Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Eragon movie

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > New Releases > Eragon movie   
For the Christopher Paolini fans, there's a movie version of Eragon coming in December : Eragon movie site.

It looks like Jeremy Irons nd John Malkovich are in it, hence it can't be bad, can it?

EDIT : I've checked the cast list on imdb.com and apparently the witch/herbalist Angela is going to be played by the world famous singer Joss Stone... interesting...
I'll consider seeing this one.
Even though the story is as generic and predictable as a meal at MacDonald's, I will most probably too.
THE STORY WAS GOOD. Eldestwas even better. i was ssoooooo depressed by the end of it. i can't wait for the third book to come out... and i am definatly gonna watch it in the theatre
This movie I sure will watch ,it looks like an exciting story Smile Smilie I'm really looking forward to it Happy Elf SmilieThanks for the link VirSmile Smilie
Quote:
THE STORY WAS GOOD

There's nothing innovative, nothing that sets it apart from other fantasy stories... let's see - there's Dragons and Dragonriders ( la Raymond Feist and Anne McCaffrey); there's the young, seemingly unimportant boy who turns out to have a great destiny and who lives at a farm ( la Garion, Shea Ohmsford, etc); there's the mysterious, wise old mentor/father figure ( la Gandalf, Allanon, Belgarath, etc); there are the cloaked, terrible villains ( la Nazgl, Skullbearers, Grolims, etc); there's the pointy-eared love interest, etc etc.

I'd call it mediocre at best. Everything in the book I had already read elsewhere. The first book was OK, but I didn't like the second book at all, because the final twist in the end that was supposed to be shocking, I had already expected from the beginning of the book.
yes. but you could also say that about Harry Potter. what then sets it apart?
I read the book and i liked it.
I think i am not going to see the movie.
I've just looked at the site again and my favourite character of the book (or at least, the only character I kinda liked) - Angela the herbalist - appears to kick some serious butt. Hence I'm looking forward to it too... there's too few fantasy films, anyway, they're always welcome.
I was really dissapointed about the filmThumbs Down Smilie.Lot of it is not true to the book.The bonding with Safira and Eragon was just a "laugh" To bad ...anyway I still like the book though
Quote:
Lot of it is not true to the book.

Dear Mellon,

is that a bad thing? IIRC, the book contains nothing original/innovative; really everything is borrowed from other fantasy works, primarily LOTR.

Not to mention, is PJ's adaptation of LOTR true to the books? Wink Smilie

I for me shall wait til this movie comes out on DVD, and then I shall perhaps rent it.
I havent noticed the book earlier so im going to read the book now after iv watched the movie. Now, normally i hate doing that, cause i like to read something first and then perhaps watch the movie..but what's done is done.
Now on the remark on how was LOTR really true to the books and all..lets not get started on that again shall we?

And for the movie i must say i was totally and uterlly dissapointed... Orc Sad Smilie Thumbs Down Smilie
The plot was, as before stated, mediocre at best, the action scenes are a total blur thanks to the wierd way of filming them, the storyline seems to be all in jumbles, the facts and events are all barely cramed in a hour and a half, Jon Malkovich as the head bad guy-tyrant was a terrible choice cause he really dosent fit the part at all.. the lead actor was to me kinda..wierd, the whole dragon growing part is a mystery to me.. the bad guys in general are just sad copies of existing villians and such, the way the vampire shade guy casts his magic is a laugh. That one guy at the Vardens hideout with a bushy beard and hair, is he a dwarf?? Or just a guy with a bushy beard and hair? I couldnt figure it.. And were there elves in the movie at all? If there were, were they played by the africanamericans? Cause i didnt notice any africoamericans through the movie, they kept saying that part of the Vardens (rebels) are elves, and when they reached the Vardens, a whole lot of africoamericans were around, so i figured they are elves?
Quote:
And were there elves in the movie at all?

From what I remember of the book, only Arya (the semi-'hot' comatose lady) is an Elf, though I had the impression (from what I have seen from pictures on the movie site) that the actress who plays her does not match her description from the book; not to mention, she did not seem to have pointy ears (mind though, perhaps I had looked at the wrong actress).
Hmm..and i still wonder about the dwarf..
So you still havent seen the movie Vir?
Oh and, Arya? That name appears in George R.R. Martins Songs of Ice and Fire. Which books came out first, them or Eragon?
Quote:
Not to mention, is PJ's adaptation of LOTR true to the books?

Vir ..you and me both know that PJ didn't..anyway I would not dwell upon it and continuing reading the booksSmile Smilie
yeye..the book was way better. but unoe, i like the way they portrayed murtagh. arya looked human though, and so did the dwarves. i wanna read the thrid book. ne idea wen its comin out???
Quote:
ne idea wen its comin out???

It's not. The Security Council has just issued a new resolution on generic copycat fantasy stories without any redeeming value.
Orc Going Huh Smilie
I made a point of reading 'Eragon' before going to the film.

Well, I can say that the book was 100 times better than the movie. The acting was horrible. I am sure that there were much better choices out there for the part of Eragon, even amongst the unknown talent. You will be happy to know, while the dragon does grow rapidly in the book, it is not as instanteous as it is in the movie.

The book is not very original, but then how many fantasy books are these days. The genre has had such a resurgence in popularity in the last 20 years that one would be hard pressed to find an original idea out there. However, given that the author was only 15 years old at the time that he wrote the book, this is quite an accomplishment. The influence of Tolkien and McCaffrey is very evident. I have even noticed a bit of PJ influence in there too.

So, I give the movie a rating of 1/5. This is not a DVD that I will be adding to my collection.
I give the book a 3/5. I already purchased it.
I have just started to read 'Eldest'.
Quote:
The book is not very original, but then how many fantasy books are these days. The genre has had such a resurgence in popularity in the last 20 years that one would be hard pressed to find an original idea out there.

I know at least five fairly contemporary authors with original ideas.

Quote:
Well, I can say that the book was 100 times better than the movie. The acting was horrible. I am sure that there were much better choices out there for the part of Eragon, even amongst the unknown talent.

I guess it's like with Mr Christensen in the Star Wars prequels or Mr Bloom in Pirates of the Caribbean (or any movie he's appeared in)... mere eye candy for the female striplings.

Unlucky male striplings though, who are not stuck with Miss Portman, but with a winged diplodocus.
My octogenarian frend and I have decided to give Eragon the movie a pass too. I just started reading the book and have seen bits of Star Wars IV, LotR, Dragon Riders of Pern, and Sword of Shannara peeking out all over the place. Still it holds my interest and if he was only 15 when he wrote it; then maybe there is hope for more originality in the subsequent volumes.
Quote:
I guess it's like with Mr Christensen in the Star Wars prequels or Mr Bloom in Pirates of the Caribbean (or any movie he's appeared in)... mere eye candy for the female striplings.

that would explain why i liked the movie and not my brother. lol.
after reading ur comments its making me like eragon less and less
then again i'll styll watch it for eye candy lol
when i was reading the book for the first time.... which was over a year ago before eldest came out....i actually do remember making alot of comparisons to lotr. but i thought it was just because i compare everything to lotr (..inoe ri..)
i always pronounced "eragon" differently too. i pronouce it the same wasy dragon but with an "e". i dunt understand people pronounce it like aragon...sounds to much like aragorn dunt u think??
i watched the movie on Friday and i must say that i was bitterly dissapointed. Althought the story had something enjoyable in it, i think that the producers did a complete mess of it.

For one, it resembles LOTR too much. take a look at that shadow briefing his trrops before the attack on the mountains, it ressembles Saruman's speech to his uruks too much. And the film is much too short. After the battle, i thought they were going to march on the emperor and would see another battle but all that i saw was the generic.

And the battle was too brief and lacked details. After the battles of LOTR this makes me think of a retro movie. Come off it man the producers should retire.

my opinion. feel free to agree or disagree
Quote:
she did not seem to have pointy ears (mind though, perhaps I had looked at the wrong actress).

I checked Arya's ears as I watched the movie, and I can guarantee you that she did not have pointy ears at all, in fact they were probably the most rounded out of all the characters. Perhaps they knew that the movie was already copying LotR so much that they decided to leave that out.

(spoilers ahead)

I also missed the part of the book with Tronjeim, the mountain inside the mountain thing. Well basically the movie gets further and further off track as it progresses, until you're left with Durza riding a flying, smoking demon while shooting flaming comets.

The movie did not link it to Eldest very well, they left out the part with The Cripple who is Whole, telling Eragon what to do, so it doesn't make you anxious to see the next movie.
I doubt they will make Eldest. Since I won't see the movie or buy the DVD after reading the reviews here and else where. I thought Eldest the better book and look forward to reading it.
I read Eragon two years ago, so when the movie came out I had forgotten most of it. Big Laugh Smilie So I didn't remember what parts had been left out of the movie, or what plot changes there had been.

Needless to say, I rather enjoyed the movie!
I watched the movie in theatre, It was good. Always like to see good dragon movie and that was one. Happy Elf Smilie
Quote:
they left out the part with The Cripple who is Whole

not only did they leave that out, they left out the twins and the fact that murtagh was MIA at the end of the first book. how will they explain how he joined galbatorix?? unless they start off the second movie with that. they can also add the cripple who is whole at the beginning. it would kind of be like the death of boromir which had happened in the second book but was put into the first movie. And as well as when Frodo was taken by the orcs into Mordor after the whole spider thing. That happened in the second book but it was put into the third movie and it all worked out. You never know.this might.
More importantly, didn't Arya have dark hair in the book? And where are her pointy ears?

Looks like they pulled a Faramir, too.
i really did not like the way they portrayed the elves(no one is gonna let the pointy eared thing go trust me...) and the dwarves....did ne one else realize that they were like 5'8....wayyyy toooo tall. the ra'zov definatly were not supposed to look all wormy (but i guess it would be better than the beaked thingy's they described in the book)

however even in the books i didn't lyke the way they made the elves seem and the dwarves....
The movie when compared to the book was a BITTER disapointment!!! Arya was supposed to have raven locks and pointy ears...I heard they didn't give her the dark hair because they didn't want her to look like Arwen...who cares if she reminds us of Arwen?!?!?!! But at least give the elves pointy ears...because that really messes up the second film as pointy ears play a big part!

And the Ra'zac didn't look ANYTHING like they were described to be!!! And Brom and Eragon traveled for DAYS and they practiced sword-fighting every night! they should have shown it AT LEAST a few times so everyone didn't think that Eragon became this great fighter over night!

And what was with Saphira all of a sudden getting big and then just introducing herself to Eragon...it didn't happen anything like that!!!

AND WHY DIDN'T SAPHIRA AND ARYA BREAK THE SAPPHIRE (or was it a ruby) AS THEY CAME TO RESCUE ERAGON??? That was SUCH a big deal in the book! And why didn't Eragon get captured by Durza's men? He didn't just WALTZ up to save Arya like that!

Murtagh was pretty hot though...

Speaking of him...why was Murtagh locked into a WOODEN CAGE? In the book he is taken to this really nice room and then Ajihad lets him fight in the battle.

Also...Troihem (sure I misspelled it) is descriped as MASSIVE and MILES HIGH! Something they EASILY could have done with special effects...yet they made it look all of like, 7 stories high.

And they didn't even mention that the dwarves were dwarves! The ONLY reason I know who was a dwarf was because I was REALLY looking out for it!!! And you had to REALLY pay attention to notice it.

And what was with the Varden people having these really colorful, sparkly and cheery costumes???????????? They are supposed to be HALF-STARVING!!!!!!!!! They should have been in tattered rags...with patches and faded colors!!!! And stringy dirty hair...not four foot high headpieces!!!

And where were the twins? Who is supposed to take Murtagh now?

And WHY WAY ARYA FLIRTING WITH ERAGON??? She is SUPPOSED to discourage him!!!

And where was the whole Roran and Katrina story line? That's like half of the story in Eldest and she wasn't even MENTIONED!!!!!

Did I mention the Ra'zac are actually supposed to be HOODED and have BEAKS?!?!

Oh and Brom and Eragon were supposed to be hunting the Ra'zac...not running AWAY FROM THEM!!!

Yes...these were just a few of the problems I had with the movie.
I actually enjoyed it if I didn't compare it to the book.

Christopher Paolini must be soooo upset.
I know I was...am.
Oh well, happy I still haven't watched it.
Me too! I'm happy that I've given it a miss. I loved the first two books and can't wait for the third, but this thread turned me off the movie.
lmao
yeye
the movie wasw a dissapointment...i hope the third book will lose its heavy influence on lotr and break off into its own lil thing!
but styll luv the book great stuff.
The Eragon movie was very different from LOTR, as was the book. I was kinda bored by the book, to be honest. It seemed to be of such a strange and flat flavor. I did not see any strong character, and everything seemed really shallow, for some reason... The movie I saw just because there are no other good movies, and I admit the landscape is impressive, as is the music. The shade was quite menacing, but the Varden looked so outlandish, and the Elf! Oh dear.... Elves like just have a wrong FEELING to them.

Anyways, not satisfactory. The movie was just as bad as the book.
Quote:
and the Elf! Oh dear.... Elves like just have a wrong FEELING to them
I agree Clover but my reason is because I compare them to much with Tolkiens ..and that is hopeless..Likes the books but not the movie (Eragorn that is Smile Smilie )

I agree with clover. Orc With Thumbs Up Smilie , absolutly horrible.
I have finally watched this film and I found it not bad at all. In fact, I was pleasantly surprised.

The film is not on par with the book, which is a good thing - mainly, Eragon isn't the wimpy, whiney brat from the book and Arya wasn't cold and haughty as in the book.

I did have the impression some parts of the movie were either rushed or parts were cut, particularly the voyage to the Varden base and the final battle.
I finally watched Eragon the movie last night on cable and it was good; they cut a lot, but that was expected. They left room for the sequels; if they choose. Does anyone know if they are going to make another one or if the third book will be written anytime soon?
Quote:
Does anyone know if they are going to make another one or if the third book will be written anytime soon?
The official site of the book hasn't been updated in a long time. So who knows?