The elven swords....

wardrock

The elven swords....

Post#1 » Sun Mar 28, 2004 8:12 pm

I need some help please in finding out the names and nicknames of the elvish swords from this book, I cant seem to find this information anywhere. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!!

vilyon

The elven swords....

Post#2 » Sun Mar 28, 2004 10:26 pm

Orchist-beater
Glamdring-biter, foe-hammer

grondmaster

The elven swords....

Post#3 » Mon Mar 29, 2004 6:59 pm

:happyelf: The above is almost right; however, Orcrist was "Goblin-cleaver" and Glandring was "Foe-hammer" as translated by Elrond in 'A Short Rest', Chapter 3 of The Hobbit.

In 'Over Hill and Under Hill', Chapter 4, the Goblins called Orcrist "Biter" and Glamdring "Beater". :elfcool:
'Share and enjoy'

randalllin

The elven swords....

Post#4 » Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:06 pm

I love Glamdring!
I don't think you needed to know that but oh well!

galin

The elven swords....

Post#5 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:59 am

Glamdring has an interesting etymology: glam 'foe' with respect to the interpretation of the name of the sword -- but really it meant 'uproar, the confused yelling and bellowing of beasts', and Glamhoth meant 'the Yelling-horde'.

But Glamhoth became so firmly associated with Orcs that glam alone could be used of any body of orcs (and more loosely 'foe' in the sword-name I guess). And dring- meant 'beat, strike'.

Loss

The elven swords....

Post#6 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:04 am

Don't forget the most popular short-sword in the whole of Hobbit Lore... Sting! :orcsmilie:

"I will give you a name," he said to it, "and I shall call you Sting."

Chapter 8... Flies and Spiders... p. 167

grondmaster

The elven swords....

Post#7 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:11 pm

And lest we forget: Samwise Gamgee's faithful blade, Spreader, which he used for slicing taters and digging out noxious weed roots from his garden and flowerbeds; not to mention for spreading butter, jam, and jelly on a slice of freshly baked whole wheat bread. :elfbiggrin:
'Share and enjoy'

Thorin Oakenshield

The elven swords....

Post#8 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:31 am

And don't forget the swords of Eol and Thingol. One was called Angachel and the other one i can't remember. For more details about Thingol's sword you should consult Turin Turambar in the Silmarillion.
The Old that is Strong does not Wither.

Loss

The elven swords....

Post#9 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:30 am

Eol and Thingol are not character's from the Hobbit of which the first post requested, let alone their swords... Along with Samwise too :orchuh: But, I'm sure that in the background in the time of the Hobbit, ole Hamfast Gamgee must have used the Spreader before giving it to his son... He had to spread butter on twelve pieces of bread for his six children, daily... Plus more, if the hungry little Hobbits wanted supper too :orcsmilie:

Thorin Oakenshield

The elven swords....

Post#10 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:51 am

Oooops sorry folks I had forgotten that you were asking only for swords from the hobbit. Then don't forget Dratted; William's (the troll) sword. :orcgin:
The Old that is Strong does not Wither.

Return to “The Hobbit”