Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Grand Erebor

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Places > Grand Erebor   
So we have had a glimpse now at a great Dwarven Hall and city. Erebor, within the Lonely Mountain. We have seen a vision of beauty and grandeur within carved caverns and mines. Thousands of delving, mining and smithing Dwarves surrounded by grandiose splendour in film 1 of the Hobbit. From its great Dwarf statues at the front gate to its look outs and bastions, I found it rather breathtaking. My favourite part was the finding of the Arkenstone. So what did you think?

I thought they did a great job with it, it was breathtaking - though I would have liked to have seen more of the places where Dwarves actually lived, like the 'city' part and beyond the mines and throne room... but then maybe they'll show more in later films, maybe not. Would have been nice to see the bustling Halls, inner markets and how they lived, more of the actual Dwarven society - beyond what we caught glimpses of in Dale during Smaug's attack.

Udoubtedly we'll see more of the treasury - but I wonder what else is in store for us?

... it was a nice contrast against what we saw of Moria in FoTR in any case.

And yeah - I think the Finding of the Arkenstone scene was the highlight for me too.

I imagined it to look like the Halls in the 1977 Hobbit....omg random though: has anyone heard of this crazy thing called Thilbo Bagginsshield????

As impressive and breathtaking as it looks in the film, it's just a film. One camera shot made the interior of Erebor look like Coruscant in Star Wars: structures with sparkling lights going endlessly down until you can't see the bottom. I doubt the real Erebor was like that.

The Moria hall mentioned here was much smaller in the book.

Dunno Widespace. The Moria Halls in the books were said to be massive and glorious. In its heyday it would have been lit by many lamps and tunnels of natural light cunningly funnelled from outside. Erebor, like all Dwarven halls, would not have been dark and close. I think PJ's vision is pretty grand, and don't forget, we have only seen it at its height of glory. The next time we see it, I'm sure It will indeed be dark, ruined and miserable.

"He raised his staff, and for a brief instant there was blaze like a flash of lightning. Great shadows sprang up and fled, and for a second they saw a vast roof far above their heads upheld by many mighty pillars hewn of stone. Before them and on either side stretched a huge empty hall; its black walls, polished and smooth as glass, flashed and glittered. Three other entrances they saw, dark black arches: one straight before them eastwards, and one on either side. Then the light went out."

Well, at least they could see the opposite walls and the passages that led out of them. And if you look at the map in the Atlas of Middle-Earth, the hall doesn't look that big.

Well herein lies the beauty of self interpretation within the world of Tolkien.

I don't think, in any way really, that that quote sets in stone a specific size for Moria. I'm like Brego, I interpret that, and other passages, to suggest Moria is beyond massive. No, it does not clearly say it's as big as the ocean, but it also doesn't say it's any smaller than my apartment's kitchen with the lights off. It's a city....inside a mountain. Mountain's are pretty big and go pretty deep. I think it's a fair assumption that dwarven cities were massive in size and went deep into the ground.

And of course the "endless bottom" we saw in AUJ also lead into pitch black darkness. So who's not to say that should a huge light flare up, they'd be able to see the bottom of it just as they saw the ceiling for the pillars? And of course you could see the walls around you. Also I did not get a Coruscant vibe at all from it. Especially from just "one camera shot." More of an "underground dwarven city" vibe if you ask me, for both Moria and Erebor.

You almost seem upset that dwarves may have lived in such grandiose halls! Or is it you just pictured it differently?

I thought they looked awesome. The veins of mithril lining the walls of the earth and endless dwarves hanging down on pulleys and mining it. Or Thor's treasure room. Want endless? Look at that sea of gold! Even the gates that lead inside looked great IMO.

I look forward to the scenery in Desolation of Smaug.

If you are talking about Erebor then I don't think it was veins of mithril. Mithril during the third age, was only found in Khaza-dum.

Either way Glorfindal, many times Tolkien states that Khazadum is the grandest Dwarven mansion. I simply love the burst of light scene, the music and the sentiment is wonderful.

No, it does not clearly say it's as big as the ocean, but it also doesn't say it's any smaller than my apartment's kitchen with the lights off.

Haha, I love it! I also got the feeling that Moria was ...infinite. Even the entymology of the word suggests it's size was overwhelming.

I'd love to see more of those Dwarven cities, I still remember those tall halls of Moria from FOTR and everytime I watch those scenes I wish we could see them in their glorious days.

When I read the books, I thought of Moria as a labyrinth like structure. A sort of spectacular gem fest. Like a sort of Ali Baba's cave but much wider and taller.

Most of us got hooked on to this idea of Moria because it is described as a city with extensive passages and caverns reaching deep and far under the mountains and into the earth. Who knows how far it could have gone?

It was a living place where large numbers of dwarves worked. The gigantic wealth amassed by the dwarves is proof enough of how enormous Moria actually is. 

And Mithril was the main reason for all the Dwarve-delving at Khazad-dum, although I believe they really liked gemstones a lot too. The Arkenstone, remained the most desired jewel for centuries. 

In the movie, The Hobbit, I don't think there would have been a better way to show Moria at it's height of glory but I wanted to see more of the details. Maybe they will show more in the later parts, when we get to the point of the Arkenstone. 

I really wish I could visit Moria and just stand there and look at all the lights sparkling on the treasure.

Moria was never shown at its "height" in the movie. Atleast not of the dwarves.
I think Odette may have meant Erebor. I too want to perhaps see some dayly life perhaps in flashback in the next film/s.

i would take it for the arkenstonefrown

the dwarf miners who found the Arkenstone,looked like coal miners who spend most of their time in the prancing ponysmiley

I imagine Amras, that The Dwarves of Erebor had many pubs or meeting places within Erebor or in Dale.

thats why the dwarves are much more clumsy then the fair elves

I don't think the dwarves were particularly clumsy.  They were some of the finest smiths of all time, working metals with intricate detail.  That requires a very high amount of control over ones limbs.  Maybe less graceful.

perfect words

I like how Balin ask Thorin what is it,a dragon a,duh