Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Middle-earth over flooded

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Places > Middle-earth over flooded   
The volcano on Mount Ruapehu in New Zealand ( the area were the Middle- earth took place in Lotr movies ) over flooded the crater lake Sunday afternoon .it was such sad sight to watch on the news .It felt like middle earth disappeared ...
Did anyone else see it ?
No..havent even heard about it.. Where can i see/read more about it?
I watched it on our biggest newspaper online (VG) but I suppose you could serach for the Volcanos' name also Smile Smilie
http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory?id=2961085

This is the link that a member of a local Tolkien Yahoo group posted.
So Sauron won after all?

Yey!
Nope he spilled his bathe tub.

in which part of the film is the volcano found?
Quote:
in which part of the film is the volcano found?

I don't think one can lose a volcano. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie However I think it is shown in all three of PJ's films, but mostly in LOTR: Return of the King.

I didn't see the news story, but I recently saw a documentary about African lake peoples being threatened by carbon-dioxide eruptions. One was a huge lake on the slope of an active volcano and if the magma moved into the lake it could release the entrapped gas at the lake bottom and suffacating millions. Another was a smaller lake where a landslide actually released the gas killing over a thousand people plus their animals. A real bad scene.

U sure it's carbon dioxide grondy and not carbon monoxide or something else? what luck i don't live TOO near a volcano. The nearest must be about 5 km away but they say its dead. Elk Grinning Smilie
Quote:
I didn't see the news story, but I recently saw a documentary about African lake peoples being threatened by carbon-dioxide eruptions. One was a huge lake on the slope of an active volcano and if the magma moved into the lake it could release the entrapped gas at the lake bottom and suffacating millions. Another was a smaller lake where a landslide actually released the gas killing over a thousand people plus their animals. A real bad scene.

Where were you when Mt St. Helens erupted, Grondy? Didn't that happen around your neck of the woods?
Yes, but it is about a hundred miles south and a litlle east of me so we didn't hear or get any ash nor even see the plume. My parents, two hundred miles to the northwest, had a few inches of ash dropped on them and our wheat crop the following few years were above normal. A bigger problem will occur when Mount Rainier next blows its top an its glaciers melt causing the lahars to flood down the built-up Nisqually Valley towards Tacoma and Seattle.

Oh, and those deadly gasses were carbon monoxide at one lake and carbon dioxide at another. The carbon dioxide stayed close to the ground smothering all within it. The carbon monoxide did the same, but also caused lesions on the skin of its victims.