Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Actual world or Middle Earth?

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Places > Actual world or Middle Earth?   
Hi everyone! right now this question hit my mind and I´ve thought, why not create a new threat and get some answers... if you had the key to open a door and enter in Middle Earth, no return would be possible; once the choice was done. So where would you prefer to live? in our known world with old ecological problems, wars, economical crisis and other miseries... or live in Middle Earth? with war against the "eternal darkness of Sauron", bad relations between races, etc. It´s a bit complicated but at least that would serve us to try to search solutions for our real world!
Great post Elbereth.

For me it would depend on when and where in ME I would call home.

Menegroth during the 1st Age would be wonderful.

Agreed, this is a great thread.  I take into account the modern conveniences that we tend to take for granter such as electricity, plumbing, instant communication, etc.  I would still choose Middle-earth. 

The qualities that I hold of high value, were held in high esteem during that time.  Honor, commitment, integrity, and loyalty.  In this disposable society these qualities no longer hold much worth.  If our spouse displeases us, we divorce them.  If a situation gets too difficult, we quit.  We live in a disposable  generation, to say the least.   Think about Luthien and her willingness to stand by Beren, at the cost of her life.  Melian standing by Thingol, when he refused her counsel and kept the Silmiril.  Finwe and Feano'rs sons going into exile with Feanor.  Were they the wisest decisions?  I do not know.  But I respect them.

I also hold high respect for their kings.  The kings of Middle-earth led their people in battle.  They did not sit in an office thousands of miles away where there was no consequence to their own lives for bad decisions.   It confounds me how a person can be commander in chief of a military, who has never fought in a war himself.  This would be unheard of in Middle-earth.  When Fingolfin saw what he considered to be certain destruction of his people, he challenged Morgoth to duel..  Could you imagine King Theoden telling his rohirrim, "you are going to war, but I am going to sit here and wait for you, because I am too important."  If the king's of Middle-earth were willing to send their people to fight for a cause, they were willing to die for it themselves. 

At least the people of Middle-earth knew who the enemy was.  In this day and age we are left to wonder.  This is just my humble opinion. 

However, you did not answer your own question Elbereth.  I am very curious of your thoughts.

I would need to live for some time in Middle Earth, so I could compare these things. But I still think I'd chose their morals, culture, and maybe environment over ours though.

We have to remember though that not all were noble in ME. An example would be Thingol. He was one of the greatest elf and had the greatest realm but he hardly helped the people of ME. Would the outcome of ME be any different if he was to marched to war more often with the Noldor instead of just keeping to his realm ?
I don't think so Glorfindel. Perhaps if he had gone to War more often Melkor would have found out where his rhelm lay and would himself have come to Menegroth, broken Melian's protective spell and then would have destroyed the line which led to Elrond and Elros uterlly.

Middle Earth, no question about it. Since I was young I've always wished I could live in an ancient or medieval era. I also love things like dragons, balrogs, wizards, and landscapes......so where else might be a perfect fit?

And of course I'm fully aware of the threat of Morgoth, the deception of men, the secrecy of elves, and the bluntness of dwarves. Sure the whole "government" aspect isn't much different, but that'll be the case in any large population area that needs some form of control. True you gotta make your own way, but hey, at least you know elves are probably watching you!! Everybody loves spying elves, right?

Also if I had the choice I'd be a somewhat "enigmatic" maia who keeps to himself, probably staying mostly in the northern forests. Local children make up tales about me or say I'm a demon or witch, but I would be in no way evil. Just meditate in the peacefulness of ME, no roads or construction or traffic or guns or cell phones or any of that to distract you.

I would love to live in Middle-Earth. But only if all of my friends here on this wonderful website can be my friends in middle earth. I need to stay in touch with all of you. You're all very dear to me, you know! And also only if there will still be someone who looks after the ones I care about when I'm in middle earth.
As much as I would like to live in Middle-Earth, if I could not go back and forth between the worlds, I would choose to live here, where I have family and friends. I would like to visit Middle-Earth, especially during the second and third ages, but I know that I would always want to come back home.

I think there are pros and cons to both ends but personally i'd much rather live in ME. I'd feel much more comfortable living with elves, hobbits, wizards ect than inconsiderate, greedy mortals. There is such beauty in certain parts of middle earth that can only be dreamed of here. I believe i would be quite comfortable living in Lothlorien <3 

I would want to go to ME, but first I would have to gather my Tolkien collection so I can predict the future with suprising accuracy.

I see your plan now. You're trying to start a cult. LOL

Aw, that wouldn't be so fun." tomorrow shall Sauron return to his dark tower and take up the form of a massive eye. It just wouldn't be the same. 

How about this. You stand upon an army of men and elves and say, "Worship me and I will save you. I shall summon a great host to combat the wrath of morgoth." Then waving your hands with your "magic wand" (a flashlight), a great host of ships are seen coming from the west.
I am the deity, brother of Illuvatar, and I am displeased with the way you have treated this universe. I will change this world and the undying lands shall be separate forevermore , beneath the timeless halls where dwells my brother. I will now break the world, for the time is come for the dominion of men, and the world must Change, for the time has come. And so was the world broken, and we know it like this today, and also is a rather contrived explanation thought up to explain Tolkien's misleading idea that middle earth is the same world as ours, for the lives of men are short and they do not remember the time before the change.
I am the deity, brother of Illuvatar, and I am displeased with the way you have treated this universe. I will change this world and the undying lands shall be separate forevermore , beneath the timeless halls where dwells my brother. I will now break the world, for the time is come for the dominion of men, and the world must Change, for the time has come. And so was the world broken, and we know it like this today, and also is a rather contrived explanation thought up to explain Tolkien's misleading idea that middle earth is the same world as ours, for the lives of men are short and they do not remember the time before the change.
Sorry about that guys, I accidentally saved my post twice.