Random Questions From Newbies

Post#11 » Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:40 pm

what happened with Melkor and Sauron. Wasn't Melkor part of the Maiar and he tried to become the top dog or something?

Post#12 » Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:39 pm

what happened with Melkor and Sauron. Wasn't Melkor part of the Maiar and he tried to become the top dog or something?

Melkor was one of the Ainur (the greater of the holy ones, Maiar are the lesser spirits, servants to the Ainur), and in fact was considered to be the greatest, and most powerful of all the Ainur, his name literally translates to “he who arises in might”.

The best way to think of Melkor is like a fallen angel (Tolkien uses this comparison himself in Letters of JRRT). He went directly against Eru’s (the one God) wishes, and sought to create and rule for himself, which was forbidden by Eru, and fell to the “darkside” if you will. Sauron was originally a Maia servant to Melkor and was corrupted by him.
"I would have the Ring-bearer bring the crown to me, and let Mithrandir set it upon my head, if he will; for he has been the mover of all that has been accomplished, and this is his victory." Elessar

Post#13 » Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:02 pm

Yeah, if you're religious, he's basically Satan. NOT a nice guy. But he could've been nice. Ah, so sad... *tear tear*

Post#14 » Sun May 08, 2005 12:51 pm

How does Gandalf come to have Narya the Great when he is by no means elven.

Post#15 » Sun May 08, 2005 3:40 pm

Narya was originally entrusted to Cirdan, Lord of the Grey Havens, but he gave it into Gandalf's safekeeping as he may well have recognised Gandalf as being more than just a wise old man and Cirdan knew that Gandalf may well have need of the Red Ring's power to' rekindle hearts to the valour of old in a world that grows chill.'

Post#16 » Sun May 08, 2005 3:48 pm

You can find the source of Vee's above answer in Part Four of Unfinished Tales on the second page of Section 2, which is entitled 'The Istari'.
'Share and enjoy'

black sword

Post#17 » Tue May 24, 2005 7:34 pm

This bit about the rings is also in Appendix A of the LOTR. (where we learn that the 3 rings were originally bestowed with Gilgalad, Galadriel, and Cirdan. Gilgalad gave his to Elrond, and Cirdan did as Vee noted. ) I strongly recommend reading the appendices before the Sil. or UT if you haven't already. I read the LOTR before the Sil was even published, and they were all I could get. I consumed them. My impression from these threads is that people tend to skip them these days. But there is a lot about the Third Age that isn't anywhere else, or is not as well developed. There are also cultural aspects (especially, of course, the languages) that aren't told anywhere else.

I personally don't consider HOME part of the ME canon. Most of it is preliminary versions of other stories, and it frequently contradicts the more polished final versions. That isn't to say there is not some good reading there.

Post#18 » Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:48 pm

what happened with Melkor

Maybe I've missed reading it but what happened to Melkor - as Sauron became the evil lord?

Post#19 » Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:54 pm

Maybe I've missed reading it but what happened to Melkor - as Sauron became the evil lord?

From the Silmarillion :

But Morgoth himself the Valar thrust through the Door of Night beyond the Walls of the World, into the Timeless Void; and a guard is set for ever on those walls, and Eärendil keeps watch upon the ramparts of the sky. Yet the lies that Melkor, the mighty and accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days.

Post#20 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:36 pm

I'm currently "studyin" the history of middle earth and was wondering if it is actualy worth spending all that money on them 12 books?
I've already bought three and was planning on getting the whole collection gradually but just today from some reason I calculated how much it'd cost me and well... it made me wonder if it is worth all the money...
(the rest of the collection would be roughly 100pounds...)

Return to “The History of”