Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Nogrod and Belegost

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Places > Nogrod and Belegost   
Do any of the HOME books speak on this subject?
I have no idea but I think that they were like Khaz‚d-Dum but only fillt with more weapons.....but not close to the glory of Khaz‚d-Dum!Wink Smilie
Better ask Val if he might know....
I think that Mengroth was supposed to e the most beautiful place that the dwarves ever built in all ages ...The halls are supposed to be gigantic and covered with jewels and diamods. No home books really talk about it but I can tink of what it looked like if we compare it to Kazad-Dum....But the dwarves were kind of both responsable for both glory and disappearance of tis eauty right??
I donīt think that Menegroth was the most beautiful place they ever built....I think it was Khaz‚d-Dum.....why would an elven king rule over their best work? thatīs why I think that Khaz‚d-Dum is the most beautiful place they ever made!
Quote:
Better ask Val if he might know....
Sorry, I've never read descriptions of them, except in comparison with Khazad-dum. These always describe Khazad-dum as being the most magnificent Dwarven mansion.
Quote:
I think that Mengroth was supposed to e the most beautiful place that the dwarves ever built in all ages ...The halls are supposed to be gigantic and covered with jewels and diamods.
Quote:
I donīt think that Menegroth was the most beautiful place they ever built....I think it was Khaz‚d-Dum.....why would an elven king rule over their best work? thatīs why I think that Khaz‚d-Dum is the most beautiful place they ever made!
I agree with Florian on this one, mainly because Tolkien did describe as being so. Beauty, however is often in the eye of the beholder. A dwarf would possibly find Kazad-dum more majestic the Menegroth, while an elf would prefer the latter. What you have to remember, Aule, is that while the Dwarves built Khazad-dum alone, Menegroth also had elven input too. The Dwarves helped with the stonework, but it was made to an elven design.

From The Silmarillion (page109-110)
Quote:
Therefore the Naugrim laboured long and gladly for Thingol, and devised for him mansions after the fashion of their own people, delved into the earth. Where the Esgalduin flowed down, and parted Neldoreth from Region, there rose in the midst of the forest a rocky hill,and the river ran at its feet. There they made the gates of the hall of Thingol, and they built a bridge of stone over the river, by which alone the gates could be entered. Beyond the gates wide passages ran down to high halls and chambers far below that were hewn in in the living stone, so many and so great that that dwelling was named Mengroth, the Thousand Caves.

But the Elves also had a part in that labour, and Elves and Dwarves together, each with their own skill, there wrough the visions of Melian, images of wonder and beauty of Valinor beyond the sea. The Pillars of Menegroth were hewn in the likeness of the beeches of Orome, stock,bough, and leaf, and they were lit with lanterns of gold. The nightingales sang there as in the gardens of Lorien; and there were fountains of silver, and basins of marble, and floors of many coloured stones. Carven figures of beasts and birds there ran up the walls, or climbed upon the pillars, or peered among the branches entwined with many flowers, And as the years passed Melian and her maidens filled the halls with woven hangings wherein could be read the deeds of the Valar, and many things that had befallen in Arda since its beginning, and shadows of things that wer yet to be. That was the fairest dwelling of any king that has ever been east of the Sea.
Unfortunately I cannot give similar descriptions for Nogrod or Belegost.
Ayy Val...I do see that it was the fairest kingdom west of the sea.....in elven taste! But we Khaz‚d like more the images of AulŽ then OromŽTongue Smilie hehehehe

no but seriously.....there is great difference....since elves helped in the building of Menegroth they didnīt see it as teh greatest of their tasks.....but Khaz‚d-Dum they did all by them selves as you said Val......and if youīve ever created something without outstanders meddling then you feel more proud over the thing you have wrought then the thing you and others have done who are not of your kin!

Do you guys understand?