Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Ladyhawke

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Older Movies > Ladyhawke   
I watched Ladyhawke (1985) on cable last night and had forgotten how good the story was. I assume most of you have seen it and agree, for those that haven't:

Two years ago the Bishop of Aquila (John Wood) in his jealous lust, cursed the lovers Lady Isabeau d'Anjou (Michelle Pfieffer) and Captain Etienne Navarre (Rutgar Hauer) causing the former to transform into a hawk by day and the latter into a wolf by night, and never the twain shall meet again in human form.

What remains is the story of how thief Phillipe Gaston, aka 'the Mouse' (Mattheew Brodrick) and Monk 'Father Imperius' (Leo McKern) helped to remove this curse, such that they could all live happily ever after. For you horse lovers, the Captain rides a beautiful black Friesian Stallion.
Nice trick of the Bishop of Aquila. Pity Master Elrond didn't think of this during his attempts to drag his daughter away from a burly Ranger's intimate attentions.

Why a hawk and a wolf anyway? I'd changed them into a toad and a aardvark.
Quote:
Why a hawk and a wolf anyway? I'd changed them into a toad and a aardvark.

Now, Vir, what could possibly be beautiful and romantic about a toad and an aardvark?
Wow, the didn't sound familiar, but then you described the story and I realized I have seen it, but a long time ago.... Anyway, I remember thinking it was good movie...
Yes, very good and very romantic both. My wife introduced me to this flick back in 1987 when she and I had just started dating. We thought it was good, though the armor and costuming is hardly authentic to the period.

But I thought this must have been Leo McKern's first sympathetic role. Michelle Pfeiffer and and Rutger Hauer were excellent--I personally have never liked them better in anything else. And John Wood as the renegade bishop of Aquila--has he every played a more sinister role? Come to that, has he ever played a sympathetic role?

I could have wished that the final fight scene were not inside the cathedral. But given the plotline, it was not wholly uncalled for. The cinematography for this movie was fantastic. Does anyone remember if this story was from an old fairytale?
Quote:
Now, Vir, what could possibly be beautiful and romantic about a toad and an aardvark?

The fact that a relationship between these two very different animals is so unlikely.
Quote:
Does anyone remember if this story was from an old fairytale?
I don't know if it has a basis in medieval, classical, or romantic liturature or even in folklore, but do I know Edward Khmara is credited with the story and shared in the credit for the screenplay.
Quote:
Michelle Pfeiffer and and Rutger Hauer were excellent--I personally have never liked them better in anything else.

All's well that ends well then. Originally Rutger Hauer was cast as the Captain of the guard and Kurt Russel was supposed to play Etienne Navarre. Hauer was not happy with his role, wanting to play the lead, so when Russel dropped out they let him.

My main memory of this film was getting into a huge bust-up with an ex-girlfriend because I had watched it with one of my mates rather than with her.
Quote:
My main memory of this film was getting into a huge bust-up with an ex-girlfriend because I had watched it with one of my mates rather than with her.

I guess that was the moment she became your 'ex' ?

Woman : man's best fiend!

Elk Grinning Smilie
I adore that film i watched it about 2 days ago and i completely forgotten how great it was, not too bad a graphics for 1985 eh? Doesnt Matthew Broderick look young?