Random Questions From Newbies

valedhelgwath

Post#1 » Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:45 pm

Quite often we receive a post from a new member introducing themselves to the site, who then ask a series of LotR related questions. Frequently these questions are easy to answer, but the introduction thread is not the best place to answer them. Unfortunately, if there is more than one question, it is often difficult to then direct that new member to the relevent thread where their questions are answered.

To solve this, then, I have opened this thread where such questions can be pasted and answered. If any of you come across such questions and feel you know the answer, feel free to paste them here with your answer, but please remember to leave a link in the relevent post so that the new member can find their way here.

I shall begin with a series of questions posted today by Obsessed......

Where did Sauron come from?

Before the beginning of time, Eru, the one god, created the Valar and the Maiar. These were powerful, deity-like spirits who helped create Ea, the earth. The Maiar tended to serve the more powerful Valar but some were very powerful in their own right. Sauron was one such Maiar spirit.

What are the wizards?

The wizards are what are known as Istari. Like Sauron, they too are Maiar spirits who have been sent to Middle Earth by the Valar to help the Free People of Middle Earth combat Sauron. They are under instruction to assist the Free People, however, and are not supposed to become tyrants in their own right as Saruman eventually did. Also, so that they can better understand the hearts of Men, they have been cloaked in the flesh of old men. There are five named wizards (Saruman, Gandalf, Radagast, Alatar, and Pallando), but there may have been more.

What is Tom B.? (And his wife seems very close to nature, could she be an entwife in a changed form?)

This has been discussed at great length in the various Tom Bombadil threads, and for a full answer you are best seeking your answer there. Basically, Tolkien did not explain what Tom was, beyond that he was an "enigma". Personally I believe he was another Maiar spirit, but others have different theories, including some who feel that Tom is actually Eru.

Goldberry is said to be the River Daughter. I think she is another Maiar spirit, in this case a water spirit.

Is Mr. Willow a Heuron?

Tolkien did not say so specifically, but I believe Old Man Willow was a Huorn. He certainly had the characteristics of one.

What happened in the first age (this seems like one of the more interesting ages.)

This one really is too long for here. Two thirds of the Silmarillion are concerned with this age.

Why send Legolas on the fellowship when Glorfindel seems much more suited for the job of fighting off Nazgoul and other bag guys?

Several reasons really.
1) Glorfindel was needed for the defence of Rivendell.
2) He may have felt he had already done his bit during the first two ages.
3) Legolas represented the Wood Elves, and as they greatly outnumbered the surviving Noldor Elves, it was felt they should be involved in the affairs of Middle Earth.
4) Legolas volunteered. Glorfindel did not.

obsessed

Post#2 » Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:53 pm

Thank you for the answers. Looks like I'm going to be picking up a copy of the Silmarillion very soon.

floyd_n_milan

Post#3 » Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:08 am

Errrr. Should I post my questions here? :wary: :orchuh:

valedhelgwath

Post#4 » Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:22 am

Errrr. Should I post my questions here?

If there were any unanswered ones from when you first joined, Floyd, I guess this would be a good place. After people have been here a while, though, most should be able to find the relevent threads elsewhere.

pologamgee

Post#5 » Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:29 pm

Thanks for the starter info. I have read LOTR, and The Hobbit mutiple times, but I am new to The Silmarillion and History of Middle Earth. I was wondering if there is an order that is best to read them. Or if I should just go in order? :read:
Thanks!

Elfstone

Post#6 » Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:46 pm

but I am new to The Silmarillion and History of Middle Earth. I was wondering if there is an order that is best to read them.

Definitely read The Silmarillion first Polo, then UT after that. HOME should probably be the last thing you read regarding Tolkien’s Ea (world).
:elfwink:
"I would have the Ring-bearer bring the crown to me, and let Mithrandir set it upon my head, if he will; for he has been the mover of all that has been accomplished, and this is his victory." Elessar

oloriniwasinmyyouth

Post#7 » Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:54 pm

If I may add to that, elfy, I would say read the Sil, then Unfinished Tales, and then go back and re-read LOTR. You will be stunned by what you missed the first time, and will enjoy the books on a far different level.

valedhelgwath

Post#8 » Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:11 am

That's a pretty good observation, Olorin. Certainly regards the history and geneologies of the characters and races, so much more is clear. Along a similar vein, I spent quite a few years playing Middle Earth Roleplaying which uses very detailed maps of Middle Earth. When I first read LotR I was a little lost as to where the characters were actually heading etc. After playing MERP, however, the geography was so much clearer.

pologamgee

Post#9 » Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:09 pm

Thanks Elf, I am going to start The Silmarillion tomorrow. :read:

the legend master

Post#10 » Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:46 am

If you want to know lots of things about Middle Earth, but feel that the Silmarillion is too daunting a read, I can recomend the Tolkien Bestiary, by David Day. Its got loads of info on the races, flora, fauna and history of Middle Earth as well as some info onth e battles, places and peoples. It also has a time line for all the ages, and its illustrated with some great artwork (and some not so great, but hey!)

ISBN of my hardback copy is: O 85533 188 7

its long out of print, though may be reprinted since my copy - I know there was a softback edition too.

anyway, its well worth it!

Return to “The History of”