Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Favourite Narnia books

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The Books > Favourite Narnia books   
I personally love 'The Horse and his Boy' and 'The Last Battle', but the rest are still on my list of favourites.
I'm partial to The Silver Chair because of the Puddleglum the Marshwiggle, though I also like The Horse and His Boy. I'm not sure which is my favorite.
As for me, I like the second one "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" cause it was the first book I read... But I also like "The Horse and his Boy"... Hey, by the way, how do u think the movie will be a success or not?
I think it will be, as I have seen some sneak peeks on the web. It looks like it will be better than the low-budget BBC one! Who remembers the silver chair, where the prince is playing with a giant rubber snake!!! Big Laugh Smilie Big Laugh Smilie
I do, with Dr. Who playing Puddleglum.
That was Tom Baker, my favorite Dr. Who, I'm not sure if it was the scarf or the warts. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
Or maybe the pesamisticality ( or however you spell it!)
Yes, Puddleglum and all Marshwiggles were known for their pessimistical attitude; though Puddleglum's reputation for this among his peers wasn't very high, for he told the children as they were making plans at the start of their journey:
Quote:
"... They say—I mean, all the other wiggles all say—that I'm too flighty; don't take life seriously enough. If they've said it once, they've said it a thousand times. 'Puddleglum,' they've said, 'you're altogether too full of bobance and bounce and high spirits. You've got to learn that life isn't all fricasseed frogs and eel pie. You want something to sober you down a bit. We're only saying it for your own good, Puddleglum.' That's what they say. ... "
Now who couldn't like someone like that? Wiggle Smilie
Yes, Puddleglum is awesome... and probably the best played character in the old movies... unlike the witch/ green lady...
Yah, I think that the only decent actors out of the kids were Eustace and Pike, which is why The Silver Chair was one of the best acted ones.
Mine would be the Last Battle. It gives you so much scope for imagination as to what happens after in their lives... The Horse and his Boy was pretty good too. I like stuff about friendship.
BTW, is everyone here a fan of CS Lewis too?
Oh yeah. Orc With Thumbs Up Smilie
Quote:
I can only speak for myself, but I get the impression that the majority of our active book reading members are also fans of CS Lewis.
Yeah, almost everyone I know who likes LOTR likes Narnia too. There must be a sort of connection between the two... Wink Smilie
Cloveress: There is a connection. Big Smile Smilie Tolkien and Lewis were friends, so maybe they influenced each other's work in some subtle ways, or maybe it's just they way they can both captivate you and make you care about their characters. Big Smile Smilie

My favorite book has to be The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. It's just so exciting! I don't really like The Last battle though, because it basically was the world falling apart, and bad things happening. Even though they moved on to better things... The Horse and His Boy would have to be my second favorite then.

But I love them all! *hugs*
Quote:

yup, most people who are LOTR fans have read Narnia at some time or another.

my fav book is The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe because it was the first book of the Chronicles of Narnia i read i also like The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. but i like them all!!!
Thanks Dineniel for that little tidbit about the two authors. Smile Smilie I've always liked to connect the great fantasy worlds together in some way, needless to say, Middle-Earth and Narnia were most connected because they were the ones that stick to you most.
And yeah, Rivendellelf, everyone does seem to have read both books at some times. I sort of see them as the classics of fantasy works.
Tolkien and Lewis shared their in-progress work with each other for the constructive critisism they would receive, so it was even more than just being drinking buddies.
They're my two favourite authors. I even place them before JKR (don't hate me for it)
Nobody hates you for it! I don't think JKR even comes close to Tolkien and Lewis. Would be suprised at finding someone who does.
Oh yeaah...I seem to have forgotten that this is NOT a HP fansite....
Btw did you know that Lewis and Tolkeins major argument was that Tolkein didn't like the way that Narnia was very obviously allegorical ; he denied any deliberate allegories in Lotr.
No I didn't know that, Gwaihir, but that's quite interesting. Narnia IS allegorical, of course, but that's always what I've really liked about it...
I recall reading somewhere that Lewis denied the Chronicles of Narnia as being allegorical.

I like the last battle best.

But I am currently reading "The Silver Chair" to my younger cousins, and having a great time doing it.
'The Horse and His Boy' my favorite out of the Narnia series... I think I would enjoy 'The Silver Chair' quite a bit too, if it had not been for seeing the BBC version of it over 20 times between the ages of 2 and 10 Big Smile Smilie
I like the second "the lion witch and the wardrobe" best its very exiting....
I think The Last Battle is very clever on how its written! Read Smilie
Dont you agree??
(Please remember to close your tags)
And welcome to PT!! Smile Smilie

And I would venture to say that they are ALL cleverly written!!! Big Laugh Smilie
Thankyou Smile Smilie yes they are, its amazing how all the books have hidden meanings
It is "The lion,the witch and the wardrobe" for me because it was one of those early stories along with the Grimm tales that my brother and i used to read.Sadly he is no more and talking of Narnia reminds me of him.