Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Ian McKellen backtracks (filming date)

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Hobbit (Movie) > Ian McKellen backtracks (filming date)   
Much news was made recently over Ian McKellen's statement that The Hobbit filming would begin this summer. However, as has happened before, the state seems to have been rescinded. This further suggests that filming will be pushed back, presumably due to the ever-ongoing MGM situation.

[quote="[url=http://www.mckellen.com/cinema/index1.htm:3w3qvoth]McKellen.com[/url:3w3qvoth]":3w3qvoth]THE HOBBIT's, two films, start shooting in New Zealand, [i:3w3qvoth]at a time to be announced[/i:3w3qvoth]. Filming will take over a year. Casting in Los Angeles, New York City and London has started. The script too proceeds. The first draft is crammed with old and new friends, again on a quest in Middle Earth.[/quote:3w3qvoth]

Original emphasis.
Its all part of the Wizard's Plan to force MGM's shareholders to get-it-done and accept one of the offers on the table. PJ and DT are too close to the studio suits to interfere publicly, but McKellen isn't. By putting out the date when they want to start filming then withdrawing he is putting the pressure on MGM's board to get on with it and quit putting off the inevitable.

[b:250weqzl]GB[/b:250weqzl]
Ooh, I hadn't thought of it that way, but it could make sense. :geek: It would certainly be nice to have someone on the inside 'advocating' for the fans. :mrgreen:
Not sure this is quite right place for this or that is breaking news- but found this quote from Ian Mckellen on what yahoo laughingly calls its news service;

The 70-year-old said: "They've done a wonderful script, as far as I can tell, but what it will look like I've no idea.

"I can understand people being excited, and legitimately so. It is a real book, it was written by Tolkien, not just added on because they made a lot of money out of the first, it deserves to be made.

"It was a pity perhaps it wasn't made before Lord of the Rings in the right sequence."

Not sure exactly what he means by "as far as I can tell" with regards the script- has he seen a script or not? hard to tell.
I believe McKellen said he had read the script last summer, but his track record for accuracy is not terribly good.
Yes, but his track record for keeping the pressure on to get on with the films already is awesome 8-) .

[b:o9wew3ub]GB[/b:o9wew3ub]
I suppose that would be the same thing. :P
yay Ian Mckellen!
[quote="pettytyrant101":1v7lgq6k]The 70-year-old said: "They've done a wonderful script, as far as I can tell, but what it will look like I've no idea.[/quote:1v7lgq6k]

Maybe he doesn't kow how the movie will look - the purely 'visual' side of things. The story (from the script) he presumably knows about.
That's sort of how I took it.

[b:2xddgpre]GB[/b:2xddgpre]
Not so sure, the line "as far as I can tell" seems to be referring to the script whilst the latter part of the statement refers to the visual look. Perhaps he has seen an early draft but not the finished 'shooting' script.
Maybe... :? Mysterious...
That sounds logical Petty. :geek:

[b:frcgvpur]GB[/b:frcgvpur]
[quote="Gandalfs Beard":1xqgssjm]That sounds logical Petty. :geek: [/quote:1xqgssjm]

Agreed, particularly since they have yet to get final studio approval, and since the screenwriters have an established precedent of changing things well into production, especially after getting ideas from the actors (who mostly haven't been cast yet).