Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: The Pirates of the Caribbean

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > DVD Releases > The Pirates of the Caribbean   
Is anyone here as obsessed with the movie as I am?
well, obsessed might be a tiny little bit exaggerated, but I quite like it. and not necessarily because of ob and johnny depp, I'm not that hysteric and so much in love with them and so on. I think it's very funny, the somewhat different pirate movie... and I'm looking forward to number II and III, although I guess they're not half as brilliant as the first one, following parts never are.
I was actually pleasantly surprised and thought it was pretty good, though I also wouldn't go as far as obsessed. I expected it to be another in a now distressingly long line of "this made us some cash a few decades back; let's make some more of kids too young to remember it" from Disney, but surprise, surprise, this one had a plot. It's still no Captain Blood though. I won't say what I'm thinking, but if my suspicions are correct Johnny Depp is nothing compared to Errol Flynn.
Well, when I said "obsessed," I didn't really mean obsessed. But I do like it a lot. I am also looking forward to II and III, but I don't see how they are going to be pieced together. I haven't heard anything about the stories that will base the next two. If anyone hears anything, let me know!
Quote:
I haven't heard anything about the stories that will base the next two. If anyone hears anything, let me know!

Part II : Miss Swann will be kidnapped by Spanish Buccanneers. Mr Turner will then go on a quest to retrieve her, with the help of Cap'ain Sparrow.

Part III : Miss Swann will be kidnapped by French Corsairs. Mr Turner will then go on a quest to retrieve her, with the help of Cap'ain Sparrow.

Part IV : Miss Swann will be kidnapped by Icelandic whalers. Mr Turner will then go on a quest to retrieve her, with the help of Cap'ain Sparrow.

Part V : Miss Swann will be kidnapped by the German Kriegsmarine. Mr Turner will then go on a quest to retrieve her, with the help of Cap'ain Sparrow.

Part VI : well, you know the story by now, don't you?
Beautiful Miruvor! You do know your sequels and said that better than ever I could. Way to go! Elf With a Big Grin Smilie

I did get a kick out of the movie, though I have only watched it once. I did buy the DVD.
Wow! Sounds exciting - a lot of kidnapping going on!
Thank you, Miruvor!
Awwww....man, someone actually took it seriously.... Exclamation Smilie way to go, Miruvor!!!! Juggling Smilie
I quite enjoyed it and am crossing my fingers hoping the sequal will have just as much irony, artistry, swank, swagger, and and earnest swashbuckling. I thought the music was quite well done Smile Smilie

and hey, I don't worship actors but let's face it: Johnny Depp pulled off a performance that made the whole thing work.

(BTW, wouldn't "Miss Swann" become "Mrs. Turner" sometime between sequals 3 and 5?)
Quote:
(BTW, wouldn't "Miss Swann" become "Mrs. Turner" sometime between sequals 3 and 5?)
No, they will wait until sequal number seven and all thirteen of their children will be able to attend the wedding. Besides, we must have a few, if not too many, 'boy loses girl, boy regains girl', etc. before they can actually be married. Elf Sticking Tounge Out Smilie
Hey, they've been through enough "boy loses girl boy regains girl" stuff already. I think a "man loses wife, man regains wife" thing is much more like it. Men feel more possessive towards the gels when they officially become "theirs".
Quote:
Men feel more possessive towards the gels when they officially become "theirs".

Of course they do. Women tend to empty a flask of hairgel in about 5 minutes, after all. Better to keep them gels as far from their claws as possible.
I love this movie! It is funny every time. My absolute favorite part is when Jack is up on the crows nest at the beginning of the movie, and the ship is sinking underneath him, but he rides it right up to the dock and just steps off. Itís hilarious! I first watched the beginning after an English final (everyone finished early), and then persuaded my parents first to allow me to borrow it and then to purchase it. Iím dubious about the sequels, though. Whatís the point? Leave it at being a good movie, already.
Ok, first off, I have to admit that I am a true die hard Johnny Depp fan. Not, just because of his looks. Although, it was what he looked like that got my attention the first time I saw him, it was his performance in 21 Jump Street and everything that I have seen him in since. I think he is an excellent actor and can pull of many different types of rolls not to mention that he can speak French fluently, and is a very intelligent man, from everything that I have read about him. I really don't think he was acting very much in POTC because I think he just looked drunk or stoned throughout the entire movie. I was looking at his eyes and they were entirely too dilated for the scenes without some sort of inducement.

As far as the movie is concerned, I loved it and laughed all the way through it every time I have seen it. I think all of the actors and actresses did and excellent job. It was just a really cute movie and a good laugh. I can't wait to see the next installments of this movie.

But I have to agree with Miruvor about what is going to happen in the next two movies. Part II: Miss Swann will be kidnapped by Spanish Buccaneers. Mr. Turner will then go on a quest to retrieve her, with the help of Cap'ain Sparrow. So on and so forth. But if the performances are anywhere as good as they were in the first movie, it should be just as good.

Eva lilith said:
My absolute favorite part is when Jack is up on the crows nest at the beginning of the movie, and the ship is sinking underneath him, but he rides it right up to the dock and just steps off. That was my favorite part too.

That was a cool part, but I liked the part when he and Will are taking over the ship and Will says "Aye avast!" and Sparrow just snickers or something. That was just squeal-worthy!
Quote:
Eva lilith said:
My absolute favorite part is when Jack is up on the crows nest at the beginning of the movie, and the ship is sinking underneath him, but he rides it right up to the dock and just steps off. That was my favorite part too.
Wasn't that gag also the opening bit of the "Popeye" movie, except he used a sinking rowboat and when the Sweethaven tax collector tried to charge him moorage tax, the boat was no longer on the surface?
You should see Pirates!, that is good movie. Good acting, special effects, story. It very good film. Carmen Luvanas acting is good and so is Devons.
I loved the pirates of the carribean movies, I kind of have a thing for pirates, I wish there were more good movies and books like this one
I have seen the trailer and I'm really looking forward to see it on the big screen..Smile SmilieLove those movies
I love this movie!!!

I've seriously seen it...over 10 times!!! It's just SO good! ANNNND I liked the second one and the third one will be here soon TOO!!! =]
I can't wait for "The World's End" I saw the trailer for it on the Disney Website, and it does look very good, and I was glad to see that Jack was in it, and not just show up at the end, still has his wit Orc Smiling Smilie of course.... but can't wait for May....
May 25th cannot get here soon enough!!!!!
Aye!! It'll be a grrrrreat movie indeed maties!! Orc Grinning Smilie