Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: HoME volumes?

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > The History of > HoME volumes?   
How many volumes are there, exactly? Who 'wrote' them, or at least is credited for putting thenotes together? Also, why would the campus library, in thier 'old books sale', have three copies of volume four, and no others??? Was that an especially good volume or something? :P Thanks!
Home consists of 12 books (in order):
- The Book of Lost Tales 1
- The Book of Lost Tales 2
- The Lays of Beleriand
- The Shaping of Middle-earth
- The Lost Road and Other Writings
- The Return of the Shadow
- The Treason of Isengard
- The War of the Ring
- Sauron Defeated
- Morgoth's Ring
- The War of the Jewels
- The Peoples of Middle-earth

They basically collect and analyse material relating to Arda and ME, but are compiled and edited by his son, Christopher Tolkien.

Personally I own 6 of them, and have yet to read 5. :P (Hey, bear with me, I'm reading about 15 litterature books on 400 pages each EVERY semester!) Why your library has got four copies of that one I have no idea of, try asking them. Smile Smilie
If anything, what I've gathered from the table of contents the indication is that was a particularly UNinteresting one. I've got and loved LT1&2, but haven't read any of the others, and when the third and fourth were released my reactoipm was "oh, poetry [in which I had little interest at the time] and languages; guess we've exhausted narrative. Oh, well." Of course, since then the others have been released and I've made it to PT, where I've learned there's some meat on them bones later on (in particular Morgoth's Ring.) I'm waiting for someone to give me a reason to read three and four (my understanding is the bulk of TLoB is the Narn, and between the Silm, UT and LT2 I've already got the Narn in three forms.) I went by Half Price Books last week and, among other things, looked for HoME books; guess which was the only one they had? ;-p
I have read and own nine:
- The Book of Lost Tales 1
- The Book of Lost Tales 2
- The Lays of Beleriand
- The Shaping of Middle-earth
- The Lost Road and Other Writings
- The Return of the Shadow
- The Treason of Isengard
- The War of the Ring
The ninth is a compressed version of Sauron Defeated called The End of the Third Age. All of which are really good and interesting. Looks like I beat you on that one.Elf Winking Smilie Oh, no wait, you have some of the others, don't you?