Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Name creation

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Writing > Name creation   
Hi!!!!
I'm trying to construct two names in Quenya and i don't know how.
They are: 1."The one that walks on a dark road"
and 2.A name who's meaning is "good news" or "the bearer of good news"

Can anyone help??
"http://www.yourdictionary.com/dictionary-articles/english-elvish-dictionary.htm" Hope referring this helps u
Google 'English to Elvish Dictionary' and go to the one on the site 'Arwen Udomiel'
I am not very good in this but dare to try.

1.) I would try "Walker on dark road" or "Dark road walker" though it may not be as close to your idea as I think. Names for Walker we know: "Vantian" or "Vantil", both from the verb "vanta-" [to walk] stressed on first syllable "Van-". Dark road in Quenya (by my opinion) would sound like "morne tie" and then I think the whole thing would be "Mornetievantian" or "Mornetievantil", as the first meaning also "Dark road walking" and the second just "Dark road walker"

Another way would be with "tumna" for dark and therefrom: "Tumnatievantian" and "Tumnatievantil" (again with stressed -van-).

2.)For good news I would try "Good saying". We can use "mara" (with long first "a") and "quetie" for "saying" (but also word or words" with male endings like "-il" (with the last "-e- of quetie droped, otherwise if we put just -l then we will have a female name ending on -iel). Also useful might be the ending "-ndil" (friend, or one that loves/lover of) or "-colindo" (bearer/bringer). So we can have:
"Maraquetil" (one of good saying/one of good words) [Maa - ra - cue - til] stressed on third syllable;
"Maraquetiendil" (friend of good saying/friend of good words) [Maa - ra - cue - ti - e - ndil] stressed on third syllable;
"Maraquetiecolindo" (bearer of good words/bringer of good words) [Maa - ra - cue - ti - e - co - lin - do] stressed on seventh syllable;

Proper names normally do not receive definite or indefinite article. I have presumed you are looking for male names? If not, then endings must be changed. Just keep in mind that I am not very good in this.
You have covered me fully!!!!!!!
I truly thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My name is a direct translation of what my real given name "Cory" means in Celtic/Scottish (ravine/river) and then my "surname" is a form of "wise". So, my name Rissien Idhrenion translates roughly as "River of Wisdom" or, more accurately, "Wise Ravine." I prefer River of Wisdom. But my studies in the tongues of Elves are brief and just recently initiated.
Well I hope you keep up your Elven studies (delving into the languages is quite rewarding in my opinion), but interested in Tolkien's nomenclature as I am, I have a couple possible niggles here.

For myself I would need to see something from Tolkien (or be reminded of something) to accept riss 'cleft, ravine' as also meaning 'river' even as a rough translation. The basic meaning of the root RIS- is 'cut, cleave', and at the moment I don't recall any semantic extension to include 'river' or similar.

I suppose one could think of rivers as 'cutting' the land, but is this reflected in the languages of the Elves of Middle-earth?

Also, -ien, -ion have meanings, so for example, to me Rissien could mean 'land of the ravine, ravine-land' (compare Ithilien), or 'ravine-daughter.'

Idhren looks like an adjective (found in the Noldorin of the Etymologies), so *Riss Idhren could mean 'thoughtful (wise in this sense) ravine'.

Just my ramblings. I'm no expert myself in the tongues of Middle-earth, and don't be afraid to disagree with me if you do.
So basically his name means 'Ravine-land wise-daughter'?
I think that the ending -duin (as in Anduin and Baranduin) means river in Sindarin, and noen as well as idrhen can be used for wise (as well as thoughtful and sensible) so your name could be said in one word: Idrhenduin or Noenduin, depending on which one you prefer.
Not really an expert on the subject, but that's my opinion! Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
I mean Rissien could mean 'ravine-land' for example (Ithilien 'land of the Moon'), or 'ravine-daughter' (Lúthien 'daughter of flowers').

Since -ien can mean these things Smile Smilie

For 'River of Wisdom' I would used a gerund (verbal noun) rather than an adjective, like in Tolkien's Mereth Aderthad 'Feast of Reunion' (erthad 'uniting'). So using a different word...

... maybe *Duin Istad 'River of knowing (wisdom)'