Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: City Heat

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Older Movies > City Heat   
Last night I again watched City Heat, the 1984 action-comedy film starring Clint Eastwood and Burt Reynolds. In this prohibition era cop and robbers caper, they ragged on each other as a police detective and a private investigator, who had once been partners and who seemed to almost, but not quite hate each others guts, proceeded to annihilate two opposing gangs of racketeers; and each end up with a girl, one of whom was Madeline Kahn. I had quite a few laughs watching it.
Anyone remember this movie?
Never heard of it. Never seen Eastwood in a comedy, too, btw, only remember him from being the grim hero in many a western, not to mention the Magnum wielding cop in Dirty Harry.
I've seen it some time ago, but then I've seen just about all of Clint's movies including the comedies.
There's a story when Burt and Clint were starting out in films (back in the 50's), on one movie they were messing around. The producer not only fired them, but said they'd never make it in Hollywood since Burt can't act worth a damn and Clint's Adam's apple was too big. As they were walking out Burt joked to Clint:
"I suppose I can always take acting lessons but I don't know what you'll do about your Adams apple"

Shows how much producers know
Clint really made it big in the TV series Rawhide, where he played one of the wranglers. I watched it during my uni years back in the late fifties and early sixties.
Quote:
Rollin, rollin, rollin. Keep movin, movin, movin,
Though they’re disapprovin, keep them doggies movin Rawhide!

Don’t try to understand ‘em, just rope and throw and grab ‘em, soon we’ll be living high and wide.
Boy my heart’s calculatin. My true love will be waitin, be waitin at the end of my ride.

Move ‘em on, head ‘em up, head ‘em up, move ‘em out,
Move ‘em on, head ‘em out Rawhide!
Set ‘em out, ride ‘em in ride ‘em in, let ‘em out, cut ‘em out, ride ‘em in Rawhide.

- sung by Frankie Lane
After Clint got the parts in A Fist Full of Dollars and the rest of the Spaghetti Westerns, he could write his own checks. Like he did in all the Dirty Harry movies. He's turned out to be an even better director.

Burt was always in comedies and I think he needed others to really play-off against. I think his best movie was Smokie and the Bandit, which still makes me laugh.
I think I saw a couple of Rawhide re-runs, but mostly I remember the theme from the Blues Brothers where they sing this behind chicken wire in Bob's Country Bunker to placate a bunch of irate rednecks.
Yes, I watched the Blues Brothers a few nights back. That chicken wire was to stop the thrown beer bottles—empty of course; no one ever wastes a full one—from hitting the performers when the bar's irate redneck patrons take exception to the band's: selection of music, rendition of that music, their looks, and/or just that it was Thursday. (I'm not sure about the latter, but I decided to add it because it sounded even more funny.) Elf With a Big Grin Smilie