Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Fangorn Forest

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Places > Fangorn Forest   
I'm quite interested in Fangorn forest and I'm looking to dig up all the info I can about it. Would you guys care to help me out?
I suggest consulting the chapter Treebeard in TTT. Most information about Fangorn forest is given by the old dendrophile.
In addition to the chapters in The Two Towers where Fangorn (aka Treebeard) himself talks, try comparing everything you glean from TTT with the description of the Old Forest/Bombadil's domain near the Shire in the first book. The two forests were (if I remember correctly) originally connected by leagues of trees and might even be said to be remnants of the same huge forest.
Will do. Anything anybody else can tell me about this? Things from the Silmarillion or Tolkiens notes or something else? Also include caracters pertaining to the forest and ties they have with it. Certain elves, Legolas, Treebeard, Quickbeam (my favorite), or others. TY in advance.
Also check the index of Unfinished Tales under both 'Fangorn' and 'Entwood': among other things there, it tells of a meeting between Treebeard and the King of the Galadhrim in ancient days.

We are just pointing you in the right direction, to enable your learning more by doing your own research for your paper. Teacher Smilie (Of course if you aren't doing this as schoolwork, but only out of curiosity, I offer my apology for my suspicion in advance.)
No, not for any school things. I've just always loved Fangorn Forest and I am just eager to learn about it. I have the book of lost tales, but not unfinished tales (arn't they the same thing). I'm in the middle of lost tales 1 and it's sort of boring. I like The Silmarillion much better, but I am going to power through this anyways.
Quote:
. I have the book of lost tales, but not unfinished tales (arn't they the same thing).

one questoin. do they sound like the same thing??

in case you still havent figured it out, no, unfinished tales is way better and way different.
Sorry if we have sounded rude Lembas, it wasn't really meant as such.

The Unfinished Tales is almost 500 pages of many more details from the existing stories as well as a few new tales. I found it fleshes out many of the stories in The Silmarillion and is much easier to read. While the books of The Lost Tales are also known as Books 1 and 2 of the twelve books of History of Middle-earth, the (H.O.M.E.) series. I also found The Lost Talesto be harder to read and understand as they didn't seem to fit into my sense of Tolkien's world.
There is a particularly nice section in Unfinished Tales about that old forest, prior to the Numenorians chopping it down (well, actually set at the time of the felling). It always reminded me of pictures you see of what is currently happening in the Amazon. I cannot remember the name of the section just off hand, but it concerns the port of Lond Daer.
Quote:
There is a particularly nice section in Unfinished Tales about that old forest, prior to the Numenorians chopping it down (well, actually set at the time of the felling). .... I cannot remember the name of the section just off hand, but it concerns the port of Lond Daer.

Yes, that section called the 'Port of Lond Daer' is found in Appendix D of Part II of UT, at the end of 'IV The History of Galadriel and Celeborn and of Amroth King of Lorien' (about in the middle of the book).
Read Smilie
Okay, thanks! So far I really haven't found lost tales to be enjoyable and it's not enjoyable to read. I suppose I'll power through it and if I have the guts, I'll read part2. It seems to get better as I go on. It does flesh out some Silmarillion stories on it's own. It would be interesting to see unifnished tales and lost tales side by side. Seeing as I do not have unifinshed tales (I will buy it and read it when I get a chance), would any of you be kind enough to enlighten me on these passages from unfinished tales? I am just eager to learn about Fangorn. If you feel like it, post the chapters and page numbers (even if I don't get the same version, it can serve as an approximate) of the info. Thanks in advance. I've got to get myself to Barnes & Noble!
Seeing as I don't have Unfinished Tales, could anyone fill me in on the main points? Even just the footnotes.
Okay, here is one I found at the end of 'The Boundaries of Lórien', which is Appendix C to 'The History of Galadriel and Celeborn', which is Section IV of Part Two of the Unfinished Tales.
Quote:
... There were no visible borders between Lórien and Fangorn, but neither the Ents nor the Galadhrim ever passed them. For legend reported that Fangorn himself had met the King of the Galadhrim in ancient days, and Fangorn had said: "I know mine, and you know yours; let neither side molest what is the other's. But if an Elf should wish to walk in my land for his pleasure he will be welcome; and if an Ent should be seen in your land fear no evil." Long years had passed, however, since Ent or Elf had set foot in the other land.
Totally useless thing I'm going to say here...!

My Husband & I recently went to Scotland for a week and we had to drive past this forest every now & again.... I kept calling it Fanghorn Forest.

See - told you it was useless!
Ah, but at least it was on topic. But you didn't say whether or not you saw any Ents there to justify your conclusion. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
...well now you come to mention it....!
*stuffs Quickbeam into a corner and throws a blanket over his head* It's a lamp... a very tall lamp...
Ents you say? Did they look anything like this: Ent
..the resemblence is uncanny!

Didn't get to see the Loch Ness Monster though, which was most disapointing!
Quote:
Didn't get to see the Loch Ness Monster though, which was most disapointing!

Insert comment about looking into the mirror here : _______________________.
i wouldn't say looking into the mirror, but there is someone i know who would fit the bil... Shocked Elf Smilie
As a side note on the Lost Tales: they DO get better as they go on, IMHO, and the principal reason for reading them (at least the first few) is to get greater depth from the Silmarillion. Unfortunately, it's compiled from the body of the Professors work beginning in the teens that continued with frequent tweaks or even full scale revisions for decades thereafter. That, combined with the fact the Silmarillion was painstakingly formed into a single narrative from those some same stories, outlines or sometimes even mere notes (and reading HoME gives an idea of just what a task, and what an accomplishment, that was; some have criticized Chris for piggy backing on his fathers work, but the fact is he's the foremost scholar of Middle-earth: he had to be to publish the Silmarilion his father always wanted to write but that was too big for any one man) can often be disorienting. Even the names are slightly altered in places, as they didn't become finalized until relatively late However, if you want more of the Fall of Gondolin than a few paragraphs, LT2 is the only game in town. And you get more of Turin, and of Beren and Luthien (a RADICALLY different story with a whole different side plot in Tevildo the Lord of Cats.) You'll enjoy LT2 a LOT more, and I recommend it, though I'm afraid the following two volumes are best suited for people into cartography and poetry (I forget which is which. ) Then there's four volumes of Trilogy manuscripts (featuring Virumors beloved Hobbit Trotter) and then some some intriguing insights into the First Age (others, such as Vir, are better able to tell you about such things as Morgoths Ring, Tolkiens explanation for original sin, and the Shibboleth of Feanor related to linguistics.)

Anyway....