Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: I'm currently reading

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Books > I'm currently reading   << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] >>
That's very unfortunate Sian. Ha Ha Ha Smilie

i'm re-reading LOTR.
Sian: The butler didn't do it. Orc Grinning Smilie
I just finished reading The Parched Sea, by Troy Denning. It is Book One in the Forgotten Realms: The Harpers Series.

Now I have started reading Margery Allingham's Albert Campion Mystery The Fear Sign.
I have started reading Ulysses S. Grant, the autobiographical memoirs of the winning General of the War Between the States and later United States President, whose administration was almost as corrupt as the current one is inept. I have previously read a book about Grant's war experience written by one of his subordinates, and found it quite good. Prior to writing his autobiography, Grant was deeply in debt due to a recession and some bad investments. He finished it on his deathbed and it was a best seller, which enabled his wife from living in poverty for the remainder of her life.
I have just started Children of Hurin!!! Smile Smilie
Quote:
I have just started Children of Hurin!

Good for you..I'm going to buy it as wellSmile Smilie
I'm reading different books by J.R.R. Tolkien at the momentSmile Smilie
I just finished Margery Allingham's The Black Dudley Murder an Albery Campion Mystery.

Tonight I will read (for the second or third time) Lloyd Alexander's The Book of Three which is the first book of the Prydain Chronicles. It is about Taran the Assistant Pig-Keeper, Hen-Wen the Oracle Pig, and Gorgi the hairy, hungry critter that as I remember becomes Taran's loyal companion.
I am reading The Silmarillion. Just started it today.
The Children of Hurin appendix.
I'm now reading another of Margery Allingham's Albert Campion mysteries entitled The Tiger in the Smoke.
Quote:
The Children of Hurin appendix.

Thorin, since I was just reading the same thing last night, I have to ask... Did you do what I did? I read the preface, and the introduction, then skipped to appendix! Completely bypassing the story (for now), LOL! I figure since I already know how the story goes, I'd rather read the notes & history first, then maybe I'll start on the actual story this weekend. Weird, huh? Wink Smilie
Now I'm reading Lloyd Alexander's The Black Cauldron. The second book of the 'Prydrain Chronicles'. I have read this series a couple times before and really should try reading something else other than these chronicles, written by this author who died just last week.
I just finished reading Margery Allingham's Albert Campion mystery The Gyrth Chalice Mystery. Tonight I will probably start the third book of Lloyd Alexander's 'Prydain Chronicles', The Castle of Llyr.
I just finished Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe's Rifles for the second time. I read the whole series after seeing the multiple mini-series a few years back.

Tonight I intend to start Magyk, Book One of Angie Sage's 'Septimus Heap' series.
I really enjoyed Magyk, but before I read the second book, I'll try another Campion Mystery; though I'm not yet sure which one.

Later: Turns out it is Mystery Mile.
Not sure whether to start Sharpe's Eagle, Bernard Cornwell's second book in his Napoleonic war series or Taran Wanderer the forth book of the Prydain Chronicles by Lloyd Alexander.
I ended up reading all of Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe's Eagle that night (in about six hours) and since then I have been reading Lloyd Alexander's Taran Wanderer.
Grond, i liked those Lloyd Alexander books, too.. You're fortunate to have so much time to read!

I'm just beginning The Children of Hurin. So far the preface is very interesting, it really shows the depth of Christopher's involvement and interest in his father's writing.
Tonight I intend to start Flyte, Book Two of Angie Sage's 'Septimus Heap' fantasy series, which was probably written for young adults.
This week I've been reading for the second time, another Albert Campion mystery by Margery Allingham entitled Dancers in Mourning.
Quote:
Now I'm reading Lloyd Alexander's The Black Cauldron. The second book of the 'Prydrain Chronicles'. I have read this series a couple times before and really should try reading something else other than these chronicles, written by this author who died just last week.

O.O must've missed that... that's too bad. Sad Smilie

I would definitely recommend reading more of his books. He has such variety! His main series other than Prydain is the Vesper Holly series, which has a bit of an Indiana Jones meets Sherlock Holmes feel to it. A lot of his other standalone books are based on other mythologies- The Arkadians is Greek, The Iron Ring is Indian, and The Remarkable Journey of Prince Jen is Chinese.

I'm about a third of the way through Xenocide by Orson Scott Card; I'm working my way through the Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow series.
Tonight I'll start reading Lloyd Alexander's The High King, The fifth and final book of the 'Prydrain Chronicles'. I will have to look for some of his other novels.

I enjoyed the Ender's Game series, but got bogged down in the Ender's Shadow series and couldn't finish it.
Last night I decided to read again Lords and Ladies by Terry Pratchett. It is another book about the further adventures of the witch trio: Granny Weatherwax, Nanny Ogg, and Magrat. These three represent the same trinty of witches as appear in Neil Gaiman's, Lloyd Alexander's and Shakespeare's stories/plays. Great Fun!!!
That sounds like a great series Grondy. I really do like historical fiction. I am going to have to collect all of them before i start to read them. I hate to finish one book in a series and not have the next handy. It is very frustrating.

I have another series that I want to start recommened to me by a friend of mine but so far I have only found the last one in the series. I don't remember how many she said there were. The authors name is Diana Gabaldon and the first book is called Outlander. Has anyone read it? Is it good?

I just finished the Laurell K. Hamilton "faerie" series. It was pretty good, but not i am caught up and have to wait till october.

So, at the moment I am between books. I have several and just can't decide which I want to read next. I have a Neil Gaiman book, some paranormal romance books, (me reading anything in a romance genere is so odd), I also have a lot of the Redwall series by Brian Jacques. Since the Borne Ultimatium is comming out soon I wanted to re-read those but I can't find my 2nd book at the moment. It is in my house somewhere. Only the good Lord knows because it looks like a pig's stye. I have some Dean Koontz book here, and of course Stephen King and an Anne Rice book, and so many others that i can't keep up with all of them.

Mellie
Drums of Autumn 2 by Diana Gabaldon ( the 5th and the last book about Claire and James in Inverness /Scotland )I'm looking forward to read the end of this beautiful storyRead Smilie
Mid-stride into the Harry Potter series, but also (at the same time):

starting on The Fisherman's Lady (George MacDonald),
Wavering between starting several E. Nesbit choices,
meditating on Psalms
nearly done with Freedom Writers (Erin Gruwell and class - good but I can't take it in all at once)
Just finished The Riddle-Master of Hed trilogy (which is a first time for me)
and just finished The Four Loves and The Weight of Glory (C.S. Lewis)
And just finished The Blue Sword (Robin McKinley)
And taking bits and pieces of Les Miserables -- (slow going, like eating mounds of peanut butter! but holding the whole scope of the story and the every detail of every place and character is rewarding in the end. If you've not read this, imagine tolkien putting every note he ever made about every word and every character and every place into every chapter of LoTR in which that word or character or place is introduced, constantly leaving the plot hanging while he plunges into histories which rightly ought to be explored in appendixes and other books.....)
I'm reading several different books at the moment.
I'm a bit ashamed to admit that I'm re-reading Harry Potter, just finished the first one.
Also, a sample of Celtic mythology that has a bunch of stories according based on the country of origin.
I was also re-reading The Lord of the Rings but I seem to have put that down for now. I probably deserve to have my hands cut off for that.
In addition, I have a few bits of required reading that are very boring, pointless, and resemble modern soap operas to me.
Last night I started reading Physik, Book Three of Angie Sage's 'Septimus Heap' fantasy series, which was probably written for young adults or pre-teens even. I think the series is fun, the chapters are short and the epic tale is good.
Just finished reading The Road by Cormac McCarthy. It seemed rather dull to me. I'm not going to lie and say I found the matter deep and intruguin to the end. It was deep, and intriguing, but it was also a little repetitive...

Now I really wanna get back to My HoME series so I can reread the Debate between Finrod and Andreth...
I started reading The Icebound Land today. It is volume three in the Ranger's Apprentice series by John Flanagan.
Now I'm reading Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe's Gold for the second time. Sharpe and company must steal some Spanish gold from enemy territory past the French army and Spanish guerrillas and get it to Wellington to pay for the British army and its allies in Portugal in August of 1810; else they lose the War in the Peninsula against Napoleon.
I'm re-reading the books about Harry Potter ,right now it is :
Harry Potter and the Order of the PhoenixIt's still a great fun to read them
I'm re-reading the 1991 book, Elfshadow by Elaine Cunningham. It is the second book in the Forgotten Realms 'Harpers' Series.
Tonight I will start re-reading one of two books:
Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe's Company the fourth book in the Spanish Napoleonic War series
or
Terry Pratchett's Interesting Times, where the "wizzard" Rincewind goes on a mission to the Counterweight Continent.
The davinci code
I am a couple pages away of finishing "Children of Dune." After which I will start "God Emperor of Dune."
Having now finished re-reading both books in my previous post of this thread, I next intend to read Lord Dunsany's The Sword of Welleran and Other Stories, originally published in 1908 by George Allen & Sons. I just got a copy of the 2005 Dover Publications trade paperback edition.
I'm still trying to read the stories in the above book, but instead I have again been listening to Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows on CD.
A Town like Alice by Nevil Shute
Maybe some of you have read it ?
I decided to read again "A Princess of Mars" the 1912 story of John Carter's first trip to the 'Red Planet' as written by Edgar Rice Burroughs.
I just finished "the Master and Margarita", then went on to read "Children of Dune". I still have to take out the fourth book ...
I'm thinking of again reading The Scarlett Pimpernel tonight.
Quote:
I'm thinking of again reading The Scarlett Pimpernel tonight.

Oh , Grondy I love that storySmile Smilie
I'm reading Discovering Angels by Christine Astell
The 1920 Sci-Fi novel A Voyage to Arcturus by David Lindsay. This is probably the fourth or fifth time I've read it; though this time it is from a brand new trade edition as the yellowed pages were falling out of my my earlier paperback.
This time through, the above book isn't a page turner; I'm only about two thirds through it.
I just finished Angie Sage's My Haunted House and have started the second book in this Araminta Spookie Series, The Sword in the Grotto. These are for the younger set of readers and are a lot of fun. Araminta or 'Minty' as her Uncle Drac calls her, is outspoken, lives in a haunted house with her bat loving Uncle, her Aunt Tabitha and in the first book goes 'Ghost hunting' through her many roomed house while plotting to keep her Aunt from selling the house and moving them all into an apartment.
Tonight I'll start reading Frognapped, book three in the Araminta Spookie series by Angie Sage.
I'm a few pages into both Uncle Tom's Cabin and the Last of the Mohicans right now. Both are required. The Last of the Mohicans seems alright, although it is written in that early-novel over-descriptive style tha seems to be more concerned with the color of a lamp shade than the personality or actions of the characters. Uncle Tom's cabin is just another one of those "transmit a message with some hypothetical story that I'm a genius for contiriving" books.
I hate being my age.
I don't remember if and when I read Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe though I know the story and remember seeing an "Our Gang" movie where the kids put on the play. I read most of James Fenimore Cooper's adventure books about Hawkeye/Natty Bumpo when I was a teenager and young adult. I usually skipped over all the hero's introspection (self-analysis), but the stories were excellent.
I'm reading for the second or third time Edgar Rice Burroughs's Pelucidar (1915), the second of his 'At the Earth's Core' adventure series.
  << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] >>