Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: The Elves

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Hobbit (Movie) > The Elves   << [1] [2] [3] [4]
Yes Glorfindel that's true regarding the title Queen. However your missing the point or at least don't regard the power that Galadriel held both in her ring and bought with her from Valinor and from Melian, who she spent many years with in Menegroth. Her people were taught gifts of Light, knowledge and power which had disappeared from ME with the destruction of her powerful Noldor relatives over the previous Age.

Yes Thranduils people came from the same houses as most of those of Lorien, however they had become estranged from those of Lorien. They had no teachers from the Light Elves, their knowledge came from self taught Earth bases and had had no knowledge of the Powers of the West other than the Rumer of them. They chose to not get involved in the worries of the world after the troubles with Melkor in Ages past.

It's for this reason possibly that the greeting between Legolas and The Lord and Lady of Lorien was as of family long parted. And that we will see a quiet big difference between them in the films.

In The Lord of the Rings Gimli refers to Galadriel as 'Queen Galadriel', and she is again referred to as a Queen in Of The Rings Of Power And The Third Age.

Of course Tolkien wrote elsewhere that Galadriel took no title of Queen (Unfinished Tales) and in his response to the Zimmerman film treatment (in a letter), he noted that she was not a Queen.

So which is it? I look at the sources first. Queen Galadriel was published by JRRT himself, plus another reference published by Christopher Tolkien (Of The Rings Of Power) in the 1977 Silmarillion -- concerning which, consistency with texts already in print was part of the approach -- in other words, seemingly Christopher Tolkien saw no great reason to revise this statement for The Silmarillion...

... versus...

... notes never published by the author, although admittedly written later than The Lord of The Rings or Of The Rings Of Power, and at least one letter (at the moment I don't recall if there are any other statements concerning Galadriel not being a 'Queen', but maybe there are).

Arguably Tolkien could claim that Gimli, as a character in his story, was technically wrong, even though Gimli himself had been to Lorien. And JRRT could have revised Of The Rings Of Power on this point (or implied it too was incorrect), although apparently he never did, for whatever reason.

In any case this is a good example of what the posthumously published texts might inject.

Yes Glorfindel that's true regarding the title Queen. However your missing the point or at least don't regard the power that Galadriel held both in her ring and bought with her from Valinor and from Melian, who she spent many years with in Menegroth.

The Elves of Greenwood of course as far as Men were concerned were powerful and majestic, however cannot be compared to those of Galadriel's kingdom.

Yes I know that Galadriel was, if  not the most powerful elf in middle earth during the third age. If Lorien and Mirkwood elves was to go to war, Lorien would win. But my point is that the elves of Lorien are not that far of being powerful and majestic when comparing to Mirkwood elves. The difference between the 2 were not as great when comparing the difference between Mirkwood elves and men. It is like comparing the Sindar of the 1st age. The elves of Doriath were the greatest Sindar but was not so different when comparing the Noldor to the rest of the Sindar.

Also the power of the ring gave her preservation and protection. It didn't make the bearer or the people around her more powerful.

<< [1] [2] [3] [4]