IS HISTIRY OF MIDDLE-EARTH BOOKS ANY GOOD?

grondmaster

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Welcome to the Forum Hannum4. :)

I have only read Volumes I and II and was kind of bored. I assume the Plastic Squirrel will be along later to give you a better perspective on the series; he has read most of them. :cool:
'Share and enjoy'

Ungoliant

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Hi Hannum4. LT1 was the one I could never find, but if it's anything like LT2, then you'd get bored pretty fast. Don't get me wrong, the stories are nice, but I didn't like the storytellers gathering around the campfire stuff. Glad he left them out of Silm.

I liked The Shaping of ME and the Lost Road best. Haven't read any further volumes.

PlasticSquirrel

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Do I really seem to have read most of them? Fantastic, what a blag! I've only got Lost Tales 2, Lays of Beleriand and the Lost Road. Never read any others either.
As to whether they're any good, it depends on how much of an obssessive fan you are, as they are just notes and early drafts for what would later become the major works. CT's annotations are overly long and dull, and you do have to read about 99999 different versions of Beren and Luthien and Turin etc. etc. But it's worth it to get into the mind of a genius, and try and work out what made him tick.
Hard going, but quite rewarding, would be my opinion. Good luck Hannum4! :)
http://www.plasticsquirrel.co.uk for all your bizarre music and musings needs

Allyssa

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

The Peoples of Middle Earth has a lot of back ground info on the various races and prominant characters in ME if such things interest you. Has anyone read Morgoth's Ring?
"May the Angels Guide"

Ungoliant

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

It's so difficult to get Morgoth's Ring! The first 5 volumes of HoME are easily available, but not the rest.

hannum4

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

thaanks for all the welcomes. i just started reading LT 1 and i am bored out of my mind right now so i just hope it will get better as i go.

PlasticSquirrel

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Keep on hoping..... btw, you can get all of them at bol.com.
http://www.plasticsquirrel.co.uk for all your bizarre music and musings needs

Eryan

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I just read the Volume 5 (the only one). And it was worth while for the sake of the chapter 3 of the "Lost road", with the description of the garden of Elendil in Numenor.
It's a long while since I read something new of Tolkien's works and it was simply a delight! I WAS there - I have seen it! And the place is so beautiful.. almost so beautiful as Lothlorien... the same mixture of beauty and sadness and the feeling that all that beauty is already doomed, already "lost"...
Just a few pages but GREAT prose!

MerryPip

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

yeh, i really love anything with elves and the beauty of forests and stuff-- cant wait to read all volumes 1-12

Allyssa

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Just tried to order Morgoth's Ring at my fav. bookshop. They said they cant get it in until October! :verysad:

I just have to read: "Laws and Customs among the Eldar".
"May the Angels Guide"

Return to “The History of”