Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: I'm currently reading

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Books > I'm currently reading   << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] >>
If you want to read something original, try picking up Jacqueline Carey's 'Kushiel' trilogy. Most interesting & meaningful books I've read in over two years.

I'm reading James Clemens atm, and it's clichéd sword & sorcery but as long as it's entertaining...
I'm now reading Rage of a Demon King the third book in Raymond E. Feist's Serpent War Saga. Okay, it isn't literature and it feels like warmed over plot that was presented before; but it is pure escapism and it doesn't put me to sleep or cause me to stop and contemplate how it applies to the current world situation. I'll finish reading the series—at $6 a book on my Kindle 2, the price is right.
I have finished Shards of a Broken Crown the fourth book in Raymond E Fiest's Serpant War Saga.

I an now reading Elizabeth Peter's Tomb of the Golden Bird, the eighteenth book in her Amelia Peabody archeological murder adventure series. This may be the last one, for in it Howard Carter and Lord Carnarvon "discover" the greatest Egyptian treasure of all time: King Tut's tomb, while the Emerson's sit(?) on the sidelines. Peters said long ago that the series will end with the finding of Tut's tomb. We fans can only wait and see, having endured Amelia's marriage to Emerson, the birth and development of their precocious son Ramses, his marriage to Nefert, and the birth and early childhood of their twins, all while discovering uncounted bodies contemporary amongst all those ancient ones buried in Egypt's Valley of the Kings.
I've finished reading Shardik and am glad I decided to look into it again. When I first read it twenty years ago I missed a lot; i think I was looking for it to be lighter fare like Watership Down. It's quite a deep book with threads of spirituality, sin, forgiveness and redemption. I very much like the main character, Kelderek. Adams does a very good job of creating a fictional world, the Beklan Empire, and, although it isn't as detailed as Middle Earth, it feels very believable and the characters are very engaging. I'm going to continue by reading Maia which has the same setting but appears to take place at an earlier time.
Last night I started a reread of Dorthy L. Sayers' Clouds of Witness which I last read back in the seventies.
im part way through a reread of LOTR just finished fellowship and am stuck in history of scotland which is interesting but heavy going
Quote:
am stuck in history of scotland
Find yourself Professor Peabody's Way-back Machine and use that to return back home. Being stuck of in any of histories time-frames other than one's own can be quite discombobulating. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
that would be handy the sixteenth centuary just dosent feel like home Tongue Smilie
I am currently reading Mistborn: The Final Empire, which is the first novel of Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy. I believe it is Sanderson who is finishing Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. So far it has my interest; though in the hardback version it is a huge book with tiny print: might be at least a million words, if not two or three. How does one know?
I'm reading Banewreaker by Jacqueline Carey. It is epic fantasy but unique as it is completely written from the losers'/bad guys' point of view.
Well, I finished Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn: The Final Empire, which is the first novel of his Mistborn trilogy at 6:30 this morning. It turned out to be a 'barn burner', with nothing stolen from Tolkien. Happy Elf Smilie

I now estimate it to be about 257500 words @ 537 pages, 40 lines per page, and 12 words per line. Like I said, very small print in a hardback book. Read Smilie

I will read the next one when I can find it. I got this one from my foot doctor whose reading interests are similar to mine; so we trade books that we like.
Last night, for my second time through it, I started reading Angie Sage's Magyk the first book in her Septimus Heap Quadrilogy, soon to be Quintilogy in Sepember.
I have started reading Iain Pears' Giotto's Hand one of the books in his 'Art History Mysteries' which are usually set in modern Rome and England with an Italian police woman and a male English would-be art dealer who search for stolen masterpieces. I haven't yet decided whether I have read this one sometime in the last twenty years, back when I read the first two in the series.
I found I had read Iain Pears' Giotto's Hand some time in the past; however I forgot whodunit, so I finished reading it anyway.

Now I am reading for the second time, Angie Sages Flyte, the second book in her Septimus Heap series. Septimus is the seventh son of a seventh son and is a 10/11 year old apprentice wizard. Unlike the Harry Potter series, this one takes place in a pre-industrial world where magic is normal and the magic makers all have green eyes.
Sounds a lot like Orson Scott Cards Alvin maker series, Alvin is also the seventh son of a seventh son in the middle of the industrial period, in a slightly altered America.
Magic is still rare but everyone is born a special gift or "knack" many of which are close to magical, like being able to find water anywhere, and others are plain but interesting, like being able to draw a perfectly straight line.
Alvin seems to be extra special though and is able to manipulate atoms and well as "suggest" things to animals or send his "doodlebug" out to investigate things.
Last night I started reading The Sorcerer of the North Book Five in John Flanagan's Ranger's Apprentice series.

I also started listening to the unabridged tape recordings of Roy Dotrice reading Book One of George R. R. Martin's A Game of Thrones: A Song of Ice and Fire. However, I will have to listen to it all over again, for I fell asleep soon after starting the tape deck and haven't even the foggiest notion of what I heard. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
Someone actually gave the A Song of Ice and Fire a few years back, but I haven't touched it yet. I don't quite know why. Just put it on my shelf and forgot about it, I guess.

I've just finished Gods Behaving Badly by Marie Phillips. It was a pretty light read. Funny, too!
I think that tonight I will start reading Stephenie Meyer's New Moon, the second book in her 'Twilight' Saga, which takes place on the other side of the Olympic Mountains to the west of me.
Well, New Moon was alright and was almost hard to put down, but it didn't keep me awake enough such that after I dropped it three times each night...er morning...I turned out the light. This happened two or three nights. I always got in more than a hour reading each night though.

Anyway, I probably won't bother with the next books in the series as I don't feel any ownership of the characters. I consider they are all selfishly too self-centered. I no longer care what happens to any of them, except possibly for Jacob, Bella's sometimes friend and also for Charlie, her father.

I certainly won't watch the movie, the trailer for which I recently saw in the theatre.
Stupid book, I couldn't put it down and finished it a little after six this morning. It being Death and Restoration by Iain Pears. A real page turner imho.

Now I have to find something to read tonight, something I have read before so I don't make it another all nighter. Perhaps Angie Sage's Physik, the third book in her Septimus Heap series.
I read the first A Song of Ice and Fire book, but it didn't quite suit my taste. I liked parts of it, but I thought it was a little bit of a let down after hearing such good things about it. I haven't opened a novel in several weeks, which, apart from being intellectually unhealthy, is completely uncharacteristic of me. I think I'm going through a mild form of withdrawal. The time has come for me to trot off to someplace quiet, sit down, introduce my mind to foreign substance, and drift off for a fix.

Don't worry, the "foreign substance" is in the form of written text, so I won't be on the local news come tomorrow evening. Unless, of course, I find an opportunity that demonstrates a bit more individuality...
I have been trying to listen to A Game of Thrones, the first book in the above A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin; where it is read unabridged by Roy Dotrice.

So far I have listened to the first tape four or five times and every single time have fallen asleep before the end of the prologue. Thus I haven't any idea what the story entails; and surely not enough to even try the second tape. Maybe I should just buy the book, or else get a tape deck near my computer so I could listen in the daytime instead of just at bedtime. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
Last night I started reading the sixth book in 'The Ranger's Apprentice' series by John Flanagan. It is entitled The Siege of Macindaw,

On my Amazon Kindle I am slowly reading, like in waiting rooms or waiting for a taxi, Bob Garfield's The Chaos Scenario which is about the sea-change that is currently occurring with mass media and advertising. Bab Garfield is co-host of NPR's weekly broadcast of On the Media.
I enjoyed A Game of Thrones earlier this year and, while it had a bit of a slow start, it was pretty good later. Haven't moved on the the second book in the series yet, though.

Started a re-read of the Silmarillion but got distracted when I found an old copy of LittleWomen like the one I had growing up. Have to admit that the recent movie of the classic with Winona Ryder is even better than the book. Now back to the Sil and plan to go on to the Trilogy afterward. We'll see if I get distracted again Smile Smilie
I'm now about 160 pages into Stephenie Meyer's novel The Host. I think I'm enjoying it even more than her Twilight and New Moon as I seem to care about the characters in this book, whereas I didn't give a rusty nail for them in the first two books in the Twilight series. I doubt if I'll read the rest of the series or watch either of the two movies.

I found The Host lying on the floor next to my bed sans bookmark, when I woke up this morning. So in order to place a bookmark in it where I had been reading when I fell asleep and had dropped it, I read another chapter and got up at 10:30 instead of at 10 when I awoke. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
I'm reading The Secret Garden for the upteenth time! I simply love that book! Elk Grinning Smilie
I finished Stephenie Meyer's novel The Host, which I thought a very good alien parasite book and I appreciated the ending.

I am now reading for the second time, after a hiatus of about twenty years, the first volume in Ellis Peters' Brother Cadfael series, entitled, A Morbid Taste for Bones. Read Smilie
I'm currently reading a French grammar workbook that's making no g****mn sense whatsoever. Also,
Boule de Suif by Maupassant.
Think tonight I'll start reading John Le Carré's Call for the Dead.
well, I can't quite say I am reading something, for I finished this morning the novel by Agatha Christie 'Elephants can remember.' It flagged a little in some ways, but the woman Mrs. Aridane Oliver was terribly interesting and I enjoyed the ambience of her home and like Poirot the way she thought and spoke. So all in all I feel it was tres bon.
I read that book by Dame Agatha ever so long ago and no longer remember its plot. I have three shelves full of all her murder mysteries. I still remember yelling at her after finding out whodunit in Who Killed Roger Ackroyd? I've always felt she cheated with that story.

{b]I'm now reading the second novel in Edith Pargeter's aka: Ellis Peters' Brother Cadfael series, entitled One Corpse Too Many.
I've tried reading some of George RR Martin's first book in his "saga" but it's some of the worst fantasy I've ever read...he uses Robert Jordan's long-winded writing style but deliberately includes almost gratuitous violence, vulgar language & scenes to make it shocking. Also there's the constant swapping from one character plot line to another which I hate, especially since the characters are all extremely unlikable.

Not my cup of tea.

I bought the digitized first two books of George R Martin's The Game of Thrones on my Amazon Kindle 2. I will try reading them sometime in the future when I don't find anything else that suits my fancy.
Well I did get distracted again. the old movie, How Green was My Valley was on TV and I thought I'd read the book again as its been quite a few years. Its an old favorite and I like the way the characters talk..
Last night I finished Suzanne Collins' The Hunger Games. I liked the book, but didn't like its premise. In a post Apocalyptic America, once a year two teenage lottery winners(?) a boy and a girl, from each of the twelve losing civil war rebel territories, were forced to fight to the death in a wilderness area, that was televised live 24/7. The people in those losing territories were kept on very short rations in order to control them; thus the "hunger" of the title. From the ending, it appears a sequel is planned to continue the story from after the winner(?) arrived back home.

Tonight I will probably start the third book In Ellis Peter's Brother Cadfael Chronicles, Monks Hood.
I'm reading Pride and Prejudice!
You poor man!

Quote:
I've tried reading some of George RR Martin's first book in his "saga" but it's some of the worst fantasy I've ever read...he uses Robert Jordan's long-winded writing style but deliberately includes almost gratuitous violence, vulgar language & scenes to make it shocking. Also there's the constant swapping from one character plot line to another which I hate, especially since the characters are all extremely unlikable.

Not my cup of tea.

That, more or less, sums up how I feel about the book. I agree that it was similar to Robert Jordan, that much of it was just meant to be shocking, and most of the characters are not likable.

I believe it is a trend in modern literature to have novels were the characters are not too good. Unfortunately, I am old-fashioned, and, as the entire point of a fantasy novel is to abandon the confines of reality, I prefer characters who are just a little bit better than I am. It is very difficult for me to sympathize with someone who either deserves the hardship that he is receiving, or who is not trying to accomplish anything worth braving the hardship for. I blame J.D. Salinger, personally. His classic book, more than any other work of art, pushed the angst right out of my teenage mind.

Mr. Salinger, if, perchance, your reclusive self ever stumbles on this post, assuming that you are aware of the internet, I would like you to know that I think that YOU are a PHONY!

Of course, I am currently reading

Perelandra by C.S. Lewis, so I am feeling very preachy and lofty. (I do not why, but I was forced to type on this line prematurely when I used italics.)
The protagonist of this novel is definitely worth supporting, and his cause is of great importance, even if the plot does move a bit slowly. I also like that there are only three primary characters, but, having read Out of the Silent Planet, I do miss the hrossa.
Quote:
...having read Out of the Silent Planet, I do miss the hrossa.

I thought the hrossa were quite nice too, and I did enjoy the Scottish skeptic in That Hideous Strength, though I thought Merlin in that, the third volume of CS Lewis's Space Trilogy was bigger than life.

Tonight I intent to start John Le Carré's The Secret Pilgrim.
Now I'm reading Ellis Peter's fourth entry in her Brother Cadfael series: St. Peter's Fair.
Having finished the above book and not having another by a different author handy, I went ahead and read Ellis Peter's fifth volume in her Brother Cadfael series: The Leper of Saint Giles, which I finished last night.

Tonight I intend to start reading Brandon Sanderson's Elantris.
Well I finished that book and read Ellis Peter's sixth volume in her Brother Cadfael series: The Virgin in the Ice.

Haven't decided on what to start next, possibly one of Fritz Leiber's 'Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser' series. Read Smilie
Well, instead I decided to read for the second time, Angie Sage's Queste, the fourth book in her Septimus Heap series. In this one Septimus, Princess Jenna, and their friend Beetle go on a quest in search for Septimus's brother, Nicko and his friend Snorri, the lady northern trader, who were marooned in time.
I'm still reading Perelandra! I am almost done, and I have read a few Star Wars fan-fiction comic books in the meantime (Star Wars spin-offs are a guilty pleasure of mine).
I think that between classes, sleeping, playing drums (in a band), and unenthusiastically job-hunting I'm keeping rather busy.
Now reading, for the umpteenth time, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy by the late Douglas Adams.
And now I'm reading Bob Garfield's The Chaos Scenario that predicts the end of the mass media/mass marketing era, the rise of Listenomics and the post-advertising age, and the period...due to digital media. Here is a YouTube link where he gives a brief graphix spiel about the subject.

Tonight I intend to start reading the fifth book in Angie Sage's Septimus Heap series, Syren, in which our Magykal hero, his friends, and his large pet have another adventure, this time stranded on a mysterious isle.
Along with the necessary articles and books ive had to read for uni im reading wildwoods ( cant currently remember the author) and soul music by Terry Pratchett which is very good fun
Was your book Wildwoods possibly by Roger Deakin, Simon James, or was it some other author?

Most any book by Terry Pratchett is quite funny. One of my favorites is Monstrous Regiment. It is about a young woman who joins the army in order to search for her brother who has gone missing in action. Of course in her country, women belong in the kitchen, not in the army; so she had to cut off her beautiful long tresses so she could pass as a man and someone surreptitiously gave her an extra pair of socks to fill out her uniform. Her fat Sargent was one heck of a man.
I wants to read The Coming Storm. Orc Sad Smilie
Yes thats who it was thanks Smile Smilie i can never remember authors names, Ive only read a few of Terry Pratchetts books and yes they are usually really funny , i havn't read monstrous regiment though I think my dad might have it as it sounds familar (and good) - so thats another thing to put on my "free time" reading list
  << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] >>