The Most Important Battle

The Cheesey

Post#1 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:24 am

What do you think was the most [u]Important battle[/u] in Middle Earth? I have been trying to work this out for a few days, and can't decide from

-The Disaster of Gladden Fields [The Ring is Lost]
-Battle of the Last Alliance [Sauron loses the Ring]
-Battle of Pelennor Fields. [Death of the Witch-King, Theoden and allows the Battle of the Black Gate, which allows Frodo to destroy the Ring]

and Possibly the battle of the Black gate, which allows Frodo to destroy the ring. What do you think was the most important?

Sian

Post#2 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:27 am

I think the Battle of the Last Alliance; Isildur cutting the Ring off of Sauron's hand was crucial, to me. After that, keeping it away from him was important but it had to be taken away first.

The Cheesey

Post#3 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:32 am

Exactly, but Isildur losing the Ring allowed it get passed down to Frodo, instead of staying on Isildur's mantelpiece allowing Frodo to eat scones, and possibly meaning it doesn't get destroyed.

Sian

Post#4 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:19 pm

I see your point, but I still think getting it away from Sauron in the first place takes precedence..

The Cheesey

Post#5 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:35 pm

Getting it away from Sauron was important, but Isildur [u]didn't[/u] destroy the ring. He could have done anything with it, and was going to leave it on his mantelpeice, until he got killed at Gladden Fields and lost the ring.

Fornad

Post#6 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:34 pm

Well, what about the ones before the Third Age? I would have the go with the Nírnaeth Arnoediad, since many of the Noldor and Edain were killed. It certainly was the largest battle in Arda's history, and the greatest victory for Morgoth.
EDIT: Though if you're talking about the most important battle for Good, then the Wrath of the Valar against Morgoth was it.

The Cheesey

Post#7 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:06 pm

The Most important battle for anyone, like if there was one that allowed Sauron to be king of Middle Earth and turn everyone into Orcs, or one that allowed Aragorn to overthrow middle earth, and replace all the orcs with humans again.

Fornad

Post#8 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:27 pm

Well, like I said. The Nírnaeth Arnoediad for Evil, and the Wrath of the Valar for Good.

Gimli_man43

Post#9 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:44 pm

I have to agree with Sian, the Last Alliance. If Sauron would have survived with the Ring, who knows what would have happened.

The Cheesey

Post#10 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:10 pm

However, Sauron "dying" and loosing the ring is less important than Isildur dying and loosing the ring, because if Isildur survived, he would have kept it, just not allowing it to be destroyed, but Sauron did die so he couldn't do anything with it.

Return to “The History of”