Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: My Name is Nobody

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Older Movies > My Name is Nobody   
Last night I again watched Henry Fonda and Terrence Hill in the 1974 parody of western-movie tradition: My Name is Nobody.

Fonda plays the old gunfighter who wants to retire. Hill plays the nobody who wants to build Fonda's reputation ever higher so that it would be written up in the history books. Towards this end Nobody arranges that Fonda has to take on the charging 'Wild Bunch', all 150 of them at once, with nothing but his Winchester, his trusty Colt, and a hidden substance. This film is best watched in letterbox mode due to this scene. Once Nobody had built up Fonda's reputation, they had a public face-down with a twist.

The Ennio Morricone musical soundtrack is reminiscent of all the Sergio Leone Spaghetti Westerns starring Clint Eastwood. Great fun.
Has Nobody seen this movie?
Nope Smile Smilie cant say that I have seen itSmile Smilie
i think you are on your own this time Grondy Big Smile Smilie
Sheesh! You'd think I wrote about one of the hundred old cowboy movies I watched as a boy on TV in the fifties staring Bob Steele, he who wore too much makeup. Orc Grinning Smilie
oooooooh him Orc Going Huh Smilie Elf With a Big Grin Smilie

edit: now that i do think about it, i have seen a film with Terence Hill, but it's called 'They call me Trinity' not 'My Name is Nobody', its one of my favourite films hilariously funny is that the one you are refering to???

edit again: ive done some research and it is who i think he is he's a great actor, your not on your own Grondy, you have me, i love the duo of Terence Hill and Bud Spencer
No I haven't seen that one but I think perhaps my oldest son's teacher has. She has a seat in the back of her class that children who displease her m ust sit on for ten minutes. It is called Mr. Nobody's seat. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
you don't like that, eh Leelee?
Being forced to wear donkey ears is much more fun.
A conical dunce hat also works too; and having a nose that grows when you tell lies, ala Pinochio, is also helpful.
But that is cruel to do that to little ones, they already struggle with self esteem.
Do I understand then that you have had to wear donkey ears Vir or that you had to wear a dunce cap dear Grondy?
And no I DON'T like that Turin you funny boy. You Are a boy are you not(please don't let me be making a fool of myself.......yet again!)
Sometimes the pendulum swings too far and children are instilled with too much self-esteem and too little regard for others. This may already have happened to some of our younger gererations, but not to all of them.
Having worked with hundreds of children I must agree But demeaning someone is not the cure.
proper consequences and teaching the child about respecting others and their rights is better don't you think?
Now what was this thread about anyway.? time to get back on track! Smile Smilie

I found this review of My Name is Mr. Nobody on Amazon.com:

Editorial Reviews

Amazon.com
My Name is Nobody is a spoof of spaghetti Westerns, but it's also a legitimate, highly regarded entry in the genre. Its pedigree is purebred, as it was executive produced by the maestro of spaghetti Westerns, Sergio Leone, as a personal farewell to the genre that he helped to create. It's a transitional film, cheekily acknowledging the impact of The Wild Bunch and Sam Peckinpah (whose name is seen on a gravestone in one scene) and the popularity of Terence Hill, whose comedic "Trinity" films represented the last gasp of the once-glorious spaghetti Western. All of these elements are beautifully combined in the amusing tale of Nobody (Hill), an ambitious young gunman in 1899 who idolizes a legendary gunslinger Jack Beauregard, played by Henry Fonda in his final Western (and his second for Leone, after the classic Once Upon a Time in the West). Before Beauregard can retire in peace, Nobody sets up a final showdown of epic proportions, and the great Ennio Morricone enhances the abundance of memorable scenes with one of his most playfully inventive scores (including a comical use of Wagner's "Ride of the Valkyries"). Tonino Valerii fully deserved his director's credit, but Leone also made significant contributions (including the opening scene), and the result is a delightful and surprisingly resonant film that Steven Spielberg later called his favorite Leone production. It's easy to see why: Like many of Spielberg's films, My Name is Nobody qualifies as both art and entertainment. --Jeff Shannon