Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Malazan book of the fallen

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Books > Malazan book of the fallen   

This is fast becoming my new favourite fantasy series. In a way, it is quite similar to Lord of the Rings. The author (Steven Erikson) is a scholar (palaeontologist/archaeologist) who uses a lot of his expertise in crafting the setting of his books, similar to how Tolkien injected his philology and knowledge of myths into his works.

There's also an amazing amount of depth and detail in the world, but never does the author spoonfeed it to the reader; just like with Tolkien the reader knows that there is a massive amount of background lore to the story, but most of it slowly trickles through as the reader progresses through the story.

There's a nice focus on realistic, morally grey characters, but never do they become the complete focus of the works so that it devolves into a soap opera (my main quibble with most modern fantasy, e.g. Wheel of Time, Song of Ice and Fire), in fact few characters are all important to the story and few of them are important enough to survive until the end.

Malazan I believe is the flagship of a new wave in fantasy fiction that focus more on realism rather than the escapism of high fantasy that was at the forefront of fantasy ever since the genre was reawakened in the 80s.

I've read about the series, and well, I think I will buy the first volume and see what it's all about.

The books seem to be quite long, which is always good, and people seem to praise them a lot. So..

Thanks for reminding about the series, Virumor. Smile Smilie

Now I just need to wait for monday, and see if I can find any from the local bookstore.

What is the story about though is it well written, i mean are the characters believable, does it use course language, could you please give us the feel and texture. I feel i would not have the heart to even begin if it is not something very unique and noble somehow.

Sounds interesting. I may look into it. How long is the series, just wondering

I checked it out and the whole series contains 10 volumes/books. They're quite long books, ranging from nearly 800 pages to 1300 pages. I am definitely going to check it out, 'cause if I like of it, besides 'a song of ice and fire' and 'dragonlance', it would be something to dig for months/years to come.

Virumor, I hope you're still out there, 'cause I've wanted to say this for a long while now.

Last year, I discovered a band called: 'Caladan Brood', and the band's lyrical content is drawn from 'Malazan: Book of the Fallen.'

I recall you listened to Summoning, which is the one band I love over everything else, so Caladan Brood should taste good too.

They drew a lot of inspiration from Summoning and - according to some people - ended up copying their music. But I don't think that's the case. Their music sounds good and in means of originality, it differs from Summoning in many ways. Anyway, that's what I wanted to say, since I remembered that I was supposed to go and buy those damn long and curious books.

And I'm going to carry out the plan.. But only when my wallet can afford it. It would be a shame to just buy one book at a time. I've done research, know where to get them, but I guess for now I'll have to continue spinning Caladan's absolutely brilliant cd (which I forgot to mention), 'Echoes of Battle'.

Until the next time.

- Oerath.