Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: I'm currently reading

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Books > I'm currently reading   << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] >>
I'm again reading The Thin Man by Dashiell Hammett. I like the old movie with William Powell and Myrna Loy better than the book, but that is because they play it more as a comedy than just a mystery; and of course I saw the movie before I ever read the book. The book was published in 1934 and the movie came out later that same year.
The Once and Future King by TH White! It's for English, but still... It's a good book, and I can't believe I've never once thought of picking it up before it was introduced to me by that old hag of a teacher.
It was an excellent book, and as I remember the first part of it was the basis for the Disney animated movie.
Last night, I started reading (for the second time) Terry Pratchett's Small Gods.
Now I'm reading Terry Pratchett's Men at Arms.
I started reading again Neil Gaiman's American Gods.
One of my friends gave me 'Freakenomics" to read. Very interesting, although I want to get back to my annual Sil reading Orc Sad Smilie
I'm starting on my 3rd book from Scotland .It's called Voyager by Diana Gabaldon
Can't wait to start Read Smilie
Just finished reading again TP's Feet of Clay. I will next read his The Fifth Elephant for the second time.
I'm about half-way through William Morris's The Wood Beyond the World, It is a Medieval Romance Fantasy written in 1894.
Just finishing the trilogy by Elizabeth Kerner- 'Song in the Silence', 'Lesser Kindred' and 'Redeeming the Lost'
very good books!
The Yellow Star ( The gelbe Stern ) by Gerhard Schoenberner
Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett (my second time)
Locked Rooms by Laurie R. King, this is the eighth book in her Mary Russell Series in which Mary and her Husband Sherlock Holmes journey to her childhood home in San Fransisco in the early twenties, and delve into the death of her family which occurred years earlier.
Locked Rooms, in my above post, turned out to be what I thought was the best book in the series. It takes place in 1924 San Francisco and Holmes hires Dashiell Hammett, an ex-Pinkerton Detective and author of gumshoe detective novels (The Maltese Falcon, The Dain Curse, The Thin Man, etc.) to help him. From this we get a few literary bits of trivia that are fun, like the fact that a psychiatrist was bashed to death using a small black statue of a bird of prey. (Also this series has another parallel with The Thin Man series, ie both detectives have married California heiresses.) Meanwhile wife Mary Russel is trying to discover the lost memories from her childhood.

Laurie R. King lives Northern California and many of the descriptions of the localities in this book and the 1906 earthquake rang true. I finished this book at 4 AM this morning and had to get up at 8; so I'm too popped to poop! But I'd stay up read this barn-burner all over again it was so good, IMHO.
I'm currently reading, for the second time, Terry Pratchett's Night Watch in which Cmdr. Vimes gets caught in a time warp and gets thrown back in time and got to train his younger self. I love this one, even if the plot required Lu-Tze of the History Monks with their spinning time-wheels to get the major anomalies from occurring.
Today I bought ERAGON by CHRISOPHER PAOLINI and I've just started reading itRead Smilie
While waiting for the arrival of the paperback of the eleventh book in the 'Wheel of Time' series next week if not sooner, I'm reading some more short stories by Rudyard Kipling from his book Tales of East and West, which is a volume in my six volume set of Kipling's works.
I absolutely love Kipling.
I usually read several different books in tandem, all quite different.
Right now I am rereading The Fellowship of the Rings JRR Tolkien, Celtic Myths and Legends-Peter Berresford Ellis,Advent-(horror) Donald Gow.
Ihave never read a single Harry Potter. Do I need to read them all, start with book one? Are they all interdependant or can I just pick one and read?
hmm .. i just finished reading Eragon by Christopher Paolini .. have to say its a well written book .. though the similarities to Lotr are a little disconcerting .. i mean Furnost ???? neway .. the book was nice and im waiting to get my hands on Eldest .. the second book in the trilogy !!
just finished Jingo by Terry Pratchett Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
Quote:
I have never read a single Harry Potter. Do I need to read them all, start with book one? Are they all independent or can I just pick one and read?
You should start reading the first book in the series Harry Potter and the Philosophers's (or Sorcerers) Stone as they each detail one year of his education at Hogwarts School for Witches and Wizards.

Last night I started Knife of Dreams, the eleventh and next to last and hopefully not the last book in the 'Wheel of Time' series as I heard Robert Jordan is sickly.
Oh thankyou very much for that advice.
Does anyone have any advice about another series by a loved author that is a real world unto itself, the characters are rich and fleshed out and the plot actually goes somewhere and deposits something lasting and valuable into the mind and heart.
I guess because I spent so many years reading Russian classics and other language books as well as years devoted to Celtic and ancient Judaic works I never ever really got into anything like Lord of the Rings. I am very sorry for that and know absolutely nothing.
Any suggestions and why would be m ost happily and gratefully received.
Quote:
Does anyone have any advice about another series by a loved author that is a real world unto itself, the characters are rich and fleshed out and the plot actually goes somewhere and deposits something lasting and valuable into the mind and heart.

I can only speak for myself, but lThe Fionavar Tapestry and other works by Guy Gavriel Kay - who is also the person who co-worked on the Silmarillion with Christopher Tolkien.
Oh how positively exciting, my heart is beating faster just thinking about it. Thankyou so kindly.
You know, somehow I get the feeling you are very lovely to look at, quite the opposite of your avy.
Bythe way, do we have any sort of photo gallery or are we strictly mysterious and unknown to each other save through our posts?
I have not had time to go t hrough everything, not enough hours in the day or night to get everything done and filed away. Smile Smilie
Quote:
Bythe way, do we have any sort of photo gallery or are we strictly mysterious and unknown to each other save through our posts?

There used to be a small section on the old PT site where very few members posted their pics, but I think it's gone now.
When I joined PT there were pictures of the council members, but it has sadly disappeared
Do you recommend the second book of Eragon , Vir ? ( The Eldest is it ? )
My grandson said he was bringing me the first two books of the Eragon series to read next time he visits me. He said he enjoyed the first book, but never got around to reading the second. He's 14 and said he would read it later. I'm going to try to get him to read The colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett.
I've found out that Christopher Paolini put a lot of athiest arguments in his books. Something that is completely wrong for a kid's book.

Right now I'm reading The Black Arrow by Robert Louis Stevenson. For the second time.

Quote:
There used to be a small section on the old PT site where very few members posted their pics, but I think it's gone now.

What happened to it?

Quote:
I guess because I spent so many years reading Russian classics and other language books as well as years devoted to Celtic and ancient Judaic works I never ever really got into anything like Lord of the Rings.

May I ask, how old are you? I'm 16 now, but I haven't really read any Celtic or ancient Judaic works.
Quote:
I've found out that Christopher Paolini put a lot of athiest arguments in his books. Something that is completely wrong for a kid's book.

Paolini was only 15 when he wrote the book ,I don't think the though of that .My son( Ereinion) is 12 and he loves it ,doesn't seem to bother himSmile Smilie
But does he know any theology, because those arguments could mess up whatever theology he knows. That kind of stuff isn't right in a children's book, and is very peculiar coming from someone who is supposed to be Christian, and who was majorly and positively influenced by Tolkien and Lewis. That's just my belief and opinion though, no offense meant and I hope none is taken.
None taken Smile Smilie I'm having a good time while reading and looking at the pictures from the book written by Chris Smith .It's about the WEAPONS and WARS from LOTR Smile Smilie
I just finished Terry Pratchett's Witches Abroad. I had a laugh where he gave a Gollum-like bit player a couple lines in the story. Actually the book is filled with fairy tale references because the bad person is using those plots towards her own ends.

Now I'm reading his Eric which is a Faustian story featuring Rincewind as the demon from hell.

This is my second read through the Diskworld series.
Absolutely nothing else to read right now, though there will be in a few days, so I'm reading The Book of Lost Tales; Part 1 the second time.
Now I'm reading Terry P's Diskworld book, Interesting Times again. It's about the Wizzard Rincewind being sent to the Counterweight Continent (which has many characteristics of old China) where he meets once again Cohen the Barbarian and his invading Silver Horde of ancient codgers who have just crossed the Great Wall using ladders, though getting Mad Hamish's wheelchair over was quite a challenge. Anyway, Rincewind has been called there, but he knows not why.
If you think that atheistic stuff doesn't belong in children's books, don't dare read Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials! It's worse than Eragon in that regard.
I'm reading The Mosquito Coast by Paul Theroux. It's okay, I don't find myself that looking forward to reading it, but it has just enough stuff in it to make me not abandon it. But right now I'm thinking of reading the Mill on the Floss by George Eliot. I'm looking forward to that one, and I'll read it as soon as I finish this one.
My present from my loving husband: The Letters of J.R.R. TOLKIEN edited by Humphrey Carpenter with assistance of Christopher Tolkien
Can't wait to start Read Smilie I'm sure many of you have read it alreadySmile Smilie
My mom has been cramming theology, the best Traditional Catholic theology she could find, for over eight years now, so a few atheist arguments wouldn't bother me, but the point is that it should not be in a childrens book, while not lawfully wrong it is morally. I'm not condemming the books, just saying that if he is going to put that stuff into them, they shouldn't be recommended for the age group that they are: 10 and up. It should be for an older group, like 15+ thus encouraging parents to look more carefully at it if their ten-year-old wants to read it. Right now I'm reading Eragon, got it for Christmas from my Grandparents. It's a very good book.
Quote:
It should be for an older group, like 15+ thus encouraging parents to look more carefully at it if their ten-year-old wants to read it.
I'm a mother of 4 and as I've told you already my son Ereinion is 12 ,he read LOTR at the age of 8 .and many books after that Read Smilie I don't care about the language in some of the books as long as the story is good . (it has not made any bad influence on his daily language) On the other hand I believe that the films
often made out of the books.. make the story and language even more badSmile Smilie
ENJOY ERAGON !! WE sure didSmile Smilie
Quote:
My (grand)son Ereinion is 12 ,he read LOTR at the age of 8 .and many books after that

I can be a guarantee for that. And I have to inform you that Ereinion and his cousin has pushed me to start reading books about a 14 year old hero named Alex Rider.
The mill on the floss? i study that for english lit. interesting book.

But me am reading Jane Eyre again.
I am reading for the second time Umberto Eco's Name of the Rose. It has been a challenge this time; I keep falling asleep: maybe if I'd go to bed earlier. I also keep seeing Sean Connery as Adso's mentor, William (Sleuth Hound) of Baskerville, an English Franciscan: must be because I've seen the movie multiple times. If you like historical mysteries you'll like the book and the movie. Read Smilie
Quote:
ENJOY ERAGON !! WE sure did

Oh, I did. Eragon is a great book, and I can't wait to get the second one. Big Smile Smilie
Holy SMokes Grondy you sure do polish off those books!

I'm current reading Dean Koontz - Forever Odd It's about a guy who sees ghosts... or something.

i found that book in my stocking this xmas along with Wilbur Smith - The Triumph of the Sun too bad I already have that book in hardcover. Sad Smilie

Guess Santa wasn't paying much attention this year. :p

Quote:
Holy SMokes Grondy you sure do polish off those books!
When you're retired and read in bed at night and may get up whenever you want the next morning, then when you find a book that is a barn burner (page turner), you can afford to read all night if the book is so good it keeps you awake long enough. I usually read for at least an hour per night, usually before 2 AM.

Also, this page covers about four months duration so I don't read all that fast.
I got Eldest (by Christopher Paolini) today and I will start reading it this evening Smile Smilie Read Smilie
Just finished "King's Own" by Lorna Freeman. It's the sequel to her book Covenants, which I really liked, and the only thing that really bugged me about the second book was how she kept interrupting herself to update those who hadn't read the second book, though I understand why she spent so much time on it.
I'm going to postpone Name of the Rose and start Eregon tonight. My foot surgeon loaned it to me along with Eldest (the next book of Christopher Paolini's series) and the first book in a different series entitled Rangers Apprentice Book One: The Ruins of Gorlan by John Flanagan.
I'm about to start reading The Story of the Grail and the Passing of Arthur, by Howard Pyle, having just finished The Book of Pirates, by the said author.
  << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] >>