still the best.....

PlasticSquirrel

still the best.....

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Can't stand the Hobbit, way too nice and cheesey and yuk!
http://www.plasticsquirrel.co.uk for all your bizarre music and musings needs

Boring

still the best.....

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Thats the right description Plastic!

Ungoliant

still the best.....

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I'll use your excuse then Plastic, just substitute 'the Hobbit' for 'HP movie':

...but I loved the Harry potter movie just cos it was so corny and nice. Not too taxing and just what you need when you're feeling down.

zza

still the best.....

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I have to agrree with Plastic - its too simple for us 'adults', uuh. But at least it gives us some background for LOTR.

Now my next mission, if I've spare $$ for the Silma - then we'll get the whole picture.

Ungoliant

still the best.....

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Well zza, even LotR is a simple children's fantasy (for 10-15 year olds perhaps?), if you think about it. It's just that adults seem to like it. I like the Hobbit because it is simple and delightful - written for all children from the ages of 5 to 55. :)

PlasticSquirrel

still the best.....

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Very good point Golly, I s'pose I do read the Hobbit when I'm in one of my *interesting* moods. (Well I did before I got hold of Harry anyway, sorry people). Nice when you need to be 7 years old again.

Mirkgirl

still the best.....

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

The Hobbit is a good book and it isn't childish exept for people who try to prove how old and wise they are.

But still it cannot be compared with TLotR - it is a work of another level!

PlasticSquirrel

still the best.....

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Fair point Mirkgirl, I hang my head in shame, welcome to the Forum by the way, and well done on bringing me down a peg or two ;)

Ungoliant

still the best.....

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I guess it all depends on your mood. Sometimes I prefer LotR, sometimes I'd rather read Silm, and sometimes the Hobbit. It really makes no difference to me since I love 'em all. :)

grondmaster

still the best.....

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Welcome Mirkgirl. :)

I like the Hobbit because it is like a fairy tale, its linear, you don't have to know anything else about the world in which it takes place.

Of course for the opposite reason I like LOTR because you can delve into Middle Earth's history.

I usually start over with The Hobbit, but think next time I will jump into the middle of The Silmarilion and read about Nemenor.

'Share and enjoy'

Return to “The Hobbit”