Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Your reccomendations

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Books > Your reccomendations   
Has anyone got any good recomendations for books to read.... i really enjoyed lotr, the legend by david gemmel and the sovereign stone trillogy/

i know its cheating a bit , cos you had to do it all the hard way. but i'm on limited resourses.

thanx
Ever read R. A. Salvatore?
I'm sure some of the others have heard it alot, but that's one of my favorites authors!

By-the-way: WELCOME TO PT!!!!!!!!

could you tell me what book to start with... i'm just looking th RA Salvatore site, Books:
"The Icewind Dale Trilogy" is the first listed, is this the one to start with..?
thanx
Here's my recommendations :

- the Hobbit, by J.R.R. Tolkien
- the Silmarillion, by J.R.R. Tolkien
- Unfinished Tales, by J.R.R. Tolkien
- The adventures of Tom Bombadil, by J.R.R. Tolkien
- Roverandom, by J.R.R. Tolkien
- Leaf by Niggle, by J.R.R. Tolkien
- Farmer Giles of Ham, by J.R.R. Tolkien
- Smith of Wootton Major, by J.R.R. Tolkien

Enjoy your reading!
a book I lately read and very much enjoyed was three men in a boat by jerome k. jerome. it's somehow weird, but soo funny... and you'll soon have finished it, I think...
Quote:
"The Icewind Dale Trilogy" is the first listed, is this the one to start with..?
Yes, that is the one to start with as far as I'm concerned for that is where I started.

Others will recomend the "Wheel of Time" series, which I have yet to read, but I have an aquaintence who has promised to loan them to me.
I find Katherine Kerr's Deverry series almost on par with LotR. The world is kind of Middle Ages/Celtic, and her writing is very realistic. Through her writing you can feel the mud and cold on her characters and smell the rust on their armour. Being Celtic, the series is also told as a cycle in which the spirits of the main characters are reincarnated through time in a series of mini-stories slotted into the main tale. They have no recollection of their previous pasts, but spirits will recognise each other, so lovers in one life will always feel close to each other later, and enemies will always feel enmity. As the series evolves you realise most of what is going on, is spirits trying to correct a wrong that occurred in the first incarnation.

They can be read as a four book series:- Daggerspell, Darkspell, Dawnspell and Dragonspell but if you get into them the story was continued in another four book series, A time of excile, A time of omens, A time of war, and A time of Justice. Beyond that the story extends into The red Wyvern, The Black Raven and The Fire Dragon. I am still waiting for the final book of the whole series, The Golden Falcon, to be finished. Unfortunately over the past fifthteen years or so that Kerr has been writing these books she has had problems with her publishers that have caused huge delays in some books being written. She was on book five when I first read them and I've been eagerly awaitng the next book each time.... (its now been five years since the Fire Dragon was published and I'm still waiting for the Golden Falcon to find out how it all ends.)
I have the first three of KK books waiting to be read. One day....

If I had to recommend just one book (apart from Tolkien) it would be Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. I can't recall another book (apart from Tolkien) that affected me so deeply.

I agree with Miruvor that the rest of the other Tolkien books would be a good choice, and once you've managed to pull yourself out of ME to read something else, you migh twant to try The Abhorsen trilogy by Garth Nix, The Dark Is Rising Sequence was not bad either.

I realize that what all these suggestions are gonna result in is probably Sarawyn sweeping the library empty, so I'll end my suggestions here. Elk Grinning Smilie
been down the library.... and our local one is Cr*p...!!

couldnt find even a 1/6 th of the books recommended...

think i'll have to go to newcastle library or something...
Quote:
I find Katherine Kerr's Deverry series almost on par with LotR.

I read the Deverry series, and i didn't feel that way at all. I had the impression that if Konsalik would write fantasy, he'd come up with something similar to the Deverry series.

Imo, Guy Gavriel Kay's works are most on par with JRRT's works. After Kay assembled the Silmarillion together with Christopher Tolkien, he wrote the Fionavar Tapestry, which is a Tolkienesqua high fantasy story with both elements of the Arthurian legends and Nordic mythology included. Very interesting. His other works are all standalone books which are usually stories with a slight fantasy touch, based on real periods in human history.

It all depends on what you want in a book. If you want fast paced action (entwined with a slight touch of humour) - read Feist or Jordan. If you want action mingled with (a lot of) humour, read Eddings (but only the Belgariad, as all his other stories are just a recycled version of the Belgariad). If you want to read something similar to LOTR, but lighter - read Brooks.

I'm currently reading the Sword of Truth series by Goodkind, and i find it quite enjoyable and much better than other fantasy books from after 1990. It's of course as predictable as an arm wrestling contest between the Hulk and Captain Crunch, but still there's always a final twist that makes you jump up from your seat.
5 words Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy
I've decided that untill i can find some decent books to read, i'll just go and read lotr again...(just dont get sick of it, its amazing...!!)
Terry Pratchett, Terry Pratchett, Terry Pratchett! Discworld is very, very funny and very, very good. All of them have some humor, but some are all jokes while others are very serious and deep. He is a genius. And if you can find them, they will keep you busy for a long time, because there are a lot of books right now and he is still writing more. If they’re not at the library, I, personally, find almost all of them worth buying (Monstrous Regiment being the main exception), but you’ll probably want to try them first. The humor is subtle and occasionally obscure (at least to me… maybe it’s British, or maybe I’m just too young. I suspect the latter…). It’s fantasy that makes fun of fantasy by taking it seriously, and saying “Ok, what would a barbarian hero who did all this really be like? To do all that, wouldn’t he have to be kind of… old? Heroes get old same as anyone, after all.” (Yes, there is really an old barbarian hero in the series, who first shows up in… I think the fifth book.) This is longer than I meant it to be… I guess I just mean to say this: Anyone who hasn’t ever read or even heard of Terry Pratchett- Go and find The Colour of Magic, read it, and perservere until, oh, Witches Abroad, I think, is the first very deep one, if you find them too light. Mort might help with that…
yea, terry pratchett is really a great author. I mean, I've only read one of his books by now, but I loved it and there are certainly more to follow... his style of writing and his humour are really unique. a very interesting book I read a few weeks ago is the scarlet letter by nathaniel hawthorne, I do recommend it to everyone.
THE COLOR OF MAGIC, THE LIGHT FANTASTIC, EQUAL RITES, MORT, SOURCERY, WYRD SISTERS,PYRAMIDS, GUARDS!GUARDS!,MOVING PICTURES, REAPER MAN, WITCHES ABROAD
, SMALL GODS, LORDS AND LADIES, MEN AT ARMS, SOUL MUSIC, INTERESTING TIMES, MASKERADE, FEET OF CLAY, HOGFATHER, JINGO, THE LAST CONTINENT, CARPE JUGULUM, THE FIFTH ELEPHANT, THE TRUTH, THIEF OF TIME, GOING POSTAL, MONSTROUS REGIMENT.

All very good books, and all Terry Prachett. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie And those are just his "Discworld" series. I have 25 of them, and im just reading the 25 right now!!
There are few words that can describe the Discworld. If you like fantasy, take a bit of Tolkien or any other, and mix it up with some of the very best humour, and the unique part that is Terry Prachett, and youll get The Discworld!!!
Describing the book does it no justice. You MUST read it for yourself to understand it. The characters are great, the plots are breathtaking and the subtle humour in it all is astounding!! Thats all i have to say as a hardcore Discworld fan. Orc With Thumbs Up Smilie Orc Grinning Smilie Elf With a Big Grin Smilie Orc Grinning Smilie
P.S. And there are some really cool maps to help you find your way around.

P.P.S. Oh, and if you do read them, you should read them in the sequence i gave them here. Or just follow the list that is in the back of every Discworld book.
Oh, so the Discworld is actually a series of books, and not the name of a music shop in Inverness. You really learn something new every day.
Aye Miruvor, its a series of books with a more or less conected story line. They really are interesting , and with enough sarcasm and cynicism even for the likes of you! Really! Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
Oh, and did i forget? Loads of laughter!
If we are recommending books, I suppose I should make my recommendation. After I first read LotR, and after I had read Tokien's early works and the Silmarillion when it was first published, I cast about for another fantasy that would satisfy me. You can imagine I was hard to please after all that Tolkien. Still I did find one. The author is Patricia McKillip. The series is the Quest of the Riddlemaster. It is a trilogy: 1) The Riddlemaster of Hed, 2) Heir of Sea and Fire, 3) Harpist in the Wind. They were marvelously written with a great storyline and very intriguing characters. McKillip's finesse with the language is not quite what Tolkien's is, but she came the closest to him of anyone I had read then or have read since. She has written some other books, notably The Forgotten Beasts of Eld, which is also quite good. I hope you can find these and enjoy them.
not sure if i can reccomend a religous studys book,, so feel free to delete this post mods, if u r intrested in religous studies, God: a biography is very good. it talks about the God of the ¿Tank? or some such spelling.
How about George MacDonald?

I've also found Robin McKinley interesting.

I came across some Discworld stuff in a library a few years ago and -- it did look interesting -- I'll have to go back and check it out more closely after seeing the recommendation here.

Part of my problem is that I am realizing I can only hold so many fictional parallel universes in my brain at once; and then my brain likes to connect them all and I come up with weird bridges from one story to another.
It happens to me as well Elanorraine. But i can handle even reading a few books at the same time, and remembering them isnt a problem to me. But yes, the stories do get all mixed up, but thats cool for me, cause i make new stories out of them. That comes in handy when your a DM (Dungeon Master in Dungeons & Dragons) adn runing low on ideas. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
I can also recommend for younger readers, or to read to the young, Lynne Reid Banks' The Indian in the Cupboard series. There are three or four books, all having to do with the magic cupboard and key.
Quote:
THE COLOR OF MAGIC, THE LIGHT FANTASTIC, EQUAL RITES, MORT, SOURCERY, WYRD SISTERS,PYRAMIDS, GUARDS!GUARDS!,MOVING PICTURES, REAPER MAN, WITCHES ABROAD
, SMALL GODS, LORDS AND LADIES, MEN AT ARMS, SOUL MUSIC, INTERESTING TIMES, MASKERADE, FEET OF CLAY, HOGFATHER, JINGO, THE LAST CONTINENT, CARPE JUGULUM, THE FIFTH ELEPHANT, THE TRUTH, THIEF OF TIME, GOING POSTAL, MONSTROUS REGIMENT.

Well, you’re missing at least two, Etharion… Night Watch (my personal favorite, which is why I noticed) and the newest one, Thud!… since the list of Discworld books is so long, you are quite forgiven.
Quote:
The author is Patricia McKillip

Yes, she is a very good author… in addition to the trilogy you mentioned, have you read The Forgotten Beasts of Eld?
Quote:
I've also found Robin McKinley interesting.

Robin Mckinley is also very, very good. She mostly rewrites fairy/folk tales, but in very interesting ways. She also has two original novels and a couple of short story collections that have original stories. My favorite would have to be Outlaws of Sherwood, a retelling of (imagine!) Robin Hood.
Quote:
Lynne Reid Banks' The Indian in the Cupboard series.

Yes, these are also very good, although definitely for a younger audience.
Aye. Ye are right Eva. I just cant find "Eric" or "Night Watch" here. And "Thud" was a bit too expensive for my pocket when i saw it in England. Now im back home in Croatia, and i wont be seeing "Thud" any time soon... if your lucky you can mybe find half a dozen discworld books here, and thats all...
'Green Rider' by Kristen Britain
'Abhorsen' by Garth Nix (or any of the trilogy)
'Into the Land of the Unicorns' or 'Jeremy Thatcher Dragon Hatcher' by Bruce Colville (old favorites)
'Wrinkle in Time' by Madeleine L'Engle
'Peace Like a River' by Leif Enger (not fantasy,but not non-fic either)this is one of my current favorites!
'Ender's Game' by Orson Scott Card (I met him once!!!)
'So You Want to be a Wizard' (any of the series) or 'To See the Queen' by Diane Duane (any of her stuff is good)
'Chrestomancy Chronicles'

Yeah, I was just listing some off to a friend, so these came right to mind. They are all really good, and they are all very different... hope someone enjoys them as much as I did!!
I would definitely have to recommend Janny Wurts' Wars of Light and Shadow series, of which the first book is entitled Curse of the Mistwraith. So far there are seven books out, and all are excellent, though just like the Harry Potter series, once you get to the fourth book, they keep getting better and better.

Another book (if you don't want to read an entire series) would be Brandon Sanderson's Elantris, which is an extremely captivating novel that stands on its own - no sequels.

Other than that, readers who enjoy sci-fi/fantasy might like The Dragonbone Chair by Tad Williams, which is the first of a series. But I would not say it is as good as Wurts' writing.
hm...was just browsing through and thought I might ressurect this thread, as I am now in need of suggestions as well. I also wanted to post up a couple new titles...
Covenants and The King's Own by Lorna Freeman
East by Edith Pattou
The Pinhoe Egg another in the Chrestomancy stories by Diana Wynne Jones
One author.

Ted Dekker.

Black
Red
White
House
Obsessed
Saint
Showdown
Three
Blink

and these are just a few...
The Earthsea books from Ursula Le Guin are very interesting, imaginative and original, imho.

I've read four, ending with Tehanu but recently found out there's a fifth one.
The fifth book in Ursula K. LeGuin's Earthsea Cycle is Tales from Earthsea, (2001) contains five stories that cover periods before, during, and after the the times of the previous books and serve as a bridge to the sixth book in the cycle, the novel The Other Wind (2003).

I enjoyed them all.
i recently read a book called "the call of chlutu" (if i spelled the last word correctly Big Smile Smilie) amd i liked the book alot i cant now recall the author though...
That ought to be The Call of Cthulhu by H.P. Lovecraft.
that was it!
have you read the book vir?

After waiting for every new Feist and Kerr book to come out over the past twenty years my son recently introduced me to a different genre, Simon Scarrow's Eagle series. These are based on the Roman invasion of Britain, and although not the best written books that I have ever read, certainly give a feel for what it must have been like to be a Roman legionary in those days.

I just started A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin and love it. There's something about the way he writes that makes me want to keep reading. Another book I thought was pretty good was Starship Troopers. While it has the same basic idea of the cheesy movie of the same name, it's vast different in every other way.

I'm also reading A Game of Thrones at the moment, I'm at page 240 or something like that, and I also find this book very interesting, but lately my reading capacity has been quite low due to the fact that I easily fall asleep while reading, and sometimes I'm just way too sleepy forehand to read anything. But tonight, I'm going to read as much as I just can. Many good books are waiting to be read, but first I need to shape myself up, and begin to read like I used to.

I see you followed my recommendation, Oerath. Smile Smilie

I have no other books to recommend at the moment but A Game of Thrones (the series is called A Song of Ice and Fire). The plot is every bit as complex as LOTR's, and with its many characters and storylines it's enough to keep anyone reading - though I would watch out, its fighting scenes and adult scenes are not for the young or faint-hearted (makes me think that books should have a minimum age limit!).

It is a required read for fantasy lovers. Big Smile Smilie I think HBO are currently making a TV series of the first book.