What language is the best?

thefunnyhobbit

Post#1 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:47 am

Hello Planet Tolkien people! I would just like to ask you guys what language in the world of Tolkien is the most beatiful? For example: Dwarven, Elven, Orc, Goblin or Giant? These were just examples so I wonder what language you love the most? My favorite one is Elven, what's yours?

l

Post#2 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:39 am

Sindarin and Quenya surely sound the most romantic and beautiful but I also was impressed by how powerful Khuzdul sounds. Surely the better language to impress someone or scare them, hehehehe.

So these three would be my favorite. Never took a liking in the darker languages you hear in the East and Mordor. *shudders*

thefunnyhobbit

Post#3 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:02 am

Giants can speak there own language (I think) and I'm sorry for mixing goblin and orc , anyway most people like Sindarin or Quenya, my favorite language is Quenya and Dwarven

thefunnyhobbit

Post#4 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:03 am

I mean: languages, not language

galin

Post#5 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:18 am

Hi, I prefer Grey-elven (Sindarin) over even High-elven (Quenya), as Exilic Quenya had developed a relatively restricted collection of sounds. Not that that in itself is bad of course, or even relatively bad. Quenya is still a very beautiful tongue in my opinion.

Minor point: orcs and goblins are the same thing so there is no differentiation of languages there. And I'm not sure that we have any examples of Giants speaking... maybe we do but I can't recall... unless you mean Ents or something.

Anyway, linguistic tastes can change, but today for me it's Sindarin.

glorfindel

Post#6 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:24 pm

I would have to say orc.

brego

Post#7 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:52 pm

I think that if we were lucky enough to hear some Entish, spoken by Fangorn, we would think it strangely beautiful.

Therian

Post#8 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:12 pm

I like Dwarven. It sounds cool.

brego

Post#9 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:32 am

Yes Balrogs. It's easy to forget that PJ got it right more than wrong in his films. The wonderful scene of Tree Beards Lament for the lost Ent Wives still brings a tear. Also the scene where ( although not true the books ) Tree Beard witnesses the destruction of Saruman on his own doorstep and realises that the war has come to him, is heartbreakingly palpable for me. I loved the sound of Fangorne voice. John Reece Davies did a great job.

Oerath Windsoul

Post#10 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:03 am

I agree with you, Balrogs. The Black Speech is very interesting as a language and it's certainly one of the darkest languages that has been in used in fantasy literature.

And here comes the interesting part.

Summoning recorded a song called 'Mirdautas Vras' for their album: 'Oath Bound', which was released in april, 2006.

'Mirdautas Vras' was written by using The Black Speech and according to some sources, it was the first song in music's history to feature lyrics written entirely in The Black Speech.

'Come explore the astral heights of the gallery of imagination and time.'

Return to “The History of”