Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: The Star Wars Movies!

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > DVD Releases > The Star Wars Movies!   
Before I say anything, I'll admit that I am a Star Wars junkie. I own the collectors additions of Episodes IV, V, and VI, and I'm soon to own the collectors editions of I, II, and III. Anyway, this is what I thought about the movies:
IV, V, & VI (A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, The Return of the Jedi)- The Classics; kind of cheesy in certain parts, but hey, that's science fiction, right?
I (The Phantom Menace)- Interesting story; shows the young Anakin Skywalker (later Darth Vader) and his childhood experiences; shows how he began his youg life as a rebel.
II (The Attack of the Clones)- Anakin's teen years, with his love of Padme; Drawn out, and I guess I could say, kind of boring...
III (The Revenge of the Sith)- THE BEST ONE EVER! I thought that Episode III was the most exciting movie of them all. It had awesome battle scenes and the excitement all builded up until the final fight at the end between... dun, dun, dun! Anakin and his Jedi Master, Obi-Wan Kenobi. The movie's ending was also linked very well with Episode IV, A New Hope.

So, after I wrote that extremely long and boring critique on the Star Wars movies, does anyone else agree or have any comments?
I have yet to see Revenge of the Sith but that is because no one else in my family or friends want to see it. As for the other movies i really enjoyed them but im not a Star Wars junkie yet!
Quote:
So, after I wrote that extremely long and boring critique on the Star Wars movies, does anyone else agree or have any comments?

It's Anakin, instead of Anikin.
Ah Miruvor, always noticing the details. That was a simple slip of the kand. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie

Im a bit of a StarWars junkie too. But unluckily, not one with such a deep pocket. I dont even own all the movies. I meet Star Wars before LOTR, thats sure. SW was one of the first films i saw as a kid, and LOTR i read when i was some... 10. And still LOTR holds a higher place over SW in my mind by a simple fraction! I love them both with a nearly dangerous flame. Shocked Elf Smilie

No really, i think they are both great. And wo and behold.....i have still not seen Star Wars III !!!! Yep. I was kinda busy when it came to the cinema near to me, and so...i missed it. But ill get a crack on it as soon as i can. Ill be delighted if the movie is only half as great as you say it is Celebriannenharma!!
The difference between SW and LOTR is that with SW, the movies are better than the books.
That is because the books came after the movies. Instead of the other way around which is most normal.
Indeed RotS was awesome. My least favorite parts were probably with Anakin and Padmé, but there were some touching points in the film and the graphics were great, though I forget some of the storyline. The music was impeccable as usual. Thumbs Up Smilie
Hey Miruvor...
Quote:
It's Anakin, instead of Anikin.

I fixed it. Smile Smilie
I was never a SW fan, but my family dragged me off to see RotS, so I saw it, and well, I'll admit it's OK. So I saw the other movies. And well, let's say I don't like Anakin anymore. Luke's a lot better...
Quote:
And well, let's say I don't like Anakin anymore. Luke's a lot better...

He is, but ultimately it was Anakin who had to save Luke's arse. Although to some pundits, Luke did this on purpose to force his father to return to the Light Side.
In my opinion, Anakin was more powerful because he was driven by hatred, greed, anger, jealousy... but being more powerful doesn't have to mean better, just most of the time.
I would not have thought Luke more powerful than Anakin either. But who defeated whom in that last saber fight? Vader had lost to Luke, so there must have been some kind of development of Luke's abilities under Yoda. But Luke was not yet ready to face Palpatine, or at least, not alone. In that last predicament, I doubt that he willfully choreographed what happened.

But it turned out well because by showing his father he would not give in to the Dark Side, it reminded Anakin of his own surrender and the "reasons" which justified it. You could see Vader mentally contrasting his surrender to Luke's stand. Before "Revenge of the Sith," it looked only like Vader could not make up his mind to abandon his Emperor at this point. Now that "Sith" is out, we know that Anakin was remembering everything that Palpatine had done to trap him in the name of "protecting those he loved." And here the Emperor was killing his last family member, except for Leia. So Anakin finally came out of darkness, as Luke had hoped, and fulfilled his real "destiny," and the prophecy.
I never ever bothered with viewing any of the Star wars. And then last week a member of m y family came home with a boxed set. His co worker wanted him to see t hem. First we watched the prequels, they seemed like silly cartoons to me except for a little at the end before the twins were born and I was not keen on seeing the rest.
Then we watched the first made Star Wars movies and they were alright. The last one t hough just broke my heart. I loved that Luke refused to give in to the dark side, no matter what.
And like any child he called out to his father to help him. From that moment on I was riveted and when he took the mask of his father both Clayton and I burst into tears. I love redemption.
Strangely though George Lucas I think isn't religious or anything I couldn't help think that the Force, well the good side is like the Holy Spirit for Christians because there is a scripture that says : when He the Holy Spirit comes, HE will lead you into all truth and righteousness. That seems to be what leaving things to the Force does, leads and guides and directs one.
And then although the creepy Emperor tells Luke there is no way out of the dark side once it has a hold on you, even Yoda said so before he died, yet just like the God of the Bible says you can always come to him and be redeemed by turning away from the dark, no matter how deep you are in. And so Anakin , well Darth Vader repents in a way and dies.And in the bible satan who is like the emperor always swaddles a tiny seed of truth in a lie.
And then it seemed so wierd that his body was burned upon a pyre, until I thought of other scriptures that talk about burning out evil through fire. Fire is big somehow. And right after that we see Yoda and Obi Wan and yes there too is Anakin, youthful, beautiful and in that hallowed place as if by fire, like a sort of purgatory he has been cleansed and allowed to enter that place whatever it is, like those who only did good.
Well it just seemed religious and that shocked me. Didn't fit some how. So I am a little perplexed.
But I loved the very end, the party thrown by those little Ewoks. The music was lovely.
Quote:
MiruvorThe difference between SW and LOTR is that with SW, the movies are better than the books.

Fair enough i can agree with that whole heartily. Reason being though, which i'm sure you know, George Lucas wrote the story for SW for films, he had to keep in mind when he was writing the scripts, how they were going to shoot the movie and if the scenes were capable of being put to film without looking awful.

Tolkien on the other hand wrote his story for books a.k.a. the imagination, and didn't have to worry about how a scene would appear in a movie. Because with our imagination we can conjure, if the reader is capable of understanding the grammar, up basically anything the author puts on paper.
I believe my old alter ego was referring to the SW books of Terry Brooks, not movie scripts.
i never read any of those star wars books, I've just seen the 6 movies. So you are saying this Terry Brooks dude has wrote the books episode I - VI after they already made the movies?
Quote:
Gandalf-Olorin So Anakin finally came out of darkness, as Luke had hoped, and fulfilled his real "destiny," and the prophecy.

Hey i never thought of that until you just posted it. In the end he did fulfill his destiny! It just took a lot longer than expected...

I wonder if Anakin was stronger in the force (with fighting techniques and such) before he turned into Vader. I just can't see Luke being as strong as everyone makes him out to be, considering he was new to the whole force thing and only studied in the span from episode IV - VI. Where as you have Anakin who had not only the benefit from learning at a much younger age, around 6 or so until he turned into Vader (not sure how old he was then 20ish?) After he turned Vader and from then on he started to learn a whole different, darker, side of the force (which is probably almost like starting from scratch again because it's so different?)

Luke is probably my favourite Star Wars hero, however, if you took Luke with his skills from Return of the Jedi and threw him into Revenge of the Sith era, i believe Luke would get worked over by a lot of different Jedi in the time.

I don't know much about the Star Wars universe though, I always really enjoyed the movies but am not a fanatic and would be put to shame by all them Star Wars geeks out there.
Power is one thing, dexterity something else entirely. You may be be powerful, but if you do not know how to use that power, then you are defeated like what happened to Anakin at the end of Revenge of the Sith - highly peculiar, though, considering how easily Count Dooku defeated Obi-Wan whilst Anakin was able to easily cream him in Revenge of the Sith.
Ya there are a few anomalies in the Star Wars movies. Episode VI Luke asks Leia if she remembers her 'real' mom and she does and says something like she was very young when she died. However in Revenge of the Sith we all know she dies just after giving birth so there is no way she could remember her 'real' mom.

And how can Luke absorb the Emperor's lighting shock so well, when look how badly it devastated the Emperor in Revenge of the Sith, and it was also the icing on the cake to finish off Vader. Luke, however, brushes it off unscathed.
Quote:
However in Revenge of the Sith we all know she dies just after giving birth so there is no way she could remember her 'real' mom.

Yeh well, maybe it's the Force thing again. It can easily be explained away.
haha oh ya so easily be explained.
Quote:
And how can Luke absorb the Emperor's lighting shock so well...

Luke was wearing rubber soled boots and brushed his teeth using Colgate with Gardol toothpaste: "Just as this invisible shield protects..."