Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Ford of Rivendell

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Places > Ford of Rivendell   
Are the Ford of Rivendell and the Ford of Bruinen different names for the same place or are they actually separated by about ten or twenty miles Question Smilie My Trivia question for today was going to be "What river did the Ford of Rivendell cross?", but that got me thinking, why would they call the Ford of Bruinen located half a days journey from Rivendell, the Ford of Rivendell. Looking at the maps in the late Karen Wynn Fonstad's revised edition of The Atlas of Middle Earth, I see there is a bridge across the Bruinen at Rivendell, which was used by Thorin and company. So there probably wasn't a ford located there. But that still begs the question, why the name confusion?
It is not very known, but Gandalf destroyed the Bridge after the Dwarves crossed it, whilst exclaiming "Thou shalt not pass!".

Me thinks he was practising for for a later event...

As far as i know, when looking at JRRT's map of Middle-Earth, and regardless of what Ms Fonstad has put in her maps, the last bridge on the way to Rivendell, aptly named "the Last Bridge", was the one over the river Mitheithel, where Glorfindel left his jewel for Strider to find.

There is only mention of a Ford of Bruinen, and not a bridge. A bridge over Bruinen would make it rather easy for enemies to enter Rivendell, as it would make them able to avoid the Ford of Bruinen, which is protected by the power of Elrond. It would be a serious breach into the security of Rivendell, hence i am quite certain it does not exist.

So, the Ford of Rivendell must be the Ford of Bruinen.
Quote:
So, the Ford of Rivendell must be the Ford of Bruinen.

This is the case. They are both the same.

The Last Bridge, by the way, was a three-arched bridge where the Great East Road crossed the River Mitheithel. Although this was the Eastern most bridge on this road, it is not the same as the Ford of Bruinen.
There was a bridge at Rivendel, though it was narrow enough to be defended by a couple of warriors if need be.
Quote:
There was only a narrow bridge of stone without parapet, as a pony could well walk on; and over that they had to go, slow and careful, one by one, each leading his pony by his bridle. The elves had brought bright lanterns to the shore, and they sang a merry song as the party went across. - from 'A Short Rest' in The Hobbit
I doubt if they threw down this bridge even in time of war. And they wouldn't have wanted their Mithrander to hurt himself, so they wouldn't have allowed him to break the bridge with his staff, for there wasn't any Balrog to break his fall at that location, no matter what Miruvor said with tongue-in-cheek. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie

I will now agree, however the the Ford of Rivendell was just another name for the Ford of Bruinen.
I see what you mean, Grondy.

Either Bilbo and the Dwarves found a different route into Rivendell than Glorfindel and Frodo, or it is an error on JRR's part. When he wrote the Hobbit he perhaps did not envisage drowning the Black Riders horses in the ford.
WHAT WHY WHEN AND HOW DID YOU LOSE YOUR AVATAR VAL??!??!? (sorry to deviate from the subject)
Good question, Gwaihir. It was there when I left here last night, but gone this morning. I spent an hour this morning trying to get it back up, but to no avail. Maybe I'm beginning to decay Wary Smilie

Anyone else had one go missing in the past few days?
Quote:
Either Bilbo and the Dwarves found a different route into Rivendell than Glorfindel and Frodo, or it is an error on JRR's part. When he wrote the Hobbit he perhaps did not envisage drowning the Black Riders horses in the ford

Didn't JRRT revise his first version of the Hobbit to destroy any discrepancies with LOTR ? Either Grondy's version is the pre-revision version ór JRRT indeed made a mistake... i doubt it, though.
not me Wink Smilie Wink Smilie
All my The Hobbit editions are the revised ones published after 1967 and contain the same wording about this small bridge. I don't have a pre-publication of LotR edition of The Hobbit, but I think it probable that the two parties arrived at Rivendell by two different routes, unless an earthquake occurred in the intervening years, else J.R.R.T. felt this error was so insignificant as to be a no never mind. Shaking Head Smilie