Other Ringbearers

rednell

Other Ringbearers

Post#1 » Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:41 pm

And in reply:
Gildor inglorion Posted Wednesday 7th April 2004 (12:21pm)

In response to Adweena (welcome to PT btw ), here ar the ringbearers that l know:

Elven Rings:

Nenya the Ring of Water was carried eastward from Eregion by Galadriel, who crossed the mountains and settled in the land of Lórien. Narya and Vilya had already been sent into the north by Celebrimbor, and were in the safekeeping of High King Gil-galad.Galadriel kept her Elven-ring throughout the later years of the Second Age, and the duration of the Third. Gil-galad gave his rings to lords in his service - Narya to Círdan at the Grey Havens, and Vilya to Elrond, who used it to found a haven of his own against Sauron in the midst of Eriador - Imladris, that Men came to call Rivendell. Círdan, too, passed on his Ring, to a Grey stranger who sailed into his havens out of the West, who would come to be known in later legends as Mithrandir, or Gandalf.

Dwarve Rings

Of the Dwarvebearers l only know 1: The Last Ring of the Dwarves. It was originally given to King Durin III of Khazad-dûm by the Elves of Eregion, and it remained in his line for thousands of years until it was inherited by Thrór, the King under the Mountain at Erebor. It was during Thrór's reign that Smaug descended on Erebor and drove the Dwarves into exile. Long after Erebor's destruction, Thrór passed the Ring to his son Thráin, who dwelt for many years as an exile from his ancient home. At last, Thráin set out on his own ill-fated Quest of Erebor, but he was captured by the spies of Sauron, and the Ring of Thrór was lost.

Men Rings

The Rings of Men were of: Khamûl, Murazor (the Witch-king himself), Dwar, Ji Indur, Akhorahil, Hoarmurath, Adunaphel, Ren and Uvatha.

l hope l helped you out

rednell

Other Ringbearers

Post#2 » Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:43 pm

In The Prancing Pony under I'm New:
Adweena Posted Wednesday 7th April 2004 (12:52am)

by the way does anybody know any of the elf, men or dwarve ringbearers? any help will be appreciated

I think this fits better as a thread of its own.

rednell

Other Ringbearers

Post#3 » Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:46 pm

Adweena Posted Wednesday 7th April 2004 (08:09pm)

thanks gildor
does anybody know what the names of the mens rings and the names of the ringbearers so i can match it up and thror's ring name please

tommie

Other Ringbearers

Post#4 » Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:18 am

Well, according to the Encyclopedia of Arda, the Ring of Thrór was also known as the Last of the Seven Rings, but nothing more is specified on the subject of names. It was the first of the Seven Dwarf-rings to be forged, but the last to be recovered by Sauron.

As for the Nine Rings, they don't seem to have any names, not that I can find anyway. I haven't got my books here, so I can't help you out further, sorry...

The bearers have been summed up above by Gildor. :)

valedhelgwath

Other Ringbearers

Post#5 » Thu Apr 08, 2004 2:02 pm

Men Rings

The Rings of Men were of: Khamûl, Murazor (the Witch-king himself), Dwar, Ji Indur, Akhorahil, Hoarmurath, Adunaphel, Ren and Uvatha.

Khamul the Easterling was actually the only nazgul to be named by Tolkien. Murazor was a Tolkien figure (the younger brother of one of the Numenorian kings) and is a strong contender to be the Witchking, although Tolkien never specified this. The other names are all names which were invented by Iron Crown Enterprises for their Middle Earth Role Playing game, and have no foundation in Tolkien's work at all. All of them can be found in the I.C.E manual, Lords of Middle Earth Volume 2.

adweena

Other Ringbearers

Post#6 » Thu Apr 08, 2004 6:36 pm

thank you rednell for making a new thread for my question and thank yu for answering people

Vee

Other Ringbearers

Post#7 » Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:58 am

Ringbearers? I take that to mean those who bore the ring rather than those who possessed a ring. Call me nitpicky if you like but surely the only true Ringbearers would be Bilbo, Frodo and Sam.

Bilbo is a slightly grey area because he had the ring without knowing what it was and when it was discovered to be the One Ring he had already left it to Frodo. Bilbo was more of a Ringkeeper as he never took it anywhere. Frodo and Sam knew what they were doing with the ring.

Gollum just found it and treasured it. Isildur won it in battle and kept it but neither had any intention of destroying it. They were Ringhoggers!

This is just my interpretation. I don't know whether Tolkien himself ever referred to anyone and everyone who ever touch a ring of power as a Ringbearer.

virumor

Other Ringbearers

Post#8 » Fri Jul 16, 2004 5:10 am

I don't know whether JRRT wrote something about, but i too am inclined to say that "Ringbearer" only refers to the three who bore the One Ring : Bilbo, Frodo and Sam.

It's true that Bilbo didn't know that Gollum's ring was the one Ring, but still he bore it at times in the Shire : to escape from Lobelia, for instance. So he's a Ringbearer as well. Sam didn't bear it for very long himself, perhaps on a whole for a shorter time than Bilbo considering the fact that Bilbo had the Ring for 60 years, but the fact that Sam bore the Ring for just one moment makes him a Ringbearer as well.
Give up the Halfring, she-elf...

Vee

Other Ringbearers

Post#9 » Fri Jul 16, 2004 6:46 am

I am still undecided about Bilbo. After all, Gollum wore the ring, Isildur wore the ring and neither of them were trying to give it away or destroy it whereas the true Ringbearers were - i.e. Sam and Frodo. I think I shall give Bilbo the benefit of the doubt because he 'gave' it to Frodo when it was required of him to do so. His part in the Hobbit redeems him perhaps - working for good but in terms of how he came to have the ring he is not much different from Gollum/Smeagol who stole it from Deagol

perwing

Other Ringbearers

Post#10 » Fri Jul 16, 2004 1:47 pm

Bilbo was more of a Ringkeeper as he never took it anywhere. Frodo and Sam knew what they were doing with the ring.

IMHO: Bilbo had the ring on him at all time, so yes he DID take it somewhere (he "beared" the ring at all time, ergo he's a "Ringbearer"!)

oh, and btw. i also think Isildur and Gollum should be counted as Ringbearers. They did carry it, even though they didn't have the intention of destroying it. (Isildur actually did, up until the point he reached the Orodruin and changed his mind...)
I am Perwing - fear me!! ;-)
(just look at my pic, scary huh??)

Return to “The History of”