Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Discworld/Terry Pratchett

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Books > Discworld/Terry Pratchett   
There have been several conversations about (or at least mentions of) Discworld and Terry Pratchett in other threads, so I thought it should have its own. So, what about it? What is your opinion of the books, your favorite quote/characters/book/whatever?

My favorite books are the ones with the night watch of Ankh-Morpork, especially Night Watch and Jingo. My favorite characters are Vimes, Carrot, and Vetinari, most of the time in that order. And the first quote that always comes to my mind? “There’s a saying that all roads lead to Ankh-Morpork. At least, there’s a saying that there’s a saying that all roads lead to Ankh-Morpork. And it’s wrong. All roads lead away from Ankh-Morpok; some people just walk along them the wrong way.” Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
Ah, i have too many favourites to mention. However, the first one i read was The Hogfather.
Carrot is one of the best characters, with his single sided view on the world, and his friendship, or at least respect that he gets unasked, with the whole city.
Some of the rarer characters in the book, that i really like, are the Nac-Mac Feegle clan( correct my spelling) Wee Mad Arthur, Cohen and Death.
My favorite character is Esmerelda "Granny" Weatherwax, the elder of the witches three. In Love Smilie

I'm also partial to the food vendor who shows up in all the books with similar names relative to the nation he resides. You really don't want to know the ingredients in that sausage on a stick, let alone eat it. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
Har har har!!! Grondy fancies Grany Weatherwax! Who would say? I got a picture of her Grondy, on the map of Lancre. She really is old! Elf With a Big Grin Smilie Pretty thin too. And Nanny!! She really looks like a gummy walnut! (or perhaps a sultana)
Thats C.M.O.T. Dibbler your thinking about Grondy. Orc Smiling Smilie Yeah...those sausages are LETHAL!!
My favourite is Mrs Doubtfire, not to mention Mrs Pennyfeather.
I love lots of characters in Discworld. They are all so bizarre in one way or another.

Dibbler, Carrot, Vimes, Vetinari, DEATH, WHO ONLY SPEAKS IN CAPITALS, the funny little guy who sweeps the temple, many more, not forgetting 'The Luggage'.

I wasn't quite as impressed with Going Postal as I was with the previous books but I still enjoyed it.
Im reading "Going Postal" as we speak. It seems okay for now..
I thought Going Postal was not as good as many others, but much better than Monstrous Regiment, which preceded it. Actually, most of MR was okay… I just didn’t feel that the end was… ready?... believable. I always feel weird saying that, because I mostly feel that anything can happen in Discworld. But I think that only pertains to the world. The people are ordinary, for the most part… even more ordinary than you would expect people who live in a place like Discworld (or who are characters in a fantasy) to be, most of the time. Especially in this book, at least the main character. And I think the end, the part I didn’t believe, was a people thing… SEMI-SPOILER (I tried to be as discreet as possible. Those who have read the book should know what I mean)… I just couldn’t believe that that many people could get away with that with only one person knowing, or that they could get to be so important and still let that be forbidden. Especially if people mostly follow the Duchess…. I don’t think she would disapprove, even if whichever god does… (was it Nuggan? I know he forbids weird things… or was it the Duchess that disapproved anyway, or not a religion thing at all? I can’t remember, and I don’t really care to read the book again…) END OF SEMI-SPOILER
The Watch is better, anyway. Much deeper characters… probably the deepest books are all the Watch after the first one, Witches Abroad, and Reaper ManElf With a Big Grin Smilie
You don't think Granny Weatherwax is lovable? We old people have feelings too. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie

I liked Monstrous Regiment and was expecting the end. Going Postal was okay, but I had trouble visulizing the piles and piles of unsent mail, but I did like the 'send a thief to catch a thief' simile. I'm trying to hold out for the paperbacked Thud. Is it about the Assassin's Guild (the sound of a sap on the head of a sap) or the Advertiser's Guild (the sound of an idea going over like a lead balloon.)

Small Gods is one of my favorites.
I believe Thud! is about the sound of a club hitting someone’s head and has to do with the Battle at Koom Valley (the only one known to history where each side ambushed the other) and the Watch (yay!). And I like Granny Weatherwax! I said I really liked Witches Abroad! (well, actually I just said it was deep… but I do really like it.) I think that is the one that shows her off the best. Lords and Ladies is more about Magrat, and Maskerade and Carpe Jugulum are more about Agnes/Perdita. Really, after WA, the best sense of her comes from the Tiffany Aching books (Wee Free Men and A Hat Full of Sky). By the way, does anyone else think Tiffany seems too old for ten or twelve or whatever she’s supposed to be? Or is it just that I can’t remember being 12 accurately (it wasn’t that long ago, either…)?
"Hogfather" was the first one i read, and thats probably why its one of my most favourite. But i really like "The Fifth Elephant" and "The Truth" as well.
Actually...i LOVE all of them. Some parts more or less, but there's something in everyone of them that is special and makes me want to read them!!! Elf With a Big Grin Smilie

I've read almost all of the Discworld books. I've enjoyed some more than others. The first Granny Weatherwax book I read was Equal Rites. She has grown on me since then, esecially after readying Witches Abroad, Lords and Ladies, and Maskerade. Granny is now one of my favorite characters. I epsecally liked the bit near the end of Makerade where Granny says (sorry, I don't remember the exact quote) something about Black Aliss being the meanest nastiest witch there ever was, and about being able to spit in her eye and kick her a**.  You have to love Granny.

Have to agree,love Granny's attitude to life in general! Love Pratchett, particularly liked the truth and wish that William De worde turned up as more than a bit player in the other books. I also love any Sam vimes books as the interplay between him and Lord V is great too. Strangely enough I found the series slow to get going, but have become more and more involved. As a science teacher I also enjoy the attitude to sciece in the books, gives me a good laugh!

I have never read Pratchett, Kafria. If I was to read one book, which one would you suggest?  

well, i would suggest the Wee free men trilogy 

I LOVE Good Omens, Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman, so, so much good......

Otherwise my favorites are:

Going Postal

Wee Free Men series

Maskerade.