Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Cronicles of Thomas Covenant

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Books > Cronicles of Thomas Covenant   
Having met Tolkiens world which I've been into and fro from 1974, I would like to introduce all of you to Stephen Donaldson. He has also made a world where as all often the fight goes between good and bad. And as in Tolkien's world it isn't the 12 feet high figure with enormous strength who always are the greatest hero. The greatest hero here is Thomas Covenant; the Unbeliever. the greatest and most struggles is inside his own mind. The looser becomes the winner. The failure becomes the hero. As I read these grat adventures, I see great battles going on in different levels I would like to discuss in this thread. I look forward to your opinions, you guys!
Greetings, Rafael. If you look into the "I'm currently reading..." thread, you will find what some of us said about the Thomas Covenant series. (Maybe one of the mods would like to transfer some of those comments here?) So without repeating everything I said, there, I'll just say I did like many aspects of that tale. But other aspects I didn't care for--although in all honesty it has been many years since I read those books. What else about Covenant did you like, Rafael?
Elf Smilie I do enjoy many aspects of the Unbeliever's world! It has been some years since I read the first and second Cronicles, so I have some rereading to do. What sparks me off in this direction this time is that I just have discovered a third Cronicle which is new to me. So here is conclusively also some new reading I have to endure! Elk Grinning Smilie
I think the only discussion about Thomas the Unbeliever can be found starting with Rafael's post of Tuesday 20th June 2006. No, there were a few earlier, but the best way to get to them would be to use our search function in the menu above and to the right.

I didn't realize there was a third series of those book; maybe I'll give them a try after I finish, or at least catch up with The Wheel of Time series.
Snowman Smilie As I told earlier there is a third serie in the Cronicles of the Unbeliever:The Runes of the Earth (The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant).

I haven't read it yet. Having just ordered it through Amazones, but I have started reading again the first six books.

These days we live in a sunny country so mostly I'm reading when I'm on my way into Morpheus arms. But it's so nice with a hot summer after a hard and snowy winter. Elf Smilie
I felt these books more than any I had read in a while. Of course, a lot of the emotions were sorrow and pain... but I loved the third book in the first series. And of course I love the Land. Covenant makes such a good hero/not hero, because even he cannot help loving the Land and wanting to help it, but he is most of all convinced that he is completely unable to do so. And of course I love Foamfollower!
Quote:
Covenant makes such a good hero/not hero

An anti-hero?
Oh yes! To me Thomas Covenant is a hero and an anti-hero. In the real world, being shunned from cpmmunity because of his lepra, he is a real looser. Being called to the Land, the inhabitants claim him a hero. In the struggle between evil and good, he is their last hope. Snowman Smilie
Quote:
In the real world, being shunned from cpmmunity because of his lepra, he is a real looser.

So then he's a pariah.
Yes, he is really a pariah; but I reckon that in some ways it might be a worse position to be shunned alone in a modern society. We don't really know what it might be like. I do not defend a class system, for sure. But in my mind a pariah althought a being on the bottom, lives in a class system and shares the pariah class with others. In a modern American society one is incommunicado, alone, left by everyone. There ain't even someone to the share bad things in life. No one would care whatever happens to him. None!!!!.
Nearly no one does, anyway. Only his wife and the doctors...

Quote:
In the struggle between evil and good, he is their last hope.

Yeah, but what I love is, at least at the end of the first Chronicle (I only got as far as part way through the second... I think I got new books then, and lost interest in pushing through the second, especially as it was a lot more painful than the first. The poor Land...), Covenant wins by not doing things. Most of all that he realizes that he must not kill Foul, because that would make things worse, that defeating him and having mercy on him is the way he will stay down the longest. I'm not sure I got that quite right because it's been a while, but something like that.
Quote:
Most of all that he realizes that he must not kill Foul, because that would make things worse, that defeating him and having mercy on him is the way he will stay down the longest. I'm not sure I got that quite right because it's been a while, but something like that.

If only the great (?) leaders of this world would take this truth to heart.
Could that also apply to a certain president? One may always discuss who or what is great leaders of this world.
He probably should have said fearless leaders or mindless leaders which better describes our current crop. However, we will get into politics if we start berating them and cause some to take umbrage, so I suggest we give it a pass.
Must have missed this thread... Ah, Thomas Covernant... the Chronicles were something of a cult when I was at University in the early 80's. It is a wonderful land that Donaldson has created, particularly the Laws that seem to hold it together, but what a strain to read... I'm sure the guy invents at least one word per page. And Covernant... what an anti-hero. In the first series he refuses to help the Land because he doesn't believe it exists (he even rapes the first person he meets there). In the second series, when he finally does believe and decides to help, he finds he cannot, and the power to help has been given to another "messed-up" character, Linden Avery.

There are some great characters and races in the books though... My favourite has to be Vain, however, an Ur-Vile creation who was made to restore the Staff of Power.

If I can summon the will to plough through them, I might just give them another go.
I have re-read The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant; The Unbeliever. The books do still fascinates me. His world, the Land is to me being actualized as we in our time are trying to unmake the laws of nature and may destroy Terra.

I will now start to read :The Runes of the Earth; The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant.
I'm reading the first book in the "Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant": "The Runes of the Earth"
As I've told before I enjoyed when I first read them, and I was positive surprised to re-read them now. But the last chronicles are boring to me. I do force myself to read them through!