Login | Register
 
Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: The Hobbit Pushed Back to 2012?

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Hobbit (Movie) > The Hobbit Pushed Back to 2012?   
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=61314

Source:WaxWord December 2, 2009

Just this weekend, Peter Jackson revealed that the two "Hobbit" films will now start filming mid-summer 2010 instead of the previously-reported March start. We didn't think this would affect the first film's release of December 2011, but according to TheWrap's WaxWord that might just be the case:

"While it is still possible that it could come out in December 2011, it looks more likely to be 2012," an executive close to the film told the site.

The second film would be pushed back to 2013 then.
noooooooooooooo
this cant be happening. :roll: :roll:
I love how they claim that PJ revealed this and then mention that it was merely an unnamed executive who is "close to the film". :roll: Given all the false alarms over various things that we've had I'm going to wait until PJ (the part that mentioned him was the one [b:14v0vl5i]not[/b:14v0vl5i] cited in this article, incidentally) or GDT themselves, or at least someone in an official position who has a name, tell us something. I don't know if anyone else remembers but this isn't the first time we've seen this rumor. :roll:
Unfortunately, it does appear to be true. The Screening Log
(http://www.screeninglog.com/journal/200 ... t-yet.html)

quotes a translated interview with Jackson:

“We’re currently working on the second script which we hope to have completed by the end of this year or beginning of next. When the scripts are completed, we can begin with the exact calculation of the necessary budget. We hope to start filming in the middle of next year. However, we’ve received no green light from the studio yet.”

"Wir werden daraus zwei Filme machen. Das Script zum ersten Film haben wir bereits fertig gestellt. Zurzeit arbeiten wir am Zweiten, dass wir hoffen bis Ende dieses Jahres oder Anfang des nächsten vollendet zu haben. Wenn die Drehbücher vollständig vorliegen, können wir mit der genauen Berechnung des benötigten Budgets beginnen. Wir hoffen Mitte nächsten Jahres mit den Dreharbeiten starten zu können, haben aber leider bisher noch kein grünes Licht vom Studio erhalten."

The lack of a green light worries me, I must admit. As it seems to worry Jackson - in the German original, the last line is closer to:

"We hope to begin filming in the middle of next year, but unfortunately we have not yet received a green light from the studio."
Should we panic yet :shock: ?

*pats self on back* Calm Down GB. Del Toro and Jackson have a proven track record. Of Course they will get the green light. Just hurry up and finish the script already :roll: .

[b:32by3uzv]GB[/b:32by3uzv]
Filming being pushed back we knew about already, but that automatically doesn't mean the release date will be pushed back as well. I am - still - going to wait for word from PJ himself. Also, [url=http://www.kristinthompson.net/blog/?p=988:30qz0cuj]Kristin Thompson[/url:30qz0cuj] (author of [i:30qz0cuj]The Frodo Franchise[/i:30qz0cuj]) has a nice piece about why the green light stuff isn't particular cause for concern.
Also, why wouldn't they get the green light? It's the Hobbit, which is guarenteed millions because of the previous movies and the books ( and us of course :mrgreen: ) I just need them to finish so we can find out who BILBO BAGGINS IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PJ has now [url=http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2009/12/05/34499-jackson-says-hobbit-still-targeted-for-2011/:2idp9250]dispelled[/url:2idp9250] the rumors. :mrgreen:
Eldorion is right PJ has spoken. phew. <img src='/images/smileys/wink.gif' border='0' alt='Wink Smilie' />

http://www.totalfilm.com/news
What the crap...?

Pushed back yet another year, that just sucks!
What the crap?

It's not been pushed back. Read the thread.
That interview with Jackson that they just posted on the site really put my mind at ease. He said as long as they begin shooting by the middle of 2010, it'll all be fine.
The Hobbit Targeting a June Start
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=62130

Source:Production Weekly January 6, 2010

The Hobbit films will start shooting this June in New Zealand, reports Production Weekly. Production on the Guillermo del Toro-directed pics will take about 14 months.

While the production will probably not get the green light until MGM resolves its financial situation in the coming weeks, the studio and New Line/Warner Bros. have been targeting December 2011 and December 2012 releases for the two installments.

Andy Serkis, Ian McKellen, Hugo Weaving and Cate Blanchett are expected to reprise their roles from "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy in The Hobbit
I hope that MGM is able to get its act together, though with a pair of surefire hits in The Hobbit I suspect that even if it is not, Warner Bros. will step in to do whatever is needed to be done, or else some opportunistic investor will. I have no fear for the Hobbit movies.

The date is encouraging too. It's only three months later than the original date that was proposed and shouldn't force the films back a year. <img src='/images/smileys/smile.gif' border='0' alt='Smile Smilie' />
Once again we are tortured by comments saying that the movie is going to be pushed back a full year. This time from a New Line Cinema executive. All I can say is that this sounds pretty serious and I'm very upset at hearing this news. I really hope the MGM sale goes well and that this delay is avoided.
damn it

i just read the story

damn :cry:

In an article at [url=http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118014180.html?categoryId=2520&cs=1:1yyzi6sp]Variety[/url:1yyzi6sp] talking about New Line Cinema, which two years ago became a unit under Warner Bros.Pictures, studio executive Alan Horn reveals that the first of the two Hobbit films may not hit theaters until late 2012, a full year after the previously-announced December 2011 release:

Once the script for the second film is in -- Jackson and his longtime collaborators Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens are working on it with Del Toro -- New Line will work up a budget for both films and start casting. New Line exec Michael Disco, who was once Emmerich's assistant, will oversee for the studio.

Horn won't predict when the first of the two "Hobbit" films will be out, but says the most probable scenario would be a release in the fourth quarter of 2012.

"It's a big bet for us. But it's one we think will pay off given the success of 'Lord of the Rings,'" says Emmerich. "This is one of the few movies it feels like people are waiting for."

New Line's original plan was to release the first film in December 2011, followed by the second one in December 2012. One reason for the delay may be the restructuring of MGM, which shares the financing rights with New Line for the "Hobbit" films. MGM is currently accepting bids for the studio and those rights may go to another studio (Warner Bros. is said to be one of the bidders).
PJ and New Line don't seem to be communicating well: he recently said TH would be out in 2011. I remain cautiously optimistic. <img src='/images/smileys/bigsmile.gif' border='0' alt='Big Smile Smilie' />
Yeah I'm still hopeful for 2011, everything just needs to go well with this MGM sale. I really hope Iluvatar doesn't let this happen.
I agree GB. MGM, holding about half the rights to The Hobbit and helping to finance it, is going to be pretty instrumental in getting anything approved. Casting is going to have to wait until after the approval of things like the budget, I expect.
I'm pretty sure the MGM restructuring is probably to blame for holding things up still. I suspect they are holding off on official announcements until things are settled.

[b:3u72xgi2]GB[/b:3u72xgi2]
So, do any of you have any theories of what the hold-up is on casting? There was announcement casting was beginning on January 7, but there's been little news since then. I've read the rumors that Matthew Goode auditioned, that Orlando Bloom wants back in, that Hugo Weaving might be out because of Captain America, but there seems to be mostly silence from any official front.