your favourite dwarf?

Ereinion

your favourite dwarf?

Post#1 » Mon May 08, 2006 1:14 pm

I have always Thorin the most he was the most, he was my favourite but who is your`s?

:orchuh:

Etharion

your favourite dwarf?

Post#2 » Mon May 08, 2006 2:47 pm

I think Thorin would be the choice with me too... But i think the next runner ups would be Dain (from the Iron Mountains) and Gimli.

virumor

your favourite dwarf?

Post#3 » Mon May 08, 2006 3:21 pm

My favourite dwarf is Grumpy.
Give up the Halfring, she-elf...

grondmaster

your favourite dwarf?

Post#4 » Mon May 08, 2006 5:05 pm

:withstupid: Yes, and after Grumpy should be Dopey followed by Durin the Deathless; though if we are limited to the Dwarves of The Hobbit, then I guess Balin would be my choice, for I think he was Bilbo's favorite.
'Share and enjoy'

Morambar

your favourite dwarf?

Post#5 » Mon May 08, 2006 5:22 pm

Telchar, whom for the longest time I thought was a Gnome of Eressea rather than a Dwarrow of Nogrod. Forger of Angrist, Narsil and (this last was news to me, but Wikipedia insists it's so) the Dragon Helm of Dor-lomin; how much would Middle-earth be different without him?

Νinerl

your favourite dwarf?

Post#6 » Tue May 09, 2006 8:59 am

I like Thorin too!He was brave and wise but he could be snoby at times don't you think? :elfconfused:

Loss

your favourite dwarf?

Post#7 » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:26 am

i like Bombur, hes the lazy one and the most fat, cracks me up everytime, but to be serious Thorin II Oakenshield, King under the Mountain. Broke my heart when he died :verysad: :orcsad:

leelee

your favourite dwarf?

Post#8 » Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:01 pm

I cried buckets as well when he died. But he brought his pain upon himself. He was just so obsessed.
I suppose, well it is hard. Balin and then Gimli. For all Gimli was included in the book I still did not learn enough about the real h im, the depth of him to satisfy me.
I was not truly fond of the dwarves if I am to be honest. While I admired them I did not identify with them

virumor

your favourite dwarf?

Post#9 » Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:38 pm

For all Gimli was included in the book I still did not learn enough about the real h im, the depth of him to satisfy me.

To understand a Dwarf, you'd have to be a Dwarf yourself, as even more than Elves they usually keep to themselves and never leave their mountain realms or underground halls, safe to trade some of their goods.

The Free Peoples of Middle-earth knew only a few words in Dwarven language ("Khâzad" being one of them) and hardly knew anything of the Dwarves' origins and beliefs (which is why there are a lot of tales about their afterlife, like that they would turn to stone, etc).

It seems that the information about the Dwarves in the Appendices, may all have been revealed by Gimli himself to the writer of it (I believe that section was part of Red Book of the Westmark), for instance it was Gimli who partly revealed the mystery of Dwarven women - he named Dís as being Thorin's sister.

Lucky though, that Tolkien's dwarves are benevolent, unlike the original Dwarves of Nidavellir from Nordic mythology, who are sly and cunning and whose crafts tend to cause their buyers quite some harm.
Give up the Halfring, she-elf...

Túrin Turambar

your favourite dwarf?

Post#10 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:12 am

my favourite drawf is the one from Austin Power movies...

Return to “The Hobbit”