Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Whale Rider

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Favorite Films > Whale Rider   
This is a really lovely film, it is so good I bought it on dvd. Give it a go!
I, too, have it on DVD. It's wonderful...makes me cry every time. The little girl in it is amazing!
Hmm, I ve never heard of it. Smile Smilie What is it about ???
I have it on DVD too. It is one of my all time favorite films.
It is about a Maori girl in New Zealand who is the granddaughter of the chief. Having no male heir, her grandfather starts to train boys from the tribe in the ancient ways in hopes of finding someone to be the future chief. But when the whales become beached it is a Maori girl who proves to have the gift that can save them.
Actually, it is hard to explain, but it is really good.
Whale Rider
Rent it, you won't regret it.
Thanks Rednell Smile Smilie
I watched the 'making of' after watching the dvd - this really is good - I've also just bought the book.
The Whale Rider book was written by Witi Ihimaera. And the 13-year-old star of the film, Keisha Castle-Hughes, was nominated for the Academy Awards Best Actress of 2003.
You should also check out "Easy Whale Rider", a movie about three rebel whales touring the USA on motorcycle, meeting all kinds of interesting ppl, all the whale discussing the reasons that started the French Revolution. Yeh, definately (how do you spell that word??) worth checking out.
Quote:
The Whale Rider book was written by Witi Ihimaera. And the 13-year-old star of the film, Keisha Castle-Hughes, was nominated for the Academy Awards Best Actress of 2003.

YEAH! Because she wanted to meet Johnny Depp, and then the host introduced her to him and she was like all bashful it was so precious. hehe