Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: I'm currently reading

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Books > I'm currently reading   << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] >>
I've been considering going back and rereading the Boxcar Children series. Boy, I used to get shivers up and down my spine from them!

Haha, but actually, I'm trying to plod my way through Beowulf, which turns out to be somewhat hard to understand. All those pronouns and things make it so horrible ambiguous, and I'm still trying to get the genealogy right...
I'm considering reading again the first of theDragon Lance Saga. I've got the first three volumes in one book and it may be a bit heavy (like in weight/mass) for bedtime reading. It is over three inches thick and my thumbs are already sore.
The Deverry series by Katherine Kerr - very good series - on book 3 at the moment.

i Daggerspell
ii Darkspell
iii Dawnspell
iv Dragonspell

Quote:
Haha, but actually, I'm trying to plod my way through Beowulf, which turns out to be somewhat hard to understand. All those pronouns and things make it so horrible ambiguous, and I'm still trying to get the genealogy right...

I actually had to put this down for while - but it won't beat me.......
Again I read ISFOLKET a family saga that take place in 1500 and continues on to 1960 ..It contains wizards , love stories..drama..sorrow ..and there are 47 books ..I love it ..it's like meeting my long lost relatives again ..
Having finished the Annotated Dragon Lance Trilogy the first in the saga by Margret Weis and Tracy Hickman, I am now reading The Templar Legacy by Steve Berry, which is a mystery fiction novel about the still (?) lost treasure of the Templar's and the machinations of those hunting for it and those determined not to have it found. So far lots of bodies a midst the three groups involved in this mysterious treasure hunt. If you liked The de Vinci Code. you might like this one.

I started it last night and I'm only 100 pages into it and found it a page turner; but as I have missed too much sleep lately, I dozed off Fast Asleep Smilie before I could read the remaining 4/5 of the book. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
I just finished a pair of books that are better than the The de Vinci Code: They were by Steve Berry and are The Templar Legacy and The Alexandria Link. They are about a U.S. "Gummint"* agent who retired to Copenhagen and owns a used book store there. His lawyer ex-wife lives Atlanta with their fifteen year old son. In the first book he gets involved in the treasure hunt for the Templar's hidden treasure and finds more than he expected. In the second he gets involved with the search for the lost volumes from the Library of Alexandra and finds major political/religious intrigue. These were both barn burners (page turners) and I am now considering looking for some of the authors earlier books.

*"Gummint" comes from the late Molly Ivins, one of my favorite political columnists.
I've Just finished a book I thought I had read a few years back but hadn't. It is Mr. Campion's Farthing by Margery Allingham and her husmand Youngman Carter. It has been sitting on my shelf for close to a decade and I must have thought I'd read it though when I picked it up the other night, I found the paperbacks pages and cover had not been bent as is my want while reading in bed, nor did I remember the story which is about a missing alien and a greedy land developer and Mr. Campion's low key investigation toward bringing peace, harmony, and justice to prevail.

Now I must find something else to read tonight, whether previously read or not; maybe some more Kipling, Tenneson, Mallory, McCaffrey, or Pratchett.
So I finally decided to read once again Murder on Astor Place a Gaslight Mystery by Victoria Thompson. It is about a turn-of-the-last-century New York City midwife who with the help of a not so corrupt for the time NYC Police Sergeant, tries to solve the murder of a young not yet society debutant.
Making Money, Terry Pratchett's newest addition to his Diskworld Novels. So far it is about Venturie offering the Postmaster an offer he can't refuse: to become the head of the Ankh-Morepork Bank and Mint, where his previous experiance as a thief and con-man can turn the failing bank around just as he did with the Post Office.
Volume 2 of my four volume leather-bound edition of Sir Thomas Malory's Le Morte D'Arthur.
In the above volume I had been reading about the adventures of Sir Gareth and now I am reading about those of Sir Tristram who is the male half of a famous romantic tragedy.
"When a Girl is Born" by Pamela Grant. A book about when a Chinese girl is born and the life she goes through as a young teenage wife! Great book Tongue Smilie
Thye didn't have Le Morte d'Arthur in my school library, I was upset. That was when I began Cat's Cradle as an alternative(VERY alternative). I read parts of Beowulf in my Literature class last year, and I refuse to read it entirely until the movie-craze subsides. At this point, those of you who are not concerned with my philosophical point of view should go do something productive or amusing. But don't you dare mingle them!
I refuse to watch the new Beowulf movie because it looks like an attempt at making money by using a new filming technique to mutilate a classic story into something that contemporary humans, a most dreadful lot, can relate to. Also, I took note of the actors, and decided that they have never been in any movies that I have considered good. I should probably watch the film before I judge it so cynically, but I am beginning to bitterly hate the mainstream film industry.
I am also upset becuase we are watching the film of Moby-Dick in my Literature class. Not that I particularly want to read the book, I just believe that we should study a work in its original context to more directly replicate the impression of the readers that originally established the book's reputation. The screen play was written by Ray Bradbury, who, although he studied the book extensively, can not possibly transcribe the effect of a nineteenth century novel onto a twentieth century screen without some kind of alteration. Then the teacher digressed into a speech about phallic humor and architecture; an example of which may be found in Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut, which I read when I couldn't find a free copy of Le Morte d'Arthur. Now I have brought my post full-circle.
I have had a copy of Moby Dick at my bedside for about ten years. I've tried to read it three times since high school, but have never succeeded in reading more than the first third of it each time. I always get hung up on the nineteenth century self-analysis.

RE: the Moby Dick movies: I thought the one with Gregory Peck in 1956 was quite good, but not the one with Patrick Stewart in 1998.
I'm still slowly moving through The Brothers of Gwenyth(sp?)by Edith Pargeter. I don't get enough time to read these days.
Our English 2 PAP class just finished Jane Eyre (it was defenitly one of the most boring an uinteresting books I have ever read. That award goes to...... I can't remember the name right now)
I'm now reading The Elusive Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy. It is the sequel to The Scarlet Pimpernel.
Last night in bed I downloaded on my Kindle, Tom Brokaw's new book BOOM! Voices of the Sixties: Personal reflections on the 60s and today about the American Sixties and how the Baby Boomers back then changed their's and our world. Both Tom and I are pre-boomers both having been born in 1940 and having lived as adults through that turbulent time. He did cheat a bit and wrote his book mainly covering the period from JFK's assassination in 1963 through Nixon's resignation in 1974.
I'm reading Vanity Fair O Vanity Fair....
At the moment I'm reading Chinese for Dummies, and I tell you the plot is intriguing Orc Smiling Smilie

Learning Mandarin is challenging, but keeps me occupied Elf Sticking Tounge Out Smilie
Quote:
Our English 2 PAP class just finished Jane Eyre (it was defenitly one of the most boring an uinteresting books I have ever read. That award goes to...... I can't remember the name right now)

My friends and I all loathe that book, errr, males at least. One of my friends was going to burn it, but he just can't stand the thought of burning a book. Too Nazi-ish. I hate it with a passion. My particular complaint is how Bronte would stop the story, address me ever so personally with the title of "reader" and try to invoke my sympathy for her contrived character. As a fictional character, everything that Jane suffered in the novel was inflicted upon her by the writer. What a terrible person this Charlotte Bronte must have been to do so many horrible things to someone in her mind!
Then I noticed that one of my friends,a female, was reading the book. I asked if I could see it for a moment, my request was gratified, I threw the book across the room, and then found out that she was enjoying the book! I just assumed that everyone hates it as much as it deserves!
Tess of the d'Urbervilles and The Scarlet Letter are horrible as well. All three emit the same, sombre feeling, but Tess and Letter (too lazy to italicize) are practically the same book in many ways. But who am I to jucge these abdominable novelists? I myself am a terrible writer, without even the basic knowledge of grammatical rules or literary terms. I only speak/ write one language, and I can't develop an original plot to save my life...oh, right...what's that? Stop ranting? Oh...Okay.
Quote:
That award goes to...... I can't remember the name right now)

I remebered the book's name, it was M.C. Higgins the Great. I hate that book with a passion!! So Angry Smilie We had to read it in 8th grade, and I am suprised that nobody actually burned it. Shocked Smilie
If you have not read this book, then don't! I mean never in your life should you even think about reading it. And if you have read it, I feel your pain...... Shaking Head Smilie
Tonight I will start reading Neil Gaiman's Stardust.
I finished Stardust and found it to be a very good story, sort of the same flavor as Tolkien's Smith of Wootton Major.

Now I have to find something else to read; possibly a second reading of one of Robert van Gulik's Chinese mysteries about Judge Dee or another one of Margery Allingham's about Albert Campion.
I have just about finished Robert Van Gulik's Judge Dee Mystery Murder in Canton for the second time. It is as good as the first time and that reading has been so long ago that I don't remember 'who-dunit'. Elf Winking Smilie
right now, i'm reading "attila - the gathering of the storm" part 2 of the attila series by william napier. am a more recent fan of such historic fiction as well as my usual taste in horror & fantasy.
Now I am again reading Dorothy Sayers' Whose Body probably the first in the Lord Peter Wimsey series of English murder mysteries. I haven't read them for at least ten years and decided to do so again. IMHO, they are ever so much better than Agatha Christie's Hercule Pierrot and Miss Marple series.
Today I'm reading Powers That Be, ny Anne McCaffrey and Elizabeth Ann Scarborough. It is a SciFi novel that takes place on an Alaskan type terraformed planet. It has a 1993 copyright date. I'm reading it on my new Amazon Kindle which I gave myself for Christmas.
While we were gone I read the final two volumes in Anne McCarrfy's Petatbee (Powers That Be) series.

Also the five volumes of Tony DiTerlizzi and Holly Black's The Spiderwick Chronicles and their first volume of their yet to be finished three volume Beyond the Spiderwick Chronicles. These books are quite fun and are probably best for pre-teens and the young at heart. They are about three siblings who can see the faeries and other fantasy beings who live in their neighborhood, many of whom want the children's great-great-uncle Arthur Spiderwick's Field Guide to the Fantastical World Around You returned to them.
I am now reading Jeff Shaara's The Rising Tide a Novel of World War II that covers the operations in North Africa from the planning of the allies invasion there through the invasions of Sicily and Salerno.

Added later: The author follows the same excellent technique his father used in writing The Killer Angels about the Battle of Gettysburg (July 1863) and he himself used in writing both the prequel Gods and Generals and sequel The Last Full Measure to his father's book. The book is well written and easy to follow, it jumps around back and forth among Eisenhower, Patton, Montgomery, Rommel, a American tank Sargent, and an American paratrooper Sargent.
Now I'm reading Wendy and Richard Pini's Hardcover Graphic Novels, ElfQuest Archives: Volumes One, Two, and Three. I believe my previous encounter with this series was in the eighties or early ninties in either Dragon or Dungeon magazine; long after the ElfQuest comic books had appeared in the seventies.
Our English 2 PAP class now started reading Anigone, the classic tragedy.
You're reading Antigone? We're due to start that sometime later this semeseter. Right now we're doing Oedipus Rex Smile Smilie The whole semester is devoted to drama, it seems...

But right now I'm also reading The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. It's for another class I'm taking, but I've always wanted to read it because I've heard so much about it. It is soooo good!
I've finished the Handmaid's Tale by now. It made me feel genuinely sick at times, but I guess that's just how good Atwood is.

Now I'm beginning Sophie's World by Jostein Gaardner. I'm not planning on taking any philosophy courses, so I might as well just get the basics of philosphy straight so I can carry on a normal conversation with someone. Smile Smilie
I've finished the three ElfQuest volumes and now have to decide what to read next.
The Weird of the White Wolf, by Michael Moorcock.
I'm currently reading The Crimes of Jack the Ripper by Paul Roland and Into a Dark Realm by Raymond Feist.
While in bed last night, I ordered Coraline (not caroline) via my AmazonKindle and was reading it within a couple minutes. It is by Neal Gaiman and is about a young girl who lives in a big old house with a door into a mirror universe, except that universe is more dark than the one Alice visited.
I just finished Terry Pratchett's Johnny and the Dead about how he tries to save the local cemetary from being bulldozed to make way for an office complex.

So now I'm reading Wendy and Richard Pini's Hardcover Graphic Novel, ElfQuest Archives: Volume Four.

Peter Hopkin's thick tome, The Great Game about the great empirical powers' secret spying explorations of Central Asia over the last two and a half centuries. This included Russia and Napoleonic France trying to march armies to conquer India; and Britain trying to find defensive positions towards stopping their advances.

edit: Previously I assigned the author's first name as Harry, which never would have fooled his parents even if it had done me.
Still reading Peter Hopkin's thick tome, The Great Game. I'm about 3/4 through it and into the 1870s now.
Still got about ten pages to go in the above The Great Game. When I finish that I'll probably read either Madeleine Albright's Memo to the President Elect: How We Can Restore America's Reputation and Leadership or Neil Gaiman's Anansi Boys, or maybe alternating between both of them.
I decided on Neil Gaiman's Anansi Boys, which turned out to be another page turner for me: I started reading it at 1 am and read half of it before I dropped the book three times. Needless to say, I didn't wake up until 11 this morning. That's the problem with good books, they are hard to put down.
A second night finished the above Anansi Boys and now I am reading Madeleine Albright's Memo to the President Elect: How We Can Restore America's Reputation and Leadership.
Has anyone read Baltimore, or, the Steadfast Tin Soldier and the Vampire? I've seen in some stores and am enticed by the oddness of the title, which seems to promise a unique story.
I'm reading, among other things, Green Rider by Kristen Britain and I find it enjoyable, but not amazing.
No Ar-Edain, I haven't seen or read either of those books.

I'm still wading through Madeleine Albright's Memo to the President Elect: How We Can Restore America's Reputation and Leadership. It isn't hard to read and she makes perfect sense, but this book isn't a page turner: I'm only about half-way through it. Compare that with I read HP and the Deathly Hallowss in two nights. Now that was a page turner or as I sometimes say 'a barn burner' where I race through it like a house-a-fire.
I'm currently reading Pride and Prejudice for the third time. I also recently read House by Frank Peretti, which was creepy. His book The Oath was cool too. For anybody who likes history or buried treasure, The Gold of Exodus was a good read, plus the whole story really happened back in the eighties...I really need to reread the HP series and I'm impatiently waiting for the last installment of Paolini's Inheritance trilogy. A Separate Peace is a good choice for a deeper read...
I am again reading (probably for the third time) Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. I just love this story of how the Apocalypse goes awry and how rather than either the angels or the demons being the winners at the world's ending, instead the humans win with the help of an eleven year old boy.

Also in this story, the four horsemen of the Apocalypse ride motorcycles and are: War (a vivacious woman arms dealer), Famine (a dietitian), Pollution (who is racked by disease) and our dear old friend Death (this time not Gaiman's kindly sister of the Endless, but he of Pratchett's creation who speaks in all capital letters). I still am finding it a fun and thought provoking read.
I'm about half way through Elantris and really enjoying it so far... I'm very curious to see how it all ends up. I love it when a book keeps me guessing what's going to happen next. After that I'm going to start the wheel of time series (hopefully the last book will be finished by the time I get there).

Something I've read recently and would definitely recommend is The Gift by Alison Croggon - it's the first of a trilogy with a great story; and it's very well written.
Tonight I think I am going to start reading for the second time Magyk, book one of the Septimus Heap Trilogy by Angie Sage. The first time I raced through it to find out what happened next; this time I'll take it more slowly so I can retain more of the story. Read Smilie
  << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] >>