile Smilie

Also as being a huge sci-fi fan, I would say that best series acting goes to Richard Dean Anderson, among many other actors from SG-1 (Stargate), he's the best out of them all + MacGyver for the win.

http://www.mckellen.com/cinema/hobbit-movie/index.htmUnknown ObjectUnknown Object

Gandalf

The Cast So Far

Bilbo Baggins - Martin Freeman
Gandalf - Sir Ian McKellen
Gollum - Andy Serkis
Galadriel - Cate Blanchett
Thorin - Richard Armitage
Kili - Aidan Turner
Fili - Rob Kazinsky
Dwalin - Graham McTavish
Oin - John Callen
Bombur - Steven Hunter