Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: I'm currently reading

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Books > I'm currently reading   << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12]
I am again reading A Giant Problem, Book Two in Holly Black's 'Beyond the Spiderwick Chronicles', in preparation for Book Three, The Wyrm King.

I am also intermittently reading on my Amazon Kindle 2 The Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin. I decided to read it, because when I tried listening to it via an audio book, I kept falling asleep and missed a lot of the story. I am not currently reading it every day, but may do so when I run out of other more interesting things to read. Book 2, A Clash of Kings also came with Book 1 The Game of Thrones on my Kindle 2, which I may also read someday if i haven't anything better to read.
I bought The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman and The Final Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen Donaldson yesterday - i read the graveyard book last night and loved it , a really good book more suited to halloween than bonfire night though
I also enjoyed his The Graveyard Book. They are making or have made a movie version of it; though I haven't seen it yet. You also might like Neil Gaiman's Coraline (not Caroline).

Last night I started Brandon Sanderson's second book in his 'Mistborn' trilogy, The Well of Ascension, another 700 plus page paperback.
Still reading he Well of Ascension, though next in line is the new Terry Pratchett novel, Unseen Academicals.
Hokay, a couple nights ago I started the new novel by Sir Terence David John (Terry) Pratchett, OBE entitled: Unseen Academicals. (He received his OBE in 1998 and his knighthood this past summer, which I hadn't realized until I read the dust jacket on this novel.)
So far this Unseen Academicals isn't a barn burner: I'm having a hard time staying with it, often putting it away before my one hour minimum bedtime reading time is over. Problem is, it is starting out in U Uni with their politics and some new characters I can't yet relate to, so I don't really care what happens next. And being typical Terry P, there aren't convenient stopping points, like chapter endings. So in this book rather than saying 'Just one more chapter,' I have found myself looking for a chapter ending so I could quit reading for the night, and having not found one, I quit right there. Perhaps it is because U Uni is in the process of fielding a futball/soccer team and I find that sport more frustrating than exciting.

Maybe the book will become more exciting when I again take it up tonight.
Okay, I've now invested in the four new characters in the above book and it is getting better. Happy Elf Smilie
While not one of my favorite Diskworld novels, Terry Pratchett's Unseen Academicals was still funny and worth the read; and has possibilities for the further adventures of these protagonists, if the author's mind lasts that long, though I'd rather have more tales of the City Watch.

Now I am reading John le Carré's A Perfect Spy.
Apparently we only read Tolkien around here? Happy Elf Smilie

I just finished reading Pride and Prejudice for the first time (loved it, especially the sarcastic Mr. Bennet). I hope to obtain a copy of Pride, Prejudice, and Zombies sometime soon.

Sometime in the next couple days I will be starting Yasunari Kawabata's Beauty and Sadness for my Japanese literature class. Not a clue what to expect from it, but I'll try to remember to post again once I've finished it.
Just finished Ramayana. Guys that is one heck of a book. The love and the concept of one for the other. Mein Gott!! What wouldn't I give to have it. Try it and maybe The Mahabharata after it. That is another great history like that of Tolkien's. Trust me. I have currently taken up The Silmarillion after much deliberation on whether or not to take Pride and Prejudice (No offence meant Eva). But the pair of Beren and Luthien drew me far better than the Darcys did. (impish grin)
I'm finally reading the newest Wheel of Time offering, The Gathering Storm by the late Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson. it is such a thick tome, that my arms get tired holding it up.
Grondy have you read any of the 'Master and Commander' books by Patrick O'Brian? The movie with Russel Crow in it is on today and it's so good I wondered how the books were...
I am currently reading 'Last of the Gaderene' by Mark Gatiss. IMO; Gatiss's books are better than any of his TV related stuff.
No Sian, I've never got around to reading Obrian's Navel Napoleonic War saga; I have only read all of CS Forster's Horatio Hornblower navel series from the same war.

Having finally finished the above, The Gathering Storm, I am now reading The Hero of Ages, the third and final(?) volume of Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series where they swallow and burn metals for enhanced physical/mental powers.
And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie.
sends chills down my spine. ah, i'm so faint of heart....
I believe the above Agatha Christie mystery has also been issued in the USA under the title Ten Little Indians. It is a rather scary story, having people drop dead all around you and having little clue as to whom will be next or why.
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. My second read-through. I read it the first time many years ago in 7th grade, and highly recommend it to everybody.
@Grondy:Ten Little Indians is a good story yet i never get as excited in Agatha Christies as i do when reading Mr. Holmes.

I am re-reading One Hundred Years Of Solitude along with the Silmarillion.I completely am in love with Marquez.But Kafka too.
I am currently reading Decision at Doona by Anne McCaffrey.
Now I am reading R. A. Salvatore's The Thousand Orcs: The Hunter's Blade Trilogy Book I starring the reformed Dark Elf, Drizzt Do'Urden.
I am currently reading to my kids Heir of Sea and Fire, Second Volume in the Quest of the Riddlemaster Trilogy, by Patricia McKillip. They are enjoying it immensely.

Gandalf
I am reading a Murakami.Psychedelic
I've only read one Murakami book, the Wind-up Bird Chronicle, and it was very, very funky indeed. I loved it, and look forward to reading more,but only after I'm finished with the current volume on my desk: Jerrold E Marsden and Anthony J Tromba's Vector Calculus, 5th ed.

I finished reading American Gods by Neil Gaiman. I liked it alot. Now I'm reading Trainspotting by Irvine Welsh. I'm from the United States, so it is a little difficult to discern the thick Scottish accent it's written in, but I think I'm getting the hang of it. Anyway, the book is about a group of heroine addicts in Edinburgh, and I wouldn't recommend it to younger readers. I also wouldn't recommend it to the squeamish, as parts of it are absolutely disgusting. Think toilet humor, but without the humor. The author also implied that he has some strong David Bowie fandom, which I find somewhat offensive.

I am currently reading The Great Gatsby for my English class. I like it well enough. For those of you who have not read it, it's set in the 1920's and is about some moderately wealthy people who love each other... so far...

I'm reading Istanbul by Orhan Pamuk.A tad depressing but really enlightening,albeit along with my retinue of college reference books.

I'm currently re-reading "the" masterpiece The Lord of the Rings & Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, well actually re-reading the entire series.

<< [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12]