Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: H.P. Lovecraft

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Books > H.P. Lovecraft   

Hello to everyone and first of all, let me apologize for my lack of activity on this site; and most of all, on 'The Wanderer's Tavern'. I've been vacationing, and just recently, I was spending some of it in northern Finland. One could think that the north n' it's coldness would save poor Oerath's soul from all the warmth, but nay, all I got was more warmth.

But I enjoyed of my travels nonetheless. It was fun to see some friends, do some shopping and hey, I even got to visit the shop I very much intended to visit from the start. A place called 'Fantasy Shop' in the city of Oulu.

And from there, I bought a book that's the reason for this whole thread. 'The Complete Fiction' by H.P. Lovecraft, which I've found superbly magnificent and shadowy beyond words. I've come to realize that it's a rare find here in Finland, 'cause I haven't encountered the book in any internet bookstores so far, or even stores that hold books for sale. I'm no stranger to Lovecraft's short stories and novella's alike, but I didn't have any of his books until now. And this one, as 'The Complete Fiction' suggests; holds all of his 70+ stories, a very good introduction to Lovecraft n' his works and an essay called 'Supernatural horror in literature', written by the man himself, back in the day.

I was hasty and read a few selected stories, whilst I was in the northern part, but now I've began to read the book from the start. It holds over 1100 pages worth of reading, so it will be a long read. Oh boy, am I really looking forward to certain tales, that for now, lurk somewhere within the book's long range of pages. I came to know of Lovecraft for the first time, when I was about 12-13 years old. Me and my friend bought a movie called 'Dagon', and it caught my attention and it left me wondering: 'Based on H.P. Lovecraft's stories. Who is that?'

Well, after finding that out I still found myself unable to get my hands on his works, and if I had done so at such a young age, I probably wouldn't have been able to make sense of any of his tales. But now, they make so much sense.. So much..

And those of you, who've read his works, it may not come as a surprise that my favorite story of his is 'The Call of Cthulhu'. The story is shadowy, eccentric, mystical and very gripping. It seems that madness has taken a firm hold of me, 'cause at this point, all I can do is utter the following words, just to honor the great Cthulhu.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Partly kidding, but I dare you. Go n' get your hands on some of his books or stories, if weird fiction and tales about strange events and madness are to your taste.

I sure am going to have fun with my book.

That'll be all.

- Oerath.